HW Acceleration broken, DS918+

echoghost

Thanks for your fast response! But this guide is for windows/linux only... I am talking about a Synology DS918+ NAS... your guide says nothing about NAS devices. 

Did you explore clicking on Linux?

Did you explore clicking on Linux?

Hey Luke,

I did! But there is nothing helpful for me. Its said, that the Intel CPU used in Synology DS918+ is supported everywhere, but for me it's not working and I have no idea why. In plex it's working fine with hw.

Hey Luke,

I did! But there is nothing helpful for me. Its said, that the Intel CPU used in Synology DS918+ is supported everywhere, but for me it's not working and I have no idea why. In plex it's working fine with hw.

Please attach the hardware detection log. Thanks.

Please attach the hardware detection log. Thanks.

Just found this in the acceleration log: 

"Error": {
"Number": -1,
"Message": "Failed to open the drm device /dev/dri/renderD128"
}

Looks like thats the error I'm facing... what's needed to have the emby-server giving access to this device? 

Full log is attached

hardware_detection-63718268714.txt

Edited by eyeSome

Hey together,

found the reason: First... My embysvr-User wasn't a member of the group "video" within synology DSM. After that I restarted emby and it did not work either. The reason: The user-permissions are not getting updated when you're just restarting emby. You need to stop and start emby and then the permissions got updated. Now I have hw acceleration working!

Best regards!

• Like 1

Brudertac

Hm, on my Sys the embysrv User is NOT Member of the Video Group. HW acceleration work fine...

@luke 

Is it recommended / needed to add embysrv to the Video Group on Synology Systems?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey together,

found the reason: First... My embysvr-User wasn't a member of the group "video" within synology DSM. After that I restarted emby and it did not work either. The reason: The user-permissions are not getting updated when you're just restarting emby. You need to stop and start emby and then the permissions got updated. Now I have hw acceleration working!

Best regards!

@@eyeSome - Excellent! Good catch!

Only yesterday I had written an internal message that we should check for the permissions of the account under which Emby is running on Synology...

Hm, on my Sys the embysrv User is NOT Member of the Video Group. HW acceleration work fine...

@luke 

Is it recommended / needed to add embysrv to the Video Group on Synology Systems?

Thanks.

That is the question of the day - we'll have to wait for our Synology expert to answer that...

Something strange happened on my system. When I checked the permissions of /dev/dri/ before it looked like this:

$ ls -al /dev/dri/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root       100 Feb  9 22:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root     18940 Feb 18 17:29 ..
crw-rw----  1 root video 226,   0 Feb 21 16:38 card0
crw-rw----  1 root video 226,  64 Feb 21 16:38 controlD64
crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 128 Feb 21 16:38 renderD128

In this case it's needed to be member of the group "video" to access the renderD128. I now checked again and it looks like this:

$ ls -al /dev/dri/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root       100 Feb  9 22:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root     18940 Feb 18 17:29 ..
crw-rw-rw-  1 root video 226,   0 Feb 21 16:38 card0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root video 226,  64 Feb 21 16:38 controlD64
crw-rw-rw-  1 root video 226, 128 Feb 21 16:38 renderD128

With this configuration it's NOT necessary to be member of the video-group because "any" can access the driver. But this does not look very safe to me. 

It looks like that something is changing the chmod of the files, but I don't know who or which process did this. 

For now I'm on the safe site with the user beeing member of the group. When adding the user I noticed, that the service-user of my plex-server is already member of this group. 

Edited by eyeSome

• 3 weeks later...
eyeSome

Hey @Luke 

Thanks for asking! For me the problem is solved. But for others rushing into the same problem there should be a small NAS FAQ somewhere mentioning that it "may" be needed to add the emby-user to the video-group. 

Best regards!

Thanks for the feedback !

@@cayars will add that to the Synology portion of the hardware acceleration setup guide.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Jturquette

Hi there, new to Emby. I have been looking and do not see a synology section to the hardware encoding section. is this updated?

My situation is the following: running emby server on a synology NAS DS418 play.  I have a stutter during the playback of lossless MP4 video file created in M4V converter plus.. I use this program to remove the DRM of my itunes content to make it available to my apple TV 4th generations. I have tried many variants of DRM removes formats to try and combat this problem.  I find that Lossless MOV files work without the stuttering because the file goes from direct play to some type of transcoding. I am wondering if I need to get a premeir subscriptions to enable the hardware acceleration.

3 minutes ago, Jturquette said:

Hi there, new to Emby. I have been looking and do not see a synology section to the hardware encoding section. is this updated?

My situation is the following: running emby server on a synology NAS DS418 play.  I have a stutter during the playback of lossless MP4 video file created in M4V converter plus.. I use this program to remove the DRM of my itunes content to make it available to my apple TV 4th generations. I have tried many variants of DRM removes formats to try and combat this problem.  I find that Lossless MOV files work without the stuttering because the file goes from direct play to some type of transcoding. I am wondering if I need to get a premeir subscriptions to enable the hardware acceleration.

Hi there, welcome. Yes, hardware acceleration requires Emby Premiere.

Jturquette

Aaah, I see.

Is hardware acceleration supported with the synology NAS devices? (DS418Play)

Does it make a difference with direct playing wersus direct streaming, versus transcoding?

Thanks for quickly responding.

Hardware acceleration is used when transcoding. When direct playing or direct streaming, there's no transcoding involved, thus no need for hardware acceleration.