21 replies to this topic

#1 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 AM

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

Good Day...Yesterday I had several recordings set but only 2 of them had complete recordings. The others quit recording after 2 minutes or 3 minutes. The recordings are from the majors ABS, CBS, NBC and FOX from the Chicago streams because Chicago airs about 2 hours earlier than any other geographic area. One of the Chicago streams did complete and the FX (non Chicago) recording also completed.

Recordings started at 7PM NCIS, The Resident...8PM FBI, Empire...9PM NCIS NOLA, New Amsterdam, Emergence

Logs attached...TIA...Cheers

Attached Files

#2 Scott D OFFLINE  

Scott D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 AM
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ USA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

I haven't looked at the logs, because I probably wouldn't know what I'm looking at in there.

In a different post you mentioned that you have a 4 tuner adapter.  Is it possible that the schedule is set to record 2 minutes before the start time and end 2 minutes after?  If that's the case, perhaps the conflict comes with the number of tuners as well as the number of shows being recorded during that 4 minute period of time.

Also, if the series are set to record on any channel, the number of tuners needed might be exceeding the available tuners.

Just something to consider when scheduling.

#3 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

Good Day Scott...Thanks for the reminder as I forgot to mention that I have set a buffer of 1 minute before and 1 minute after. But as stated above, I have recordings that only recorded for 2 mins total, 4 minutes total and 1 recording did not happen at all. The 4 tuner is an HDHR but I don't think it would have anything to do with that as it only brings in local stations. If the HDHR can also bring in IPTV channels, I am not aware of it (I wish it did). Yes, also they were set for any channel to record from as I wanted to check out the statement from an earlier post that said if I set it to record on any channel and it missed to record from 1 channel it would continue to record from the next instance of the same show.

Obviously that process failed so I will now set the recording to only record from only a specific channel tonight and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I will set to record from specific Chicago channels for some shows and the others will be recorded from other areas and also local channels.

Thanks for the advice...cheers.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts
  • Local time: 12:01 PM

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

Why do you feel they quit? which log file is from the time of the recordings?

#5 Scott D OFFLINE  

Scott D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

I am a bit confused, and utilize HDHR myself, so hopefully can avoid this type of problem in the future.

Are the programs coming in through the HDHR or some other way?

Above you said:  "The 4 tuner is an HDHR but I don't think it would have anything to do with that as it only brings in local stations."

Does this mean that you are utilizing an IP TV provider to supply the shows in question?  If so, is there a limit on the number of streams that can be running at one time?  If so, maybe the same problem but substitute "stream" for "tuner".

#6 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

Good Day...

@Luke...When I look at the length column and it indicates 2 minutes or 15 seconds or something other than what the TV show duration is, that's what makes me think the show did not record completely. Then I use MB to play the recording just to validate my finding and it indeed is short. I submitted the log files from this morning after I discovered the short recordings. I posted the times of the various TV shows to help in locating the issue within the logs as I do not know what to look for in the log files. If this does not help then after tonights airing of the shows I have set to record and if they fail, I will send those logs to you with the starting times as noted above. TYIA Luke.

@Scott...Only the local TV programs aka OTA are coming through my HDHR but I do not record those atm although I may need to. I am using an IPTV service's m3u file and the MB embedded TV Guide Data (not SD). For instance the Chicago stations (4 of them) are the ones I use to record from. Since they are the nationals (ABC,CBS etc) I could record the TV show through HDHR but would rather not simply because the Central time zone airs sooner. But if there is a limit of 4 at the same time for example, I would suspect that 4 shows would get recorded and not the other 2. But since the other 2 also air 2 hours later I would think they get recorded at that later time, but they didn't.

If there is a limit of simultaneous recordings, is ther a setting I can change? Thanks for the advice. Cheers...

#7 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

So here is my setup for tonight. All of the recordings have been set for the specific channel only with 1 minute before and 1 minute after.

5pm Chicago feed...Chicago Med

6pm Chicago feed...Chicago Fire, Almost Family from another Chicago feed

7pm Chicago feed...Stumptown, SWAT another Chicago feed

9pm OTA...SEAL Team

10pm OTA...Chicago PD

At most there are 2 TV shows recording at the same time and I have included OTA recording to rule out any issues. There are 3 days that I have recordings for 7 different TV shows and the other days are less recordings. I will share the rsults tomorrow morning. Cheers...

Edited by ErikaJ, 09 October 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#8 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

I have also noticed that there are greyed recording symbols on the other instances of the same TV show airing at a different time. What does this mean. Only the ones I set to record have the red recording symbol. Is this by design?

#9 Scott D OFFLINE  

Scott D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

The following is based on my experience with the HDHR OTA Tuner:

Based on previous posts on the recording configuration.  1 minute pre and post recording.

4:59 - Chicago Med starts to record (Stream/Channel 1)
5:59 - Chicago Fire Begins to record (Stream/Channel 2)
5:59 - Almost Family begins to record (Stream/Channel 3)
6:01 - Chicago Med stops recording (frees up stream/channel 1)
6:59 - Stumptown begins to record (Hopefully utilizing Stream/Channel 1)
6:59 - SWAT begins to record (Stream/Channel 4)
7:01 - Chicago Fire stops, Almost Family Stops (Streams/Channels 2 & 3 free up)

As you can see, it is possible that 4 streams/channels are being utilized at one time.

