Recordings are often a combination of interlaced and progressive

spacecowboy2050

spacecowboy2050

Loving Emby at the moment and the community is really helping out.  wonder if anyone can solve this issue I've got which links in with another post that I posted on the Fire TV forum.

Emby records as TS files and when analysing these with TSDoctor, there are some recordings that switch between progressive and interlaced frequently throughout the file.  My Samsung TV with the emby app plays these perfectly but when I use any other box they struggle to play them.

It seems that any encode / transcode / remux seems to want to decide whether it's progressive or interlaced and sticks to that throughout meaning that many parts don't display as they should.  I've tested this with a couple of programs such as VideoRedo and if I extract and remux as mp4 a part that I know it constantly interlaced, I end up with a usable mp4 file.  When it changes though, I have no luck.

The only succesful method I have used on these is to use Handbrake to double the framerate and deinterlace fully.  This is time consuming though as my PC will take about 1 hour for a 30 minute file.

I assume that the internal convert feature of Emby has the same issue as I don't have a smooth playback when Emby converts to MKV.

I am not tearing my hair out as most of the time I use my Samsung TV to play these files without issue, it's just when I want to use a different TV with Fire TV or Android box that I have an issue as TS in unsupported and needs to trandcode or encode.

What channel/tuner source do you have that is actually switching its broadcast signal like that?

It might actually be normal for that to happen.

https://www.100fps.com/video_resolution_vs_fluidity.htm

I have similar issues with my pq when watching cable

I wonder how old that posting is...

Still, I guess this is still going on and that would mean the best approach would be to not try and de-interlace and just let the display handle it.

jachin99

Yea, I think it takes a really long time for any cable pq upgrades to reach consumers. I was reading about this the other day because I was curious about when Cox might roll out hdr or 4k. I guess the tv stations have to switch over first bit it looked like some of the cable companies are ready for it. Direct TV and such offer 4k but I think it's all on demand content.

spacecowboy2050

I wonder how old that posting is...

Still, I guess this is still going on and that would mean the best approach would be to not try and de-interlace and just let the display handle it.

Yes as I said, apps DIRECTLY on the TV, whether that be Plex or Emby seem to cope well, it when you add a box/firestick etc into the equation or any kind of transcoding - then the problems seem to occur.

seems to want to decide whether it's progressive or interlaced and sticks to that throughout meaning that many parts don't display as they should.

Yes this is true, we only deinterlace when transcoding if ffprobe reported to us that the file is interlaced.