Green static with HDR

lightsout

If the app always downmixes in this circumstance, then it will always direct play, and completely circumvent the issue. How is that not the best workaround? Instead of mashing a button repeatedly, which apparently doesn't work anyway.

The Roku cannot downmix. It must transcode to achieve that which makes the "always direct play" statement of yours incorrect.

Guest asrequested

The Roku cannot downmix. It must transcode to achieve that which makes the "always direct play" statement of yours incorrect.

Oh, lol...well, my mini rant has no foundation, then. I thought it had similar capabilities to Android. But apparently not. HTPC for the win! :D

Edited by Doofus

If someone is using an in TV app, that should never bitstream audio. It should always downmix. 

That would be a bad assumption even if it were possible.  We want to support whatever audio input the device advertises that it supports.

What if that TV is connected to a sound system?  Or, maybe, just that TV has some sort of artificial processing that - if given a 5.1 signal - it can turn into some sort of simulated surround sound.

Guest asrequested

That would be a bad assumption even if it were possible. We want to support whatever audio input the device advertises that it supports.

What if that TV is connected to a sound system? Or, maybe, just that TV has some sort of artificial processing that - if given a 5.1 signal - it can turn into some sort of simulated surround sound.

I thought about that. In that situation, they can simply enable it to output to the receiver, and pass it through. It's the same options that are already present. You'd just be changing the default. But as Roku doesn't support downmixing (how crap is that), my suggestion is moot. Hopefully, the actual cause of this issue will be rectified soon, then it won't matter. Edited by Doofus

@ The really cool thing about Roku is it will let you set the Audio Capabilties other than Auto in the Roku settings. So you can choose audio that your TV does not support. They encourage you to do this intentionally. The Roku cannot detect some AVR supported audio. So in doing this it can passthrough. I have heard reports as well of TrueHD and even DTS-HD being able to work with a proper AVR when connected to a RokuTV using HDMI-ARC. The RokuTV allows actual bitstreaming it would seem. The same is not true of the RokuSTB. Probably because of the included HDMI-ARC port on the RokuTV gives it this neat ability. I have not tested this on my RokuTV as my AVR supports only 5.1.

Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

@ The really cool thing about Roku is it will let you set the Audio Capabilties other than Auto in the Roku settings. So you can choose audio that your TV does not support. They encourage you to do this intentionally. The Roku cannot detect some AVR supported audio. So in doing this it can passthrough. I have heard reports as well of TrueHD and even DTS-HD being able to work with a proper AVR when connected to a RokuTV using HDMI-ARC. The RokuTV allows actual bitstreaming it would seem. The same is not true of the RokuSTB. Probably because of the included HDMI-ARC port on the RokuTV gives it this neat ability. I have not tested this on my RokuTV as my AVR supports only 5.1.

ARC doesn't support HD audio, it would have to be eARC.

ARC doesn't support HD audio, it would have to be eARC.

But they claim TrueHD gives sound over HDMI-ARC. How on.. planet zeus. Unless the TV might be downmix the audio.

Guest asrequested

But they claim TrueHD gives sound over HDMI-ARC. How on.. planet zeus. Unless the TV might be downmix the audio.

It sounds like they don't know what they're doing. It's tantamount to using optical. It may also be just passing the core audio.

Jdiesel

Roku devices have better playback capabilities then many make them out to have and support the majority of content out there. The only files I have ever had issues with are old xvids or improperly encoded files from unreliable sources. When that does happen the playback correction option can usually sort things out.

The Roku really is a set it and forgot device and that is why the target audience likes them. People who use Roku's just expect things to work and there is nothing wrong with that. I personally built a nice beefy server to handle anything so I don't get too twisted when a Roku request an audio remux or even a full transcode, it just reinforces that I didn't waste a bunch of money on server upgrades.

When you play the role of server admin and tech support for family members who are tech illiterate Roku's are a blessing.

Guest asrequested

In this case, the issue isn't caused by Roku. So trying to fix it on that level is like using a Hello Kitty bandaid. It won't stop the bleeding, and it will eventually fall off. Softworkz will eventually make the bad thing go away :)

It sounds like they don't know what they're doing. It's tantamount to using optical. It may also be just passing the core audio.

That is what I meant the TV must be extracting the bits for Dolby out of the TrueHD and pushing that over ARC. Which would be the same as the 5.1 I already have.

But what I mean as well is that means with RokuTV our profile can include TrueHD as DirectPlay since it can be sent directly and decoded by the RokuTV to get to the 5.1 that is already supported. So it would mean the expense of transcode TrueHD->AC3 isn't dealt with by the Emby server when a RokuTV is in the mix. We just need a reliable way to tell which RokuTV models are surreptitiously supporting TrueHD. At first we just say ALL do and deal with the ones that have silence for TrueHD afterwards and fix it that way. Rather than allow TrueHD support to specific RokuTV. Allow for all and Disallow for certain models.

Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

That is what I meant the TV must be extracting the bits for Dolby out of the TrueHD and pushing that over ARC. Which would be the same as the 5.1 I already have.