I would suggest looking into just how many streams are available through the IP TV source.  We know there are 4 streams from the HDHR, but you have not specified the number from the other source.

Next would be to try recording utilizing the HDHR.  Since you indicated a 4 channel, it should be able to handle the demand.  There may be a delay, but at least you would get the show and not 2 minutes of what is undoubtedly commercials.

Not sure about the greyed out symbol.  I haven't seen that before, but will keep my eyes open.

Edited by Scott D, 09 October 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#10 Scott D OFFLINE  

Scott D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Just did a quick check on a few things.

1.  It appears you can schedule as many recordings as you would like in the guide.  There is no warning that it will exceed the number of tuners/streams available.  I scheduled 7 for 6:00 on my system with only the HDHR 4 tuner.  These were individual shows and not series.

2.  If you cancel an individual show, the indicator (Red Dot) is removed.

3.  If you cancel an individual show within a series that is scheduled to be recorded, the red dot turns to a greyed dot with a ) next to it.  I currently have a show being recorded daily.  I manually remove shows that are currently in my library since the OTA Season/Episode data does not match with the IMDB listing of episodes.  But that's another story.

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:50 AM

I can't really answer about what happened because there is no log between 10-9 12:00 and 01:21. 

The log that starts at 01:21 is a fresh log from restarting the server, so if the server restarted, then that would be why your recording got cut off.

#12 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

Good Day...Well the good news is that the recordings last night went as planned and everything got recorded. The bad news is that I am really out of sort as to why. It could be because I changed the setting to record from a specific channel as opposed to using the "global" setting of "record on all channels". It also could be due to the other change which was I only had a max of 2 TV shows recording simultaneously. Based on what @Scott referenced above that may indeed be the answer. So tonight I will up the "simul" recordings to 3 and keep everything else the same and report back.

I did find that my IPTV provider allows for unlimited streams but only 4 connections or 4 devices as that is what it sez on their site. I don't know what that means because is sounds contradicting. In any event I will error on the light side and go with the number 4 for IPTV. So that gives me a total of 8 streams I can record at the same time. Again if that were true then I should have had no issue 2 nights ago. But too late too tell now as @Luke mentioned above.

So I will test tonight and report back...cheers

#13 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

#14 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

Good Day...

My series recordings for yesterday were set with 1 mic before and 2 mics after, specific channel, new episodes only and anytime airtime.

530pm The Unicorn, CBS Chicago, good recording

530pm Perfect Harmony, NBC Chicago, recorded 8 minutes only so set to record OTA at 830pm

630pm Carols Second Act, good recording

7pm How To Get Away With Murder, ABC Chicago, did not record

7pm Evil, CBS Chicago, recorded 5 minutes only

7pm Mr Inbetween, FX, good recording

830pm Perfect Harmony, OTA, good recording

10pm Law & Order SVU, OTA, good recording

Based on these results iy looks like I can record no more than 1 TV show at the same time via IPTV. Tonight I will adjust recordings to OTA and set 3 for OTA recording and the rest via IPTV. Will report my results tomorrow. That is strange however that I am limited to only 1 simultaneous recording via IPTV given I found that my IPTV provider allowed 4 connections or 4 devices. In any event based on the previous testing a couple of days ago I did find that I could record 2 TV shows via IPTV simultaneously so I imagine my recording strategy will be 2 from IPTV and 3 from OTA going forward after tonights test.

Just and FYI...cheers...

Attached Files

#15 mark-in-dallas OFFLINE  

mark-in-dallas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

You also have to remember there was a massive shake up in the IPTV world last month, and a great possibility that your IPTV provider had to scramble to find new sources.  It's likely that whatever information is shown on their website is not valid at this point.

You might try setting EMBY to record several IPTV shows at the same time that you are not interested in. and see what happens. 

#16 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:19 PM

Did you look at the logs to see what the possible problems are?

Your provider is returning this for some of them:

Http response 403

A 403 status code means forbidden, probably due to reaching a limit. Or maybe you need to disguise Emby Server via the user agent param (but probably not if some are working).

#17 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I will contact the provider and get to the bottom of this. For now I will keep the recording settings for tonight and see what happens. Cheers

#18 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

Good Day...I was recording Hawaii 5-0 via IPTV on CBS Chicago. The show airs 5-6pm. It quit recording at 1735hrs as I was monitoring it on active recordings. I will re-record it at a later time through OTA but thought I would send you the logs in real time. the other recording The Blacklist is also recording from 5-6pm on NBC Chicago and it is still recording. The logs are attached..Cheers

Edit...If iam reading the embyserver.txt file correctly it indicates that the recording "completed" .

2019-10-11 17:35:08.789 Info LiveTV: Recording completed to file C:\Users\Al\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\livetv\recordings\Hawaii Five-0 (2010)\Season 10\Hawaii Five-0 S10E03 E Uhi Ana Ka Wa I Hala I Na Mea I Hala.ts

Then this...2019-10-11 17:35:15.651 Info LiveTV: Recording timer fired for Fresh Off the Boat. This is at about the time it stopped recording. Strange thing though as Fresh Off the Boat was set to record at 2030hrs??? The Fresh Off the Boat at 5pm has agreyed recording symbol.

TIA...Cheers

Edit #2...The Blacklist recorded completely.

Edited by ErikaJ, 11 October 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#19 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:18 PM

And the server log?

#20 ErikaJ OFFLINE  

ErikaJ

Advanced Member

• Members