Subtitle issues

kronflux

kronflux

I have my TV shows set up as follows:

Show Name > Season X (Year) > S01E01 - Episode Title.mkv

When Emby automatically downloads subtitles, I often get the wrong episode's subtitles(or sometimes even a different show)

One example after I deleted the SRT files, as well as the subtitles directory in /data then rebooted, is as follows:

M:\Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D\Season 1 (2013)\S01E01 - Pilot.mkv

Gets the correct subtitles

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D\Season 1 (2013)\S01E02 - 0-8-4.mkv

Gets the same subtitles as S01E01

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D\Season 1 (2013)\S01E03 - The Asset.mkv

Gets the correct subtitles

What would be causing this? I've also had instances where some episodes of the TV show Chuck got subtitles for an episode of Arrow.

Is the TV show name as a parent folder not good enough? do I actually have to add the show to each filename? and even if that is the case, why would episode 2 get episode 1's subtitles?

Edited by kronflux

kronflux

Yes, everything but the subtitles are correct.

This is also the case for the other instances where I'm getting completely incorrect show subtitles, though I don't remember which episode it happened with most recently, so I can't really investigate

Edited by kronflux

Have you checked the contents of the subtitle file? Does the text match up with the speech from that episode?

Does the episode have an imdb id or tvdb id in the metadata editor, and if so, is it correct?

kronflux

Yes it does, it has both for the individual episode - both of which are correct.

The show itself also has those, along with themoviedb and zap2it id's which are correct.

Ok, then I wonder if the contents of the subtitles are just incorrect on opensubtitles. Did you try searching on their website?

kronflux

I don't know how emby decides which subtitles to grab, but I opened 3 different English subtitles for the episode in question from opensubtitles, all of which were accurate.

kronflux

The show Elementary does this with various episodes, one I'm watching right now which is the exact same situation as the previous one I mentioned is Season 3 episode 2. But this is only one more of many that do this.

As I said before sometimes it's not even the correct show.

I don't know how emby decides which subtitles to grab, but I opened 3 different English subtitles for the episode in question from opensubtitles, all of which were accurate.

We send a request to open subtitles using the series imdb id, the season number, and the episode number. That's why it's important for those values to be correct in the metadata editor.

Right now we don't know where those subtitles came from, so if you can get the problem to occur again, then please capture the emby server log. thanks.

kronflux

This doesn't seem super useful, but I just deleted the subtitles and rescanned the libraries, and this is the log from it

https://pastebin.com/raw/3PFkaiZZ

Is there maybe a verbose logging mode or something that can be enabled?

Edited by kronflux

@@kronflux,  Luke asked me to jump in on this one and see if I can help diagnose the issue.

I read through the thread and didn't see anything others haven't mentioned unfortunately.

Would it be possible to setup a time that I can work directly with you one on one remoted in via TeamViewer while we chat/talk?

We can then run few checks together and see exactly what is happening to figure out why you are getting the wrong subs.

Carlo

PS send me a PM to setup a time/date you are available.  I should be available tomorrow or anytime during the week.

There are probably a good half dozen things for us to check in settings and different providers as well as the actual setup of the files and episodes.

kronflux

@@cayars I tried sending a PM, but it says you cannot receive PM's currently. Perhaps inbox is full?

regardless - with Luke's confirmation that he did in fact ask you to help

I'd be available pretty much anytime today and tomorrow with at least a couple hours notice.
Whatever works best for you.

I will note that my setup is using Docker via unRaid, though I had similar issues when I was set up on a dedicated hard metal server, it simply didn't bother me enough to report it until lately.
Edited by kronflux