DNLA DVR playback back audio video sync issue on newer Samsung TV

FreeBSD_Lover

FreeBSD_Lover

So, I am now a paid member of Emby! Got the LiveTV abd DVR working with my HD-HOMERUN tuner and a shiny antenna picking up three "Over The Air" channels, with a TV guide to boot! Love it!

When we playback our recorded TV shows on the newer Samsung TV, the audio and video are badly out of sync.  I searched the forum for this issue in DLNA but didn't find one.  I'm guessing I need to tweak my transcoding profile for Samsung, so if someone can offer some advice that would be great.  The same TV show will play fine on my PS3 via DLNA.

A bit of system info:

Emby Version 4.2.1.0

FreeBSD version 11.3-RELEASE-p3

Samsung - 1st gen Tizen OS I think it is.

HD Homerun is not transcoding and file output is mpegts

FreeBSD_Lover

Nope not saying that.  I don't know if Emby is transcoding or not.  What I do know, and trying to say is:

When using Emby DLNA; mpegts dvr recorded files have a bad audio video sync playback issue.

When using miniDLNA, which does not have any transcoding capabilities, the playback is perfectly fine for the same media files.

So that suggests:

TV can play the mpegts file fine.

Emby seems to be 'touching' the file; or doing something to the stream; that causes the audio/video to be out of sync.

• 1 month later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Sorry the delay Luke, work work work!  Here is the log, slightly sanitized. :)

I noticed a few days ago that the same Emby recorded shows that have this audio  / video sync issue on the Samsung TV, do not have this issue on playback via emby dlna to a Sony ps3.  So, in other words I am pretty sure that this is a playback issue on my Samsung TV.

The delay in audio to video is about 5 seconds.

So to summarize from the same FreeBSD server:

Emby DLNA to Samsung TV = issue

MiniDLNA to same Samsung TV = No issue

Emby DLNA to Sony PS3 = no issue

Here is the TV info:

Model # UN32J5500AF

Type # UN32J5500

So, I am pretty sure the issue is, somehow when Emby DLNA streams the mpeg ts stream it does something a tad bit different that shags the audio and video sync.  I also noticed that the audio starts over at 5 seconds.  I have been playing around with a profile for Samsung TV, tinkering with the Direct, Transcoding, and Container settings, trying to force it to transcode, to see if that would fix the issue, but nothing I try seems to make a difference.

emby_server.txt

Edited by FreeBSD_Lover

FreeBSD_Lover

Yes I am pretty sure it was Luke because I did not see process "ffmpeg" get launched; nor was emby process eating any cpu. So yeah I would say it was direct streaming. That just said for the media in question (mpeg ts) emby will direct stream to Sony PS3 too, and it works fine. And that just said I am pretty sure emby transcodes the video during recording, if that matters to you folks.  I was trying to force it to transcode on playback for that Samsung TV, using with those profile settings in emby, just to see if transcoding would be a workaround. But I just can't get it to transcode.

No I did not upgrade to 4.3 because:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79613-emby-dlna-stopped-working-on-emby-stable-43026/

Which does not seem to have a confirmed resolution in it. So I don't want to upgrade until there are no known DLNA issues. I am a heavy DLNA user as you already know; see previous posts.

Edited by FreeBSD_Lover

Ok, if it's direct playing i'm not sure what we can do as the TV is just getting the original file as-is. The main question I guess is whether or not it should be.

FreeBSD_Lover

...... the TV is just getting the original file as-is. The main question I guess is whether or not it should be.

True, but that original file was created by Emby.  I don't expect you folks to achieve perfection for every TV out there, and you folks are certainly trying.  :)  If there was a way I could set up a DLNA profile to force emby to transcode for this TV I would certainly try it.  If anyone from this forum or emby staff knows the profile I need to build that would be much appreciated, since I have tried to force emby to transcode without success.

If I get sometime I will try to change the settings on my HDhomerun tuner and/or turn on the transcoding setting in emby for HDhomerun.  I currently have HDHomerun set to "no transcoding", which means emby transcodes every recording its doing.  If any HDhomerun users are reading this let me know if (a) you had the same issue as this, and (B) what settings you changed to resolve it.

You know.....If you got your emby app available in the Samsung store for my TV this conversation would simply go away.  ;)

FreeBSD_Lover

Well I'm really not a fan of installing software that is not the TV store. But I went and did it anyway. Easy peesy, instructions worked perfectly, and the UI is perfect, nicer than Plex in my opinion, and my wife loves it too.

I'm still a hardcore DLNA user, and I will would like to see me getting this issue resolved on the TV. I mean I would like to know how to force transcoding on this TV.  Luke and staff I don't expect you folks to burn time on this issue for me, but you should consider it for others. So I'll let you decide what to do with this discussion. Let others decide really, I say.

Would be nice if there was a cook book pinned list of customized dlna profiles on the forum.  Not sure how you get that sort of knowledge easily clearly (without much effrto) from your users to list though.

One last note; I spent a couple hours trying to force transcoding, and either I could not, or when emby seem to trigger ffmpeg to kick in, it got caught in a nasty loop.  The movie would show loading on the TV, ffmpeg starts eating cpu, then the movie would 'restart' loading on the tv, which started another instance of ffmpeg. Anyway about 20 seconds later I had 5 or 6 instances of ffmpeg running, and my Ryzen 1600 was pinned 0% idle. I had to shutdown emby and kill -1 xxxxx the pids. FYI for you folks.