HW Acceleration broken, DS918+

echoghost

processcreative

Thanks Luke, I'll just wait for a fix to rollout... in the meantime it's back to Plex for now as that's working smoothly. I switch between the two as bugs rise and fall!

Thanks Luke, I'll just wait for a fix to rollout... in the meantime it's back to Plex for now as that's working smoothly. I switch between the two as bugs rise and fall!

Hi, we don't even know what your issue is. The issue in this topic has already been solved for the user above.

processcreative

Hi, we don't even know what your issue is. The issue in this topic has already been solved for the user above.

Apologies, I had read elsewhere that some users found that HEVC 10bit files are not using HW acceleration, that's the issue I have. x264 files are fine, but HEVC 10bit falls back to software transcoding which maxes out the processor and render my DS718+ unusable. I've tried switching off the decoders as mentioned in this post, rebooting the NAS, restarting emby, but nothing changes.

I'm not sure what logs I need to supply to identify the issue? I share my library out with a couple of people and video files are transcoded to 720p to those remote users, however now it's not possible.

If someone can point me in the right direction as to what logs etc to post I'll sort it asap.

TIA

J

It's broken again. same issue as before, restarting emby does not fix anything unlike before. same file. logs attached.

Try rebooting the NAS, also check the amount of free space the system drive of the nas has.

echoghost

nas has plenty of system drive space.

Is rebooting the nas every few weeks going to be the only option to fix this? this is an emby bug, plex has no such issues running on the same NAS.

processcreative

Same here, rebooting the NAS makes no difference. Plex works with HW acceleration just fine, emby falls back to SW every time and the NAS becomes virtually unusable. Over 3 terabytes of available space on the 718+.

processcreative

Also here same Problem on my DS918+. What can i do to help find the Problem?

It's very frustrating, my server is now useless when I'm not on the LAN as I need the HW acceleration to transcode large files on the fly. Also frustrating that this thread is marked as 'Solved' when obviously lots of people have the same issue as us!

processcreative

It's very frustrating, my server is now useless when I'm not on the LAN as I need the HW acceleration to transcode large files on the fly. Also frustrating that this thread is marked as 'Solved' when obviously lots of people have the same issue as us!

Just noticed it isn't flagged as Solved any more, my mistake!!!

chacawaca

Seem to work here, test on 4.3.0.30 with a firefox client.

5df39ab84f087_Sanstitre.png

5df39ac62a5cd_Sanstitre2.png

Affected codecs:
>>>>>> VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)
Adapter #0: 'HD Graphics 500' Id:23173 (Driver: Intel i965 driver for Intel® Broxton - 2.3.0, Vendor: Intel Corporation)
Frame Sizes: max 4096x4096
Color Formats: NV12, P010, NV16
Profiles: Main Profile (Level 6 (Main)), Main 10 Profile (Level 6 (Main))

>>>>>> VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.264 (AVC)
Adapter #0: 'HD Graphics 500' Id:23173 (Driver: Intel i965 driver for Intel® Broxton - 2.3.0, Vendor: Intel Corporation)
Frame Sizes: 32x32...4096x4096
Color Formats: NV12, P010
Profiles: Constrained Baseline Profile (Level 6), Main Profile (Level 6), High Profile (Level 6)

>>>>>> FindVideoDecoder - MediaType: hevc, Mode: Custom
Info FindVideoDecoder - Checking: 'VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)' (Priority: 100)
Info FindVideoDecoder - Check successful - selecting 'VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)'

>>>>>> FindVideoEncoder - Media: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, Mode: Custom
Info FindVideoEncoder - Checking: 'VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.264 (AVC)' (Priority: 100)
Info Encoder supports input stream
Info FindVideoEncoder - Check successful - selecting 'VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.264 (AVC)'

14:03:38.105 Stream mapping:
14:03:38.105 Stream #0:0 (hevc) -> scale_vaapi (graph 0)
14:03:38.105 scale_vaapi (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (h264_vaapi)
14:03:38.105 Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> aac (native))
14:03:38.105 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
14:03:38.141 [segment @ 0x1099c80] Opening '/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/transcoding-temp/75c1989d874b2aef4a98a372e0a2eb43181.ts.tmp' for writing
14:03:38.142 Output #0, segment, to '/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/transcoding-temp/75c1989d874b2aef4a98a372e0a2eb43%d.ts':
14:03:38.142 Metadata:
14:03:38.142 encoder : Lavf58.31.104
14:03:38.142 Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (h264_vaapi) (High), vaapi_vld, 1280x544 [sAR 1:1 DAR 40:17], q=-1--1, 2616 kb/s, Level 41, 23.98 fps, 90k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
14:03:38.142 encoder : Lavc58.56.101 h264_vaapi
14:03:38.142 Stream #0:1(fre): Audio: aac (LC), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s (default)
14:03:38.142 encoder : Lavc58.56.101 aac
14:03:38.608 frame= 30 fps=0.0 q=-0.0 size= 342kB time=00:09:04.34 bitrate= 5.2kbits/s throttle=off speed=1.09e+03x 

processcreative

DS918+ on DSM 6.2.2-24922 update 4, just for information

Is that a 10bit HEVC file? Mine works OK for x264 and 8bit HEVC but chokes on the 10bit files.

Brudertac

10 bit fail on hardware transcode than use software transcode. I can send log if luke need it.

Exactly what i see here on my Sys.

Hi guys,

I apologize for the problems youi're experiencing.

You need to uncheck the VAAPI HEVC decoder and leave all others checked. 

This way, you'll get hw acceleration for encoding.

(Encoding is the most important and most expensive part of transcoding.)

Please try and let me know about your results.

Thanks,

softworkz

Edited by softworkz

Brudertac

Hi guys,

Thanks,

softworkz

With that Setting my Movie will not start. I only see the Spinning Circle....

echoghost

I want to be clear that this is not the issue that I am having, all videos fail hardware transcoding and there are no options to enable or disable hardware transcoding for any particular codec like i showed in an earlier reply. it is not related to 10bit encoding

Edited by echoghost

I want to be clear that this is not the issue that I am having, all videos fail hardware transcoding and there are no options to enable or disable hardware transcoding for any particular codec like i showed in an earlier reply. it is not related to 10bit encoding

What options were showing for you before?

chacawaca

just to verify something, emby is installed directly on your synology or via docker ?

edit : after read your log your directly on your synology

Edited by chacawaca

Hi guys,

Thanks,

softworkz

sorry for my poor engligh,i am from china,and my synology is ds918.

my hw for hevc 10bit is broken too.

when i uncheck the vaapi hevc decoder and leave all other checked.

uncheck vaapi hevc decoder 

1080P hevc 10 bit,cpu occupancy 50,well play

2160P hevc 10 bit,cpu occupancy 99,play very very slow, about 13fps

check vaapi devc decoder

1080P hevc 10 bit,cpu occupancy 90,can play but i litter slow

2160P hevc 10 bit,cpu occupancy 99,play very very very very very very slow

hope the next version can fix it 

thanks emby,i love it