Missing episode in Kodi (Emby for Kodi)

cryodream

cryodream

I have just started testing emby again, and of course I wanted to use Emby for Kodi. And it seems, straight away, I found a bug.

The episode in question is: SEAL Team season 3 epsiode 1.

The episode is in emby.

post-72545-0-30321400-1570251569_thumb.png

post-72545-0-53881300-1570251590_thumb.png

In Kodi - it actually even shows up in the episode count, when I'm in the tv shows list. Notice the episode count: 44/45

post-72545-0-98356800-1570251549_thumb.jpg

But inside the show - NO episode. Actually, Kodi shows only 2 seasons... Where is season 3?

post-72545-0-90095900-1570251558_thumb.png

I mean, what's happening?

sualfred

-> Try refreshing the metadata information for this episode in the web gui and wait for a possible sync in Kodi

-> Repair your TV show library in Kodi in the addon

If that does not help:

-> Restart Kodi

-> Perform resync your TV show library

-> Provide a log

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/how-to-report-an-issue

cryodream

-> Try refreshing the metadata information for this episode in the web gui and wait for a possible sync in Kodi

This fixed it. Thank you.

Although, it would be nice to know, why this happens and how to prevent it.

It was easy for me to spot this missing episode, because I do manage media in my household. Other users in my house don;t know or care to keep track such things. They just used to me taking care of this...

sualfred

Hard to say. Sometimes a incomplete metadata information is causing it and a refresh is fixing it. If you ever face it again -> Log. Everything else is just guessing.

atcronin

I've noticed this a few times myself recently. Seems to happen with the first episode of the season or with episodes that have had their file replaced.

It just happened again, this time with Mr. Robot S04E01.

I believe it appeared in the recently added episodes when first added (might be mistaken about this) but after restarting kodi it was gone.

As has happened before, in kodi the show's episode play count reflected this missing episode 'Mr. Robot -  31/32'.

However 'Season 04' was not available and I don't believe the episode shows up under '*All Seasons' either. 

I had a look at the kodi MyVideos.db database and the episode is in the (files) and (episodes) tables, however the (episode) entry has an [idSeason] of '1676' which is not in the (seasons) table.

There is a [season] '-1' / [name] 'null' for the show in the (seasons) table with [idSeason] of '1677'.

Metadata refresh for the episode corrected the issue.

after that the kodi MyVideos.db has changed the (episode) entry's [idSeason] to '2230', which corresponds to [season] '4' in the (seasons) table.

Using: 

Kodi DSPlayer 17.6

EMBY 4.2.1.0

Emby for Kodi 4.2.14 - Native Paths

Edited by atcronin

• 1 month later...
cryodream

I am constantly having problems with missing episodes. Almost every day I see episodes missing in Kodi. I have tried refreshing metadata in Emby, I have tried refreshing the individual shows in Kodi, using the