Login without password prompt?

simonmason

simonmason

When I access through my Apple TV it shows me a list of icons for each of the users on my Emby server.  I then select the user and it prompts for the password.  I deliberately sent the password to blank as no one in my family wants to be typing in passwords every time.  Yet I have to cursor over to the enter key to accept the blank password each time.  

Is there any option to bypass the password screen when using Emby or click save password to avoid this each time I go in?  Thanks.

Senna

Is there any option to bypass the password screen when using Emby or click save password to avoid this each time I go in?  Thanks.

What is your Emby Server version ?

Users without a password shouldn't be asked by the Emby Apple TV app to input a password, so try this below:

• Manage that user at Emby server
  • give it a password
  • save user
  • remove password from that user
  • save user
Edited by Senna

If you allow any external access to your server, it is much safer to provide passwords and then use the feature to not require them on the local network.

Senna

If you allow any external access to your server, it is much safer to provide passwords and then use the feature to not require them on the local network.

He should already know that:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72671-hi-there-is-a-problem-adding-a-new-user/page-3&do=findComment&comment=762898

So what is causing his setup to request entering a user password in the Emby Apple TV app, while that user hasn't a password ?

But indeed, having non hidden users with remote access with no password, is not advisable.

simonmason

I am not seeing any of the options for local lan?  I am running 4.2.1.0.  I am also not seeing any options for PIN?

post-481675-0-63005800-1570400992_thumb.png

Edited by simonmason

simonmason

I am talking about this screen.  Is this not the place to be administering users?  I am now rather confused.

post-481675-0-84772800-1570447574_thumb.png

simonmason

I have Emby installed on a dedicated Windows 10 PC running in my home theater rack.

I administer Emby by going through the web interface and logging into my account (the administrator) or by right clicking on the emby icon on the host PC - and selecting the configuration option - which appears to do the same thing.

I am running the latest version according to the configuration screen.

Is there somewhere else I should be administering this?

simonmason

Crap, I just realized that I attached the wrong image earlier in this chain.  No wonder I confused the heck out of everyone.  Sorry about that.  This is what I see:

post-481675-0-65367900-1570461769_thumb.png

There is nothing about local network access settings.

In order for you to see those options, your user needs to have a password.  We need to figure out why the app is prompting you but, again, I urge you to set passwords there unless your server is completely inaccessible from the internet.

@@Senna or @@corey can you reproduce this in the beta app?

simonmason

To confirm - if I add passwords for these users then local network access will show up and I can disable password prompt when on the local lan?

Also, I asked this in another thread about remote users - whether they need an Emby connect ID, etc.  The comment was made that work was being done to streamline this process.  Any update on that?  Thanks. 

To confirm - if I add passwords for these users then local network access will show up and I can disable password prompt when on the local lan?

Yes.

Also, I asked this in another thread about remote users - whether they need an Emby connect ID, etc.  The comment was made that work was being done to streamline this process.  Any update on that?  Thanks. 

We are working on simplifying the process.  However, that does not have much bearing on your question there as a Connect ID is not required regardless.  You can always just give them your server address/domain name instead.

Senna

I am running the latest version according to the configuration screen.

That tells us nothing, so what is the version number ?

I have some local only (with no remote access), not hidden users with no password, on stable and beta Emby server and they never trigger a password prompt in the stable and beta Emby Apple TV app.

Senna

@@ebr &@Luke

These Wiki pages are confusing and outdated for novice users regarding Emby User management.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Passwords

Nothing is explained for novice users about users with local access only or users with local AND remote access, and all the password options for those.

And more is missing there, what is currently available in stable release regarding User management. For the experienced user no problem, but for the novice user it is apparently.

simonmason

I am going to try adding a password and then setting the local network options.  That seems to be perhaps the issue.

@@ebr &@Luke

These Wiki pages are confusing and outdated for novice users regarding Emby User management.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Passwords

Nothing is explained for novice users about users with local access only or users with local AND remote access, and all the password options for those.

And more is missing there, what is currently available in stable release regarding User management. For the experienced user no problem, but for the novice user it is apparently.

Yes @@cayars will be updating them. Thanks for the feedback.

corey

In order for you to see those options, your user needs to have a password.  We need to figure out why the app is prompting you but, again, I urge you to set passwords there unless your server is completely inaccessible from the internet.

@@ebr --

In the beta:

• If it's a public user without a password you will not be prompted for a password because we explicitly check if they have a password
  • If it's not a public user and you enter the user name manually we immediately prompt for a password because we don't know if the user exists so we assume they have a password.