Emby Folder Display problems

embyuser102019
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

embyuser102019

Dear Emby Team,

I am a premiere users and after an Emby update in February 2019 it seems there are a few issues I am having.

1. "Movies" are being displayed with folders beside them. This is the parent folder containing the movie. Screen shots attached.

2. "TV" programs is displaying as blank. screen shot attached.

3. "Home screen" has stopped displaying "Continue Watching", "Latest media", and "Next Up". Screen Shot attached.

4. "Collections" is showing up as blank also. Screen shot attached.

I would like to know how I can correct each of the issues.

Please advise if you require additional information. Log attached.

Thanks.

post-523137-0-73202800-1570532525_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-15917600-1570532532_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-28444100-1570532537_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-65556500-1570532546_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-15862400-1570532553_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-34295300-1570532559_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-17058400-1570532564_thumb.jpg

Edited by embyuser102019

Hi.   This sounds like the use of an unsupported configuration/file organization or naming scheme.

Exactly how have you setup your libraries and how are your files/folders named and organized?

TV naming

embyuser102019

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I'm following the layout for TV as below.

\TV
\Glee (2009)
\Season 1
  s01e01 episode1.mp4
  s01e02 episode2.mp4

and Movies layout as follows.

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar.mkv

All the TV folders are added from a number of 8 disks each mounted as Movies 1 through to movies 8.

Each Disk has a BluRay folder and DVD folder.

Under each Bluray and DVD folder there is a Movies and TV sub-folder which is the target in Emby. e.g.

Movie paths:

D:\Movies1\BLU RAY\MOVIES\+1 (2013)\+ 1.mp4

D:\Movies1\DVD\MOVIES\2 DAYS IN PARIS\2 DAYS IN PARIS.mkv

TV paths:

D:\Movies1\BLU RAY\TV\Banshee\Season 1\s01e01 Pilot.mkv

D:\Movies1\DVD\TV\10 Things You Didn't Know About\Season 1\s01e01 Tsunamis.mp4

example screen shot attached.

The bold bit is the path added to emby library.

post-523137-0-54307500-1570543041_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-20407800-1570543051_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-88220300-1570544751_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-91034900-1570544757_thumb.jpg

Why are you using Mixed Content?  It looks like you have everything separated by type...

My guess right now is probably that you have pointed your "Movies & TV" library to the same location(s) as your just "TV" library and that is not supported (the same location in multiple libraries).

embyuser102019

Hi,

When i originally installed Media Browser several years ago, Under movies I had MKV, MP4 and DVD (Video_TS) and BluRay (BDMV) folder structure also.

Mixed Content seemed to display the information best.

For TV it has always been TV Shows.

However, I have checked the paths and they seem to be separate locations.

The paths have not been changed since the initial install and I don't believe they are pointing to the same location. If I have understood you correctly.

Thanks.

Why is one of the libraries named "Movies & TV" if it doesn't point to any TV locations?

Most similar situations to yours have come down to shared locations across libraries.  Keep in mind that adding D:\TV and D:\TV\Bluray to two different libraries would be sharing locations (because the second one is a subset of the first)...

embyuser102019

It's was named Movies and TV originally when some scraping would not find certain movies. The scrape worked better under mixed content and some TV movies were coming up as TV shows. That scraping has improved over the years it seems.

I understand the D:\TV and D:\TV\Bluray would be shared location,

However I have;

D:\Movies1\BLU RAY\MOVIES

and

D:\Movies1\BLU RAY\TV

So would that be Ok?

Happy2Play

It's was named Movies and TV originally when some scraping would not find certain movies. The scrape worked better under mixed content and some TV movies were coming up as TV shows. That scraping has improved over the years it seems.

I understand the D:\TV and D:\TV\Bluray would be shared location,

However I have;

and

So would that be Ok?

But that would suggest TV identification then.

All your images show doubled content.  You only show a portion of your folders paths as your movie and tv library shows 32 folders and 16 for TV.  Could you have doubled your library assigned folders?

embyuser102019

Hi Thanks for your response.

Yes i have 32 folder for Movies

D:\Movies1\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies1\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies1\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies2\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies2\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies2\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies2\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies3\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies3\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies3\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies3\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies4\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies4\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies4\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies4\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies5\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies5\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies5\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies5\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies6\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies6\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies6\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies6\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies7\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies7\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies7\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies7\DVD\WATCHED
D:\Movies8\BLU RAY\MOVIES
D:\Movies8\BLU RAY\WATCHED
D:\Movies8\DVD\MOVIES
D:\Movies8\DVD\WATCHED

And for TV
D:\Movies1\DVD\TV
D:\Movies2\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies2\DVD\TV
D:\Movies3\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies3\DVD\TV
D:\Movies4\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies4\DVD\TV
D:\Movies5\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies5\DVD\TV
D:\Movies6\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies6\DVD\TV
D:\Movies7\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies7\DVD\TV
D:\Movies8\BLU RAY\TV
D:\Movies8\DVD\TV

They have not been doubled up. They all contain different files.

The Watched folders contains movie stub files. Movie that have been archived to removable storage.

Is D a mapped network drive?  If so, I strongly suggest UNC paths.

