Green static with HDR

lightsout

My point remains, that you will not get TrueHD at all.

But, if you are playing to TV speakers (or a soundbar), it really won't matter :).

Guest asrequested

But, if you are playing to TV speakers (or a soundbar), it really won't matter :).

I agree, but you know that many people like/expect to see the audio bitstreaming icon (dts, Dolby etc). The stats will report direct play of TrueHD, but they'll be getting Dolby. And if the companion audio isn't present, they won't get anything. Or will the player be able to tell that it isn't there and request a transcode from the server?

I'm not sure if that companion track is in play here or not.  Roku doesn't officially support TrueHD at all.  We've just discovered that these TVs (with latest firmware) can accept it as an input.  Exactly what it is doing with that input we really don't know at this point.

Guest asrequested

I'm not sure if that companion track is in play here or not. Roku doesn't officially support TrueHD at all. We've just discovered that these TVs (with latest firmware) can accept it as an input. Exactly what it is doing with that input we really don't know at this point.

And that's my point. I believe speechless was saying that downmixing isn't supported, so it would have to be the companion track. So I'm curious what will happen if it isn't present. Although, it does seem be present most of the time. I was trying to analyze some, to determine if it's present or not. No solid confirmation, so far.

Edited by Doofus

Yeah, hard to tell exactly what the TVs are doing but, the important thing is people are getting sound without us needing to remux which then causes the HEVC problem.

What we need is for all Roku TV users to try this and let us know if it DOESN'T work on any of them.

lightsout

Yeah, hard to tell exactly what the TVs are doing but, the important thing is people are getting sound without us needing to remux which then causes the HEVC problem.

What we need is for all Roku TV users to try this and let us know if it DOESN'T work on any of them.

I have a 4,5 and 6 series. I can test all three this weekend.

lightsout

Try playing an HEVC HDR movie with TrueHD audio. What happens on each device?

Works on the 5 and 6. Testing with toy story 3 which has true hd.
  • Like 1

I haven't been following closely, what do you need Roku TV users to test? Playback of TrueHD audio? 

Yes, actually any TrueHD audio track is a good test (doesn't matter what the video is).  Just make sure it produces proper sound (like be sure it isn't just giving the L/R channels - e.g. no voices).

Guest asrequested

Works on the 5 and 6. Testing with toy story 3 which has true hd.

Any way you can determine what the audio is? Whether it's AC3 or TrueHD?

Guest asrequested

Unfortunately, that's not informative, as we know that your TV doesn't have 8 channels. I think that's just what the header is, so it won't report if it's the companion track if it's actually playing the TrueHD audio. Either way, it's a good result for this current HEVC issue. I wonder if the in app log will reveal any more info? 

I wonder if the in app log will reveal any more info? 

No it wouldn't. The information the app has is what the system will accept as an INPUT.  What that system does with that input, we have no way of knowing.

• 2 weeks later...
lightsout

I haven't tested it out myself. I just stopped trying to view this content on the TV's in the house that don't have an external device plugged into them.

• 3 weeks later...
lightsout

Just tested on a TCL 5 series. First try was pixelated, Pushing playback correction once got things working. But it is transcoding at that point so the color is messed up.

4K files with DD5.1 audio work fine. Theo nes above have TrueHD.

frankmb

I tested the latest beta (205) on a new TCL 4 Series 50S423CA. It was able to playback a 4k HEVC movie with TrueHD. On the main released Emby app for Roku, I had the video artfacts or black screen.

Edit: While video plays fine, a huge audio lag ~1 sec is introduced and audio and video are not in sync. This happens with TrueHD only.

Edited by frankmb