Status of 4k playback on Apple TV

sfatula

sfatula

I thought it was not working from some posts. But I have my first 4k video, and it works fine.

Is there some difference between my video and ones that don't work? Or, does it work now?

post-348227-0-32464100-1570691867_thumb.png

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

It's direct play, looks the same as 1080p version. Don't see any difference between my 1080p and 4k versions. I had thought I would need both, so that someday I could play 4k better.

Your example is played on a 4k tv. Mine is comparing on a 1080p projector.

Edited by sfatula

Guest asrequested

If it doesn't look any different to the 1080 SDR video, then that is the default action of mpv. HDR transfer/tone-mapping to look like HDR, is something that has to be intentionally configured. And is something I am continually working toward.

• 1 month later...
DingguoLee

If you direct play the video, you get something like this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70719-thoughts-on-the-best-emby-app-and-best-streaming-device-please/?p=780940

If you transcode the video, colors are washed.

Can you confirm if you are direct playing or transcoding?

If I have a SONY smart TV, like A9G, and I aslo wanna emby to manage all of my media contents, which on do you suggest between a apple tv or the new shield?And I could also install the emby app on the TV. All I want is to play the video directly other than transcoded by the NAS.

vdatanet

If I have a SONY smart TV, like A9G, and I aslo wanna emby to manage all of my media contents, which on do you suggest between a apple tv or the new shield?And I could also install the emby app on the TV. All I want is to play the video directly other than transcoded by the NAS.

I would install Emby app for your TV. If you are satisfied then you are done, otherwise buy an Nvidia Shield. If you want to play 4K HDR content, forget about the Emby app for Apple TV, at least for now.

OlivetIsa

@Luke do you think 10bit 4KLight HDR BluRay x265 compatibility will be available for Emby one day ? Just tried the same file with Plex and it's reading the movie without any problem. But I really prefer using Emby :)