Live TV and Recording Live TV is not working

jbowen73

jbowen73

So as of a few weeks ago Emby stopped Recording Live TV altogether and I can't get live TV to stream from any device.  I noticed there were a few upgrades recently and I'm on version 4.2.1.0 Windows server.

I can stream previously recorded videos, but new recordings never get recorded and trying to watch live TV I just get a blank screen and the spinning wheel of death.  5da0d5160c10e_Capture.jpg

Hi.  What is the source of your Live TV?  Does that source work directly from another app?

That timing lines up with when most online providers went down...

jbowen73

I really think the problem has something to do with this:

ffmpeg version 4.0.3-emby_2019_04_09-g5abbb1430d+449 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC  built with gcc 8.3.0 (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project)Local Time: 22:59:15T=0.000sT=0.031s[mpegts @ 000001dc8aa30600] Could not detect TS packet size, defaulting to non-FEC/DVHShttp://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/a428d3d267d54d12a9692f48d2965a61/stream.ts: could not find codec parameters

jbowen73

I see others are having  similar issues with this problem. 

Here are a few trouble shooting steps that I've taken.

1) upgraded to the Beta version.  (Still no live TV same results.)

2) Tried to replace the FFMPEG.EXE file with other versions.  (Still no live TV)

3) Uninstalled Emby and reinstalled current version 4.2.1.0.  (Still no live TV)

I can watch live TV using WinTV8.5 which is the native application my Hauppauge card uses. 

I can provide more up to date logs if you would like.

jbowen73

Ok so after days of researching and trying multiple things. I have the problem solved.

Somehow the "Live TV" Buffer in the native application was set to "Blank" or null.  This was the cause of the problem the entire time.  Which makes a little sense to me in retrospect.  The transcoding and recording can't happen if the buffer is 0.  I'm not certain if this problem was there prior to build 4.2.1.0.  But since that build I've had this problem.  However today since I increased that buffer to 5 minutes I can now watch live TV once again.  I haven't tested to see if recording TV Works but I'm assuming it will work just fine.   This setting is not accessible through the Emby configuration.  I had to manually change it in my "WinTV8.5" application under the "settings> Capture> " then setting the buffer size to more than 0.

gungatim

I had the same issue a month or so ago. I posted the fix for others, must not have come up in the search....the buffer has to be >0 or there's nothing for Emby to record/play....

• Like 1

jbowen73

I had the same issue a month or so ago. I posted the fix for others, must not have come up in the search....the buffer has to be >0 or there's nothing for Emby to record/play....

Shoot... wish you would have posted this sooner.  But it's all good I'm getting the live TV to work just fine!  Thanks for the input I was hoping to help someone else out as well... maybe between my topic and yours someone else will be saved from the headache of trying to find the solution.

gungatim

Shoot... wish you would have posted this sooner.  But it's all good I'm getting the live TV to work just fine!  Thanks for the input I was hoping to help someone else out as well... maybe between my topic and yours someone else will be saved from the headache of trying to find the solution.

They should add it to the wiki on live tv as the first thing to check...