EmbyCon - first tries, first questions

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hey

I'm just trying out EmbyCon as an alternative to E4K on poor performance devices. I'm having some questions and problems, hopefully @@TeamB or anyone else can help me out.

1. Which is the correct/up to date version? In the kodi.emby.media repo there is EmbyCon v1.9.4. In official Kodi repo there's v1.9.32. Now I'm unsure which one is the current one? I think the one from the emby repo is the one to go (v1.9.4), but Kodi thinks the 1.9.32 is newer and wants to update to it.

2. Login/logout behavior: Is it expected behavior that Emby Dashboard shows "user successfully authenticated" on each Kodi start? Why does the addon re-authenticate each time? When I quit Kodi, I don't see the "user was disconnected" message in dashboard. The devices stays at the "active devices" tab permanently. So it feels like something goes wrong here. (Note: Persist user details and Allow fast user switching password saving is enabled both)

3. Unable to fetch big libraries: Maybe this is already fixed, because I can't reproduce it at the moment. I tried out EmbyCon a couple of weeks ago and was not able to access my main/biggest movie library. I always got a connection timed out messages. Have you done some fixes about it recently @@TeamB or is it accidentally working now?

4. Localize: Are you on Transifex or something like that so I can help localize the settings?

Best regards

TeamB

1.the official version is the one in the official Kodi repo

2.emby server does not know the client has shutdown, if you have use remote control enabled in advanced settings it should show the client being removed as soon as the client is shutdown

3.no idea, would need a log from failed attempt

4.no, the current Lang files are checked in and can be updated by a pull request

• Like 1

horstepipe

2.emby server does not know the client has shutdown, if you have use remote control enabled in advanced settings it should show the client being removed as soon as the client is shutdown

So you handle the login/logout somehow different than Emby for Kodi?

When I start Kodi with Emby for Kodi, Emby activity log shows

user is online

When I start Kodi with EmbyCon, Emby activity log shows

user has authenticated

Just wondering why embycon needs to authenticate on each start and emby for kodi does not.

TeamB

It is because of the access token that the Emby server uses to authenticate requests.

A client authenticates using the username and password and the server returns an access token that is then used in requests.

This access token can also be stored and used in later requests.

If the client stores the access token in some sort of persistent storage mechanism then it can use the access token next session without having to re-authenticate the user.

If the access token is not stored in persistent storage then the client will need to re authenticate each session.

E4K and EmbyCon use different approaches for this.

EmbyCon does not store the access token between client sessions and re authenticates each time a user starts Kodi or a user is changed with fast user switching.

horstepipe

It is because of the access token that the Emby server uses to authenticate requests.

A client authenticates using the username and password and the server returns an access token that is then used in requests.

This access token can also be stored and used in later requests.

If the client stores the access token in some sort of persistent storage mechanism then it can use the access token next session without having to re-authenticate the user.

If the access token is not stored in persistent storage then the client will need to re authenticate each session.

E4K and EmbyCon use different approaches for this.

EmbyCon does not store the access token between client sessions and re authenticates each time a user starts Kodi or a user is changed with fast user switching.

Thanks, may I ask about the pros and cons about the methods? Saving a token feels more common as it doesn't save the password in plain text. But I guess there isn't much of a difference from a security point of view if somebody steals your password or if somebody steals your access token :-)

TeamB

The main reason I did it this way was this way was easier to manage when tokens were first brought in so I stuck with it.

• Like 1