But what I mean as well is that means with RokuTV our profile can include TrueHD as DirectPlay since it can be sent directly and decoded by the RokuTV to get to the 5.1 that is already supported. So it would mean the expense of transcode TrueHD->AC3 isn't dealt with by the Emby server when a RokuTV is in the mix. We just need a reliable way to tell which RokuTV models are surreptitiously supporting TrueHD. At first we just say ALL do and deal with the ones that have silence for TrueHD afterwards and fix it that way. Rather than allow TrueHD support to specific RokuTV. Allow for all and Disallow for certain models.

This too, would work around this present issue.

lightsout

Keep trying until it quits (or works).

Well this thing blew up. I tried spamming the correction button. It went away after a couple times. Plain green screen remained.

I think he means he pressed it until the playback correction button was exhausted. It stops showing up on that menu once it gets to the spot where one more error will make it stop. It wants that last error to be a real error so stops presenting the user with the option to use playback correction. At that point it is fully transcoding.

But in this case it doesn't help by transcoding. The video is still green. This means even though it is transcoding the video it is still artifacting/macro blocking. It is disheartening to hear that playback correction isn't resolve it. That means transcoding might be causing it. Remuxing might be. Any use of ffmpeg might be.

It isn't technically macroblocking when it is HEVC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coding_tree_unit

It is coding tree unit. Something with the coding tree unit is goofy on the Roku or on ffmpeg.

Edited by speechles

lightsout

I think he means he pressed it until the playback correction button was exhausted. It stops showing up on that menu once it gets to the spot where one more error will make it stop. It wants that last error to be a real error so stops presenting the user with the option to use playback correction. At that point it is fully transcoding.

But in this case it doesn't help by transcoding. The video is still green. This means even though it is transcoding the video it is still artifacting/macro blocking. It is disheartening to hear that playback correction isn't resolve it. That means transcoding might be causing it. Remuxing might be. Any use of ffmpeg might be.

It isn't technically macroblocking when it is HEVC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coding_tree_unit

It is coding tree unit. Something with the coding tree unit is goofy on the Roku or on ffmpeg.

Yes that's what happened, tried to correct a few times and then the button went away.

But I am not seeing macroblocking after pushing the correction button. It's an entire green screen. Like you made it in paint with green on the whole thing.

I have three roku tv. 4,5 and 6.

On the 5 after the recent Emby update I experience macroblocking before I try to correct then a green screen.

On the 6 after the recent Emby update I experience a black screen before I try to correct, then a green screen.

I think he means he pressed it until the playback correction button was exhausted. It stops showing up on that menu once it gets to the spot where one more error will make it stop. 

Okay, we need to change that.  Let the item fail if there is no other fallback.

Otherwise the user is left wondering what to do next.

Okay, we need to change that.  Let the item fail if there is no other fallback.

Otherwise the user is left wondering what to do next.

Or do you want to display a dialog onscreen after that:

Playback Correction disabled.

Item is fully transcoding video.

If we let them keep pressing playback correction until it errors out on them, them it isn't a correction IMO.

Can also have dialogs for each button press of playback correction:

Playback Correction enabled.

Item is remuxing video.

Playback Correction enabled.

Item is directstreaming video.

The dialogs aren't really dialogs. They are those "Slide in" messages given with green backgrounds. With the (i) information icon on them.

Edited by speechles

Just don't hide the button.  When playback fails after pressing it the last time, it is obvious the item cannot be played properly.

Just don't hide the button.  When playback fails after pressing it the last time, it is obvious the item cannot be played properly.

What about messages?

After each press of Playback Correction. See my above post I edited. 

If we allow the item to fail when the user presses Playback Correction won't that be worse? They will go WTF just happened??! I gotta restart the video?.. WTF??! Why??!.. Why didn't it just disable the button once Correction wasn't possible. To me "Stopping your video" is not a playback correction option we should give the user. Do you really want the user to be able to stop the video with playback correction? Stop != Correction. Stop == Stop. Should the Playback Correction method change to (Stop Video) for what will happen. Because that is what will happen.. ;)

Edited by speechles

This was supposed to be implemented with a dialog in front of it when you press the button.  That dialog was supposed to say:

"Is the current item exhibiting a playback problem like no video or audio?  If so, press the 'Yes' button and we will attempt to correct it."

If that dialog were there, people would better understand the button and not be confused by the behavior.

So, we could also add that dialog but the button shouldn't just disappear.

lightsout

Have you tried the latest version of the server and the app? Thanks.

If you are referring to me, I just did that, app was up to date and updated the server. Basically same results. Playback started out with green blocky image, tried playback correction and didn't help, did playback correction until the option was no longer there. Including a picture of what playback correction resulted in. I was observing the server dashboard and even when it tried to transcode to h264 it didn't work.

I will say that selecting the dolby 5.1 track results in proper playback.

post-4065-0-53603500-1574793124_thumb.jpg

If you are referring to me, I just did that, app was up to date and updated the server. Basically same results. Playback started out with green blocky image, tried playback correction and didn't help, did playback correction until the option was no longer there. Including a picture of what playback correction resulted in. I was observing the server dashboard and even when it tried to transcode to h264 it didn't work.

I will say that selecting the dolby 5.1 track results in proper playback.

There should have been two or three ffmpeg logs produced during that session.  Can you post those?

Thanks.