Also, a little bit of organization change would make setting this up in Emby a LOT easier - e.g. move all movies under one parent folder and all TV under another and then you just have one location for each library.

And, in the process, change the content type of your Movies library to just Movies.

Happy2Play

But these are physically doubled.  Are you saying the path for the doubled items are the same?  You see the same in the Metadata Manager.  To me it would appear on locations has metadata and the other does not.  The case in some of the names shows different/unidentified.

post-523137-0-73202800-1570532525.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

embyuser102019

Is D a mapped network drive?  If so, I strongly suggest UNC paths.

Also, a little bit of organization change would make setting this up in Emby a LOT easier - e.g. move all movies under one parent folder and all TV under another and then you just have one location for each library.

And, in the process, change the content type of your Movies library to just Movies.

Hi,

D is a local disk.

Movies1, Movies2, Movies3 .... to Movies8 are 8 separate local Physical disks.

These disks are Mount points onto the root of the D:\ Disk.

So therefore I can't have a single folder for Movies or TV.

So are you suggesting i change the content type for the Movies & TV folder?

But why would this stop working after the last update when nothing changed on this end?

embyuser102019

But these are physically doubled.  Are you saying the path for the doubled items are the same?  You see the same in the Metadata Manager.  To me it would appear on locations has metadata and the other does not.  The case in some of the names shows different/unidentified.

post-523137-0-73202800-1570532525.jpg

Hi thanks for replying,

Yes, I am saying the paths for all the duplicates are the same, there is no doubling of paths.

Nothing was added or changed for the paths for the last many years. This started to happen after the last few emby updates.

In order to better support true folder browsing, some of how we handle mixed content libraries changed in the last major release (4.x).  I'm assuming that's what you are running into and still suspect some sort of overlap somehow.

Have you considered a drive pooling solution?  About $30 could greatly simplify your life in any number of applications...

Happy2Play

Okay can you go over folder structure and content of either of these items.  As you can see on is identified and the other is not.

5d9cc576d204c_2.jpg

embyuser102019

Hi,

Ok so i have removed and Just added

D:\Movies1\BLU RAY\TV &

D:\Movies1\DVD\TV

after library scan they seem to have shown up in the library, but will it lose the watched programmes?

post-523137-0-23362900-1570555701_thumb.jpg

embyuser102019

In order to better support true folder browsing, some of how we handle mixed content libraries changed in the last major release (4.x).  I'm assuming that's what you are running into and still suspect some sort of overlap somehow.

Have you considered a drive pooling solution?  About $30 could greatly simplify your life in any number of applications...

Drive pooling was a consideration, probably upgrade to windows 10 then install storage spaces parity to merge all the disks. But for now probably not an answer for my issue right now.

embyuser102019

Okay can you go over folder structure and content of either of these items.  As you can see on is identified and the other is not.

5d9cc576d204c_2.jpg

So when i click on "2 Days In Paris" with picture  I get screenshot1 and "2 DAYS IN PARIS" I get screenshot2.

post-523137-0-04819200-1570556509_thumb.jpg

post-523137-0-43827500-1570556514_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

So when i click on "2 Days In Paris" with picture  I get screenshot1 and "2 DAYS IN PARIS" I get screenshot2.

None of that make since as it shows three files all with same path and filename, one with no media info.

It is not possible to have "D:\Movies1\DVD\MOVIES\2 DAYS IN PARIS\2 DAYS IN PARIS.mkv" with and without media info in the same location.

So to me you have a database issue or a library issue where folders are duplicated/added more then once.

embyuser102019

None of that make since as it shows three files all with same path and filename, one with no media info.

It is not possible to have "D:\Movies1\DVD\MOVIES\2 DAYS IN PARIS\2 DAYS IN PARIS.mkv" with and without media info in the same location.

So to me you have a database issue or a library issue where folders are duplicated/added more then once.

It must be a database issue because as i said folders were never removed or added again.

So what is there recommendation that is likely to correct this but with the least loss of data for which movies and episodes have been watched?

Happy2Play

It must be a database issue because as i said folders were never removed or added again.

So what is there recommendation that is likely to correct this but with the least loss of data for which movies and episodes have been watched?

Watched statuses are tracked by the items externalid (TMDB, TVDB, IMDB ids).  So they are not affected by items being removed and re-added.  Only items without externalids are affected by move/delete/re-adding actions.

If you removed "\2 DAYS IN PARIS" folder from "D:\Movies1\DVD", and did a library scan, is it completely removed from Emby (UI and Search)?

Edited by Happy2Play

embyuser102019

Watched statuses are tracked by the items externalid (TMDB, TVDB, IMDB ids).  So they are not affected by items being removed and re-added.  Only items without externalids are affected by move/delete/re-adding actions.

If you removed "\2 DAYS IN PARIS" folder from "D:\Movies1\DVD", and did a library scan, is it completely removed from Emby (UI and Search)?

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Where is the setting to allow nfo files to keep track of watched content for each users?

Happy2Play

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Where is the setting to allow nfo files to keep track of watched content for each users?

Emby does not use/read watched status in a nfo file and can only write one users watched status to nfo file.  But it can be found in the NFO Metadata plugin settings screen.

• Like 1