Green static with HDR

lightsout

lightsout

The easiest way around it is to pick an audio track the device supports. Then it will direct play.

Oh really? Thanks for the tip. 

lightsout

The platform is irrelevant. This will happen in every app when the server does this.

Yes I have seen it with Android TV as well with an Odroid N2.

• 2 weeks later...
lightsout

Just fired up a movie that have me troubles. With Dolby 5.1 selected it worked. With the lossless audio track selected I got a black screen. I'll try to get logs when I can.

With the lossless audio track selected I got a black screen.

What happens if you use the Playback Correction option at that point?

You mean change the bitrate?

No.  During playback, go to the "cog" button and click it and then select "Playback Correction".

lightsout

No. During playback, go to the "cog" button and click it and then select "Playback Correction".

Weird I've never paid attention to that. It gave me a solid green screen. Not pixelated or anything just like a green slide. With audio on in the background.

lightsout

Okay, now, try it one more time with the solid green screen...

So I had to try a different Roku tv. Daughter is now using the other.

Anyways this time initially it has the green blocking instead of all black. Correction brings up the green screen. Correction again same green screen. Tried it a few times.

Eventually, the Playback Correction option should just quit playback with an error message.  Did you get it to do that?

lightsout

Eventually, the Playback Correction option should just quit playback with an error message.  Did you get it to do that?

No I think I tried it 3 times and it remained green.

Guest asrequested

Oh please tell me the playback correction button is only for testing. Because that sounds terrible. There is no way I would entertain doing this. Why not just have a quick option to downmix to stereo? Or if the device detects it's connected to stereo device, have it default to downmix?

Oh please tell me the playback correction button is only for testing. Because that sounds terrible. There is no way I would entertain doing this. Why not just have a quick option to downmix to stereo? Or if the device detects it's connected to stereo device, have it default to downmix?

The issue here has nothing to do with the audio.  Changing how it is processed would have no impact.

The playback correction exists exactly for situations like this - where an item doesn't throw an error but it doesn't play back properly either.  This gives the user a way to force that item to try to play another way (progressively) until it will play properly (if possible).  It is very rarely needed but very useful those rare cases.

Yikes! That's a hard no, never gonna use it, from me. So happy I don't rely on those apps.

You are such a wet blanket... lol. Embrace some things just because how on Earth else do you do this with a remote? Peck and hunt through the settings back and forth as you change media? It has to be easy/simple on Roku. The easiest way to accomplish this is let the user be the barometer of their media. The Roku isn't perfect. It will attempt to play back some things it should FAIL on. The video stream usually performs poorly.

This is why honestly the playback correction is the fastest, sanest alternative to fixing it. The alternative would require chasing settings to flop things left/right on all those doohickies and whatchamacallits. Instead of overwhelm users with settings that require maintenance to them (constant watering) so much you are never sure if you have the settings set the best way they can be. That is overwhelming.

Instead, there are a few settings you pretty much set once and forget. They aren't meant to be flip/flopped like a light switch. You aren't required to really go back there. That is why quality/bitrate changes are on the same menu as playback correction. Because that is literally the easiest way for people to get to with a remote control.

@@ebr the playback correction will not eventually fail or error out. Eventually the playback correction button will disappear as an option on the playback menu when you have exhausted it. Once it reaches that point one more real errror will cause it to fail. That is the last straw effort.

Edited by speechles

Lets entertain those questions...

1. "Why not just have a quick option to downmix to stereo?"

2. "Or if the device detects it's connected to stereo device, have it default to downmix?"

#1 The Roku matches audio capability by the HDMI handshake via HDCP. This 9.9x out of 10 will always be able to copy just fine. Very very rarely is the audio downsample unless of bitrate concerns. If the sink device used on the Roku supports only stereo the app detects this via HDCP. We do not allow the user to set options outside of the Roku settings themselves because this may break HDCP. Especially with 4K media. You usually want the audio on that untouched as much as possible to avoid constrain any manipulation of the video stream available. The only time the Roku doesn't copy audio is when the device doesn't support the codec, an error/playback correction happens, or the bitrate imposes it.

#2 it does do this. Indeed. It is fully compliant with everything Roku supports and then some. You literally just press PLAY on Roku after adjust those few settings. It is not supposed to be complicated. Rarely do users even care if media is transcoding. Just that it plays uniterrupted and doesn't fail them. You need stability and you need ease of use. The Roku has both of those going for it.

Guest asrequested

If someone is using an in TV app, that should never bitstream audio. It should always downmix. There is absolutely no reason to do anything else. If someone is connecting a device directly to a TV with no receiver, there is still absolutely no reason to bitstream audio. And in this specific issue, the problem caused by the server remuxing the file becayof unsupported audio. If the app always downmixes in this circumstance, then it will always direct play, and completely circumvent the issue. How is that not the best workaround? Instead of mashing a button repeatedly, which apparently doesn't work anyway.