70 replies to this topic

#61 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5697 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 AM

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

It sounds like they don't know what they're doing. It's tantamount to using optical. It may also be just passing the core audio.

That is what I meant the TV must be extracting the bits for Dolby out of the TrueHD and pushing that over ARC. Which would be the same as the 5.1 I already have.

But what I mean as well is that means with RokuTV our profile can include TrueHD as DirectPlay since it can be sent directly and decoded by the RokuTV to get to the 5.1 that is already supported. So it would mean the expense of transcode TrueHD->AC3 isn't dealt with by the Emby server when a RokuTV is in the mix. We just need a reliable way to tell which RokuTV models are surreptitiously supporting TrueHD. At first we just say ALL do and deal with the ones that have silence for TrueHD afterwards and fix it that way. Rather than allow TrueHD support to specific RokuTV. Allow for all and Disallow for certain models.

Edited by speechles, 16 November 2019 - 12:52 PM.

• Doofus likes this

#62 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

That is what I meant the TV must be extracting the bits for Dolby out of the TrueHD and pushing that over ARC. Which would be the same as the 5.1 I already have.

But what I mean as well is that means with RokuTV our profile can include TrueHD as DirectPlay since it can be sent directly and decoded by the RokuTV to get to the 5.1 that is already supported. So it would mean the expense of transcode TrueHD->AC3 isn't dealt with by the Emby server when a RokuTV is in the mix. We just need a reliable way to tell which RokuTV models are surreptitiously supporting TrueHD. At first we just say ALL do and deal with the ones that have silence for TrueHD afterwards and fix it that way. Rather than allow TrueHD support to specific RokuTV. Allow for all and Disallow for certain models.

This too, would work around this present issue.

#63 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:46 AM

Keep trying until it quits (or works).

Well this thing blew up. I tried spamming the correction button. It went away after a couple times. Plain green screen remained.

#64 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47685 posts
  • Local time: 10:15 AM

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

Exactly what happened?  The app crashed?

What, exactly, does "spamming the button" mean?

#65 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5697 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

I think he means he pressed it until the playback correction button was exhausted. It stops showing up on that menu once it gets to the spot where one more error will make it stop. It wants that last error to be a real error so stops presenting the user with the option to use playback correction. At that point it is fully transcoding.

But in this case it doesn't help by transcoding. The video is still green. This means even though it is transcoding the video it is still artifacting/macro blocking. It is disheartening to hear that playback correction isn't resolve it. That means transcoding might be causing it. Remuxing might be. Any use of ffmpeg might be.

It isn't technically macroblocking when it is HEVC.

https://en.wikipedia...oding_tree_unit

It is coding tree unit. Something with the coding tree unit is goofy on the Roku or on ffmpeg.

Edited by speechles, 17 November 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#66 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

I think he means he pressed it until the playback correction button was exhausted. It stops showing up on that menu once it gets to the spot where one more error will make it stop. It wants that last error to be a real error so stops presenting the user with the option to use playback correction. At that point it is fully transcoding.

But in this case it doesn't help by transcoding. The video is still green. This means even though it is transcoding the video it is still artifacting/macro blocking. It is disheartening to hear that playback correction isn't resolve it. That means transcoding might be causing it. Remuxing might be. Any use of ffmpeg might be.

It isn't technically macroblocking when it is HEVC.

https://en.wikipedia...oding_tree_unit

It is coding tree unit. Something with the coding tree unit is goofy on the Roku or on ffmpeg.

Yes that's what happened, tried to correct a few times and then the button went away.

But I am not seeing macroblocking after pushing the correction button. It's an entire green screen. Like you made it in paint with green on the whole thing.

I have three roku tv. 4,5 and 6.

On the 5 after the recent Emby update I experience macroblocking before I try to correct then a green screen.

On the 6 after the recent Emby update I experience a black screen before I try to correct, then a green screen.

#67 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47685 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

I think he means he pressed it until the playback correction button was exhausted. It stops showing up on that menu once it gets to the spot where one more error will make it stop. 

Okay, we need to change that.  Let the item fail if there is no other fallback.

Otherwise the user is left wondering what to do next.

#68 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5697 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

Okay, we need to change that.  Let the item fail if there is no other fallback.

Otherwise the user is left wondering what to do next.

Or do you want to display a dialog onscreen after that:

Playback Correction disabled.

Item is fully transcoding video.

If we let them keep pressing playback correction until it errors out on them, them it isn't a correction IMO.

Can also have dialogs for each button press of playback correction:

Playback Correction enabled.

Item is remuxing video.

Playback Correction enabled.

Item is directstreaming video.

The dialogs aren't really dialogs. They are those "Slide in" messages given with green backgrounds. With the (i) information icon on them.

Edited by speechles, 18 November 2019 - 12:14 PM.

#69 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47685 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

Just don't hide the button.  When playback fails after pressing it the last time, it is obvious the item cannot be played properly.

#70 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5697 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

Just don't hide the button.  When playback fails after pressing it the last time, it is obvious the item cannot be played properly.

What about messages?

After each press of Playback Correction. See my above post I edited. 

If we allow the item to fail when the user presses Playback Correction won't that be worse? They will go WTF just happened??! I gotta restart the video?.. WTF??! Why??!.. Why didn't it just disable the button once Correction wasn't possible. To me "Stopping your video" is not a playback correction option we should give the user. Do you really want the user to be able to stop the video with playback correction? Stop != Correction. Stop == Stop. Should the Playback Correction method change to (Stop Video) for what will happen. Because that is what will happen.. ;)

Edited by speechles, 18 November 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#71 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47685 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:33 PM

This was supposed to be implemented with a dialog in front of it when you press the button.  That dialog was supposed to say:

"Is the current item exhibiting a playback problem like no video or audio?  If so, press the 'Yes' button and we will attempt to correct it."

If that dialog were there, people would better understand the button and not be confused by the behavior.

So, we could also add that dialog but the button shouldn't just disappear.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: In-Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users