Separate thumbnail creation from library scan

runtimesandbox
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

runtimesandbox

It seems that when "Enable thumbnail image creation" in library settings is ticked along with "Create thumbnail images during the library scan" the ffprobe process appears to be stuck waiting for the thumbnail extraction to finish before moving to the next item (ie tv series). This means that the library scan adding all items takes 10x longer and items are unplayable until the thumbnail extraction process has caught up.

Could the two processes be independent of each other so that all items are scanned with ffprobe and browseable in the library whilst thumbnails are still being extracted? 

runtimesandbox

Yes I have. If i untick "Create thumbnail images during the library scan"  the scan with ffprobe runs quickly. However I want to keep that option enabled so that when new items are added it starts the thumbnail extraction as soon as possible

• Solution

It's one or the other. If you want it with the scan, then yes it will slow down the scan. If you want it in the background, then it will be handled via the scheduled task.

• Like 1

What you requested (the separation of the two processes) is possible now via an option.  It is also possible for you to manually kick off the thumbnail extraction whenever you want and/or set it on a different schedule.  Will mark as answered for now.

Thanks.