User is not allowed access from Chrome

CloudWing93
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CloudWing93

I have been trying to restrict device access for a few of my users so they can only see the devices they use. From my understanding I should be able to restrict access to devices but they will still be able to login with chrome. In my testing I haven't been able to get that to work correctly. When I restrict access I am unable to login with chrome. Is there a setting that I am missing or am I just experiencing a bug?

2019-10-13 17:48:44.276 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://media.website.net:8096/emby/Users/authenticatebyname. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/77.0.3865.120 Safari/537.36
2019-10-13 17:48:44.285 Error HttpServer: User is not allowed access from this device.
2019-10-13 17:48:44.285 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 401 to 192.168.50.1. Time: 9ms. http://media.website.net:8096/emby/Users/authenticatebyname

• Solution

Hi, no, this isn't true anymore. Device access applies to everything now, so you'd have to enable it for them in device access. Curious, why does it matter what device they log on from?

• Like 1

CloudWing93

Mostly because when using the download feature it shows all the devices available not just the ones that user has logged into. While that isn't that big of an issue I share my server with a handful of close friends and I don't really want them to see the devices my family uses. As a side note it might be worthwhile to update the wiki as it still states that web browsers will still allow you to login when restricting device access.

I guess i nice middle ground would be to have an option to allow access to new devices as they login to them instead of a blanket allow or disallow

Edited by CloudWing93

Thanks for the feedback. Ultimately what I think we need to do is remove the device access feature altogether as it is a difficult to use feature, and then improve the selection of devices that a user is able to Download to.

• Like 1