Playlist Unavailable from Network Drive

Dublus

Using either latest release or latest beta.

Not sure when it started but, similar to when Emby guide data option disappeared from the drop down menu, when selecting the path to a m3u playlist the network drives are not shown as they had shown before. For example, I have network drives defined as drives F, G, and E but none of them are present in the drop down.

There is one quirk about these network drives which I must include. They are actually Google Drives defined as local network drives by Raidrive. This has always worked in the past though.

Tried to work around it by creating a symlink pointing to the local drive but that also fails.

Hi, windows will disconnect mapped drives when they idle, so this is probably what happened.

Hi, windows will disconnect mapped drives when they idle, so this is probably what happened.

Hmm... this doesn't explain why it worked for so long without any problem.

It only started when I updated to the latest release.

I can have an explorer window open looking at the m3u I want to map to (so I know the drive isn't disconnected) but it doesn't show up in the drop down.

In fact, it is a misnomer for me to call these drives "mapped" because they aren't.

Edited by Dublus

Hmm... this doesn't explain why it worked for so long without any problem.

Actually it could explain it. You may have just never encountered it before. Try entering the path manually into the box and see if you can add it that way.

Yeah, tried that right away and just get the popup saying the file isn't there or whatever it says.

This really is a new thing. I've been mappng and unmapping different m3u's on Google Drives (available via RaiDrive) for quite a while now.

Had to just copy the playlists to the local drive to get the channels to work again.

I would have just reverted back to the latest release that showed both the Emby guide data option and the RaiDrive mapped Google Drives but your iptv handling is so revolutionary I don't want to miss out on anything else you might come up with.

I truly am amazed at how well you have managed to get iptv working in general and more specifically recording. Don't know how you do it but I'm grateful !

Yeah, tried that right away and just get the popup saying the file isn't there or whatever it says.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. This would suggest that Emby Server is being denied access to the drive.

No, I did experiments that would rule out any sort of permission or denial of access.

On a different server I could go back and forth between versions and turn the problem off and on.

Same thing for the Emby guide data problem but I see you've addressed that one.

It's more related to the drive not being immediately available since there is a bit of latency when using a Google drive that's mapped locally via RaiDrive. For example if I map a Google drive folder for some library content and tell Emby to delete something in it Emby immediately pops up saying it's taking longer than usual but after a second or two the popup disappears and the delete has been successful

Even still, I would expect that is still the problem. If you can attach the emby server log I can confirm that. Thanks.

I had looked in the log already and there isn't any sort of failure message.

Which makes sense since I don't think it's actually 'failing' in the true sense.

It moves on so quickly it doesn't even know there are any other drives/folders that it should be listing.

If you really want the log I can attach it when I get home from work.

Or, if you are curious to see exactly what it does you can define a Google drive using Raidrive (raidrive.com - it's free) and see for yourself.

No errors, the drive just simply doesn't appear in the drop down.

Keep in mind, I could make the problem appear and disappear depending on the version of Emby Server I was using.
Unfortunately I was doing that on my cousin's machine and wiped it then installed the latest version so I don't know exactly which versions those were, just that the newest ones (beta and release) don't work like an 'older' one did.

Either way, I worked around the problem and the servers are happy.

Hi,  yes, please attach the emby server log from when you attempted to setup the library. thanks.

So I restarted Emby server,  once it came back up I saved the server log and began to add a new TV Source by clicking the "+", choosing the m3u option and clicking the magnifying glass. Then seeing that, as before, I'm not given the option of clicking any of the Google drive letters because they aren't there, I again saved the server log.

Looking through the first log I don't see any mention of discovering or failing to discover drives.

Looking through the second log it's identical to the first since I didn't effectively do anything except click some things without completing the TV Source add.

Was going to play with it some more but ran out of time and never uploaded the log while I had the chance at home.

At what point does Emby Server attempt to discover the available drives? Is it the moment the magnifying glass is clicked?

At what point does Emby Server attempt to discover the available drives? Is it the moment the magnifying glass is clicked?

There isn't any such thing on the part of Emby Server. We are using a windows api to get the list of available drives. As I mentioned earlier, windows will disconnect mapped drives when they idle. I think what's happening is the API we're using does not include the mapped drive at all when this happens, so as far as Emby is concerned, it doesn't even exist.

These articles might help you prevent that from happening:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/297684/mapped-drive-connection-to-network-share-may-be-lost

These drives are not "lost" in any way. I can browse them at will at any time.

Have you changed the nature of the Windows api call lately? (or maybe windows changed the api in some way?)

Investigating further, I installed NetDrive and while the drive letter still does not appear in the dropdown I can type the path and playlist file in explicitly and Emby Server will accept/save it.

Reverting back to RaiDrive, Emby Server still fails to show the drive in the dropdown or accept it if typed explicitly.

What I'm missing is the ability to revert Emby Server to a previous version to complete the test (since previously i could turn the issue on and off depending on what version I was using on my cousin's machine). I looked around a bit and couldn't see where to find those. Is there a way to do that?

These drives are not "lost" in any way. I can browse them at will at any time.

That's just the title of the article, but my guidance remains the same - windows will disconnect mapped drives when they idle.

Thanks for the reply but that article is not for Windows 10 and only applies to network shares.

I'm getting the feeling I'm becoming a bother so I'll quit since I've managed to work around the issue. I had thought someone else might have this same problem in the future.

However, if you would like to tell me how to revert to an older version of Emby Server I could put the possibility of release version dependence to the test.

This is not a traditional network drive and there is no traditional underlying path to which it is mapped.

I understand and apologize for the direction from which your answers have been coming.

I completely misnamed my original question which took us down the "network drive" path.

I called it a network drive because that's how windows recognizes/categorizes it.

It's actually a Google drive that shows up as a network (or local depending on which software is used) drive via software such as RaiDrive, NetDrive or others.

The basic facts are this:

1. Up until a week or two ago I could point Emby server to a Google drive (created via RaiDrive) holding an m3u to create a TV source or to add to or create a library of content.

2. Now I can't. The drive letter no longer appears in the drop down.

3. Reverting back to a previous version I could restore that ability.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure. It was on my cousin's system. I only know it was a version no more than a few weeks old at the time.

In any event, I wiped my system and rebuilt it with latest beta and there is no problem with seeing Google drives now. No idea what was wrong but it's back like it was now.