Green static with HDR

lightsout

lightsout

I have a 4 series TCL TV. Sometimes when I play an HDR movie the screen goes all green and blocky. Sometimes skipping forward will fix it. Was happening last night watching a remux of Toy Story 4. Is this a know thing? I've had Emby do this on a small Android box as well.

lightsout

Yes I believe it is (the video) because when it works HDR is displayed correctly, if it was transcoding the color would off correct? I know the audio is being transcoded because its just playing over the tv speakers.

EDIT## Actually here you go, tried it to another TCL Roku TV, this time 5 series, same problem, heres some screens.

post-4065-0-90148700-1570489343_thumb.png

post-4065-0-30661800-1570489348_thumb.png

post-4065-0-34146100-1570489359_thumb.jpg

Edited by lightsout

I wonder how this would compare if you forced it to direct play via user transcoding permissions. You might not get audio, but it would be a good comparison in terms of video.

lightsout

I wonder how this would compare if you forced it to direct play via user transcoding permissions. You might not get audio, but it would be a good comparison in terms of video.

Hmmm, so that made it work. The stats for nerds shows that it is direct playing even with the True HD audio. Maybe the TV is handling the core audio within the True HD. 

I don't know but now what? If I leave that on then nothing will ever transcode and I use emby remotely often. Wonder why it is transcoding when it doesn't need to?

lightsout

It does need to transcode. This was just a test.

But if it needs to transcode why does it work when you force direct play?

There is no "core" in TrueHD.

My guess is it is falling back to a different audio track but would need to see logs to be sure.  Is no ffmpeg log created on the server?

lightsout

There is no "core" in TrueHD.

My guess is it is falling back to a different audio track but would need to see logs to be sure.  Is no ffmpeg log created on the server?

No theres not one there.

Is this a new TV?

Maybe they've enabled TrueHD support (although, obviously, it is being converted down by the TV).  None of my tests with TrueHD have worked on a Premiere+ so the app is ignoring it right now.

lightsout

Is this a new TV?

Maybe they've enabled TrueHD support (although, obviously, it is being converted down by the TV).  None of my tests with TrueHD have worked on a Premiere+ so the app is ignoring it right now.

This is an ond tv, tried with a TCL 4 series and 5 series. The 5 series played a file with DTS-MA as well. Are you sure there is no core in TrueHD, I always thought both lossless forms of DTS and Dolby had the core in them. But the specs of the TV don't even say it supports DTS so idk. 

Heres a screen of the 4 series playing the file.

post-4065-0-35935100-1570560308_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lightsout

Is this really not a thing for anyone else? I am seeing it on a 4, 5 and 6 series Roku TV.

The same file plays fine through emby on the Shield and emby for kodi on coreelec. 

The app is currently not allowing the pass thru of TrueHD but we can change that and see if others have problems.

However, that is just bypassing whatever the issue is when this item is being remuxed.

lightsout

The app is currently not allowing the pass thru of TrueHD but we can change that and see if others have problems.

However, that is just bypassing whatever the issue is when this item is being remuxed.

I yesterday turned off audio and video transcoding, and just allow container conversion without re-encode (not sure exactly what it’s called) and still got the green static.

Not sure how to fix this but Emby for me is not usable on my Roku TVs. At least not for 4K content.

Yeah, I believe the problem is in the stream copying of the video stream.  If you bump down the bitrate to force an actual video transcode does it play properly?

lightsout

Yeah, I believe the problem is in the stream copying of the video stream.  If you bump down the bitrate to force an actual video transcode does it play properly?

I can test that later, its weird because the issue is intermittent, sometimes it happens right away, sometimes not, and sometimes skipping around fixes it, but not always.

But if I force it to transcode the video will be SDR and that will kind of blow the whole purpose here of watching 4k/HDR video. 

But if I force it to transcode the video will be SDR and that will kind of blow the whole purpose here of watching 4k/HDR video. 

Just want to test the hypothesis.

Your seemingly unpredictable experience actually bolsters the hypothesis as well because it probably has to do with delivering an unpredictable (because we are passing it through, not creating it) stream via HLS.

lightsout

Just want to test the hypothesis.

Your seemingly unpredictable experience actually bolsters the hypothesis as well because it probably has to do with delivering an unpredictable (because we are passing it through, not creating it) stream via HLS.

Ok, is this a known issue with Roku or just me?

Ok, is this a known issue with Roku or just me?

We haven't nailed anything down at this point.  Just trying to test some things.

I am curious if firmware 9.2.x fixes it. I have not bought a new Roku ultra yet to get it. I was hoping to get 9.2 on my other devices first to play with it. Then I would get the new Roku ultra at a better price point on Black Friday... lol. 

This could be solved with firmware 9.2.x since it involves Direct Play and the speed of rendering the bitrate. That green is likely where the birate suddenly spikes very high or the processing required to process the data becomes so high that the Roku cannot keep up. Hopefully they optimize their video player better. I know that is why they decided to drop the older units from getting 9.2 is those older units do not have OpenGL to help speed up the Video Player. They lack animations with full scale and rotation. Those older units also have a constant tendency to crop the Video Player with black bars on the sides and top/bottom rather than scaling to fill like normal players.

Edited by speechles

lightsout

I am curious if firmware 9.2.x fixes it. I have not bought a new Roku ultra yet to get it. I was hoping to get 9.2 on my other devices first to play with it. Then I would get the new Roku ultra at a better price point on Black Friday... lol. 

This could be solved with firmware 9.2.x since it involves Direct Play and the speed of rendering the bitrate. That green is likely where the birate suddenly spikes very high or the processing required to process the data becomes so high that the Roku cannot keep up. Hopefully they optimize their video player better. I know that is why they decided to drop the older units from getting 9.2 is those older units do not have OpenGL to help speed up the Video Player. They lack animations with full scale and rotation. Those older units also have a constant tendency to crop the Video Player with black bars on the sides and top/bottom rather than scaling to fill like normal players.

Interesting, hard to know exactly what hardware is included in a TV, this is a new model but not sure the full capabilities. 

I am not going to spend to much time on it, new Shield will be here next week and it will get the bulk of duties. But would like things to just work in the bedroom setups.