Green static with HDR

lightsout

Okay, just wanted to be sure we were progressing to a full transcode.  It appears we are.

Have you tried turning off HW Accel?

lightsout

Okay, just wanted to be sure we were progressing to a full transcode.  It appears we are.

Have you tried turning off HW Accel?

Turning off HW Accel worked after the playback correction was selected, but colors were off because it screwed up HDR. So not really an option.

Guest asrequested

In this case, the issue isn't caused by Roku. So trying to fix it on that level is like using a Hello Kitty bandaid. It won't stop the bleeding, and it will eventually fall off. Softworkz will eventually make the bad thing go away :)

russman547

I am curious if firmware 9.2.x fixes it. I have not bought a new Roku ultra yet to get it. I was hoping to get 9.2 on my other devices first to play with it. Then I would get the new Roku ultra at a better price point on Black Friday... lol. 

This could be solved with firmware 9.2.x since it involves Direct Play and the speed of rendering the bitrate. That green is likely where the birate suddenly spikes very high or the processing required to process the data becomes so high that the Roku cannot keep up. Hopefully they optimize their video player better. I know that is why they decided to drop the older units from getting 9.2 is those older units do not have OpenGL to help speed up the Video Player. They lack animations with full scale and rotation. Those older units also have a constant tendency to crop the Video Player with black bars on the sides and top/bottom rather than scaling to fill like normal players.

I thought green screen is related to HDCP? issues...

I thought green screen is related to HDCP? issues...

That is just a representation of bad/unsupported video content so it can be related to several different issues (bad hardware encoding, unsupported HLS delivery, etc).

russman547

The issue here has nothing to do with the audio.  Changing how it is processed would have no impact.

The playback correction exists exactly for situations like this - where an item doesn't throw an error but it doesn't play back properly either.  This gives the user a way to force that item to try to play another way (progressively) until it will play properly (if possible).  It is very rarely needed but very useful those rare cases.

this is common my roku tv also.. i can only direct play HEVC with Atmos(trueHD) no issues with sound or video  If let emby convert it is always garbled screen or no audio.  the issue is the "atmos true hd" soundtrack    if chose another audio track all is well, wether its transcoded, converted or direct play.  it is audio, my best guess combo of atmos and true hd. I have movie that is HEVC and dolby digital+ with atmos and no issues at all. 

this is common my roku tv also.. i can only direct play HEVC with Atmos(trueHD) no issues with sound or video  If let emby convert it is always garbled screen or no audio.  the issue is the "atmos true hd" soundtrack    if chose another audio track all is well, wether its transcoded, converted or direct play.  it is audio, my best guess combo of atmos and true hd. I have movie that is HEVC and dolby digital+ with atmos and no issues at all. 

Again this is a correlation.  It is the fact that the audio needs to be converted that causes the problem.  It isn't the audio itself.

The problem is the attempt to direct stream the HEVC video without modifications via a protocol that, basically, will require that we modify it.  This is going to have to be addressed on the server side and we are working on it.

russman547

That is just a representation of bad/unsupported video content so it can be related to several different issues (bad hardware encoding, unsupported HLS delivery, etc).

i agree.  when i choose convert only.  the HEVC video will play fine but no sound if i choose different audio track while its playing to like dd5.1 i get audio and video no issues then  can switch back to atmos(truehd) and video and audio will play fine,  i can watch in the stats for nerds that audio stream is changing. so i would think it is confusion on how it is presented to or received by the roku tv

russman547

That would be a bad assumption even if it were possible.  We want to support whatever audio input the device advertises that it supports.

What if that TV is connected to a sound system?  Or, maybe, just that TV has some sort of artificial processing that - if given a 5.1 signal - it can turn into some sort of simulated surround sound.

i can confirm that an if an AVR is connected via HDMI(arc)  my roku tv will always output dd+ 2.0 or 5.1  or DTS 5.1   dependent on source audio.  if source audio is dts X or dts above 5.1 I will get DD+ 5.1.  DD+7.1 will crash the emby app and roku and I will about have to reboot tv after that

Edited by russman547

russman547

Have you tried the latest version of the server and the app? Thanks.

I am using latest server and app, I have thought of a workaround I could use ffmeg to make the DD5.1 as default track and we would get correct audio and video, i only have a small amount of atmostruehd content  maybe I could batch file the command. not for novice though.  or how about a setting to ask to manually chose best stream before playback if audio is the only reason for trans or convert.  

Guest asrequested

I am using latest server and app, I have thought of a workaround I could use ffmeg to make the DD5.1 as default track and we would get correct audio and video, i only have a small amount of atmostruehd content maybe I could batch file the command. not for novice though. or how about a setting to ask to manually chose best stream before playback if audio is the only reason for trans or convert.

It has nothing to do with the audio itself. The problem is that server/ffmpeg is using a container that doesn't support HEVC. The only workaround right now, is to direct play, and avoid the server getting involved.

russman547

ok well Just had a chance to test out the beta version and it plays perfectly tried all of the same media test as before and no Issues... evething did what it was supposed to do, just AWESOME

Sincerly

Russ

lightsout

ok well Just had a chance to test out the beta version and it plays perfectly tried all of the same media test as before and no Issues... evething did what it was supposed to do, just AWESOME

Sincerly

Russ

Sweet! I'll check it out when I get home, thanks EBR!

Guest asrequested

Just remember that it's not TrueHD you'll be listening to. It'll be the AC3 core audio. Allowing you to direct play and not have this problem. A solid workaround, I think.

lightsout

Just remember that it's not TrueHD you'll be listening to. It'll be the AC3 core audio. Allowing you to direct play and not have this problem. A solid workaround, I think.

And if your just watching through the TV it shouldn’t matter anyways.

Guest asrequested

And if your just watching through the TV it shouldn’t matter anyways.

Correct. I just don't want anyone thinking that if they use ARC to a receiver, that they'll get TrueHD. All they'll get is 5.1 Dolby.

Edited by Doofus

Just remember that it's not TrueHD you'll be listening to. It'll be the AC3 core audio.

There is no such thing...  DTS-HD has a "core" but TrueHD is a totally different codec and does not have this same backward-compatible setup.

However, you aren't getting anything like true reproduction of the sound from TV speakers no matter what it is.

Guest asrequested

There is no such thing...  DTS-HD has a "core" but TrueHD is a totally different codec and does not have this same backward-compatible setup.

However, you aren't getting anything like true reproduction of the sound from TV speakers no matter what it is.

OK, if you want to be persnickety. It isn't 'core' audio (I was trying to keep it simple), but there is a 'companion' track, to support older equipment.

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/electronics/dolby-truehd/179

5de0404934721_Dolby.jpg

russman547

No problem there. just wanted best possible hdr picture and best sound possible.. With least amount of server load Best I can do with roku tv with arc going to my AVR so we achevied that.. Great job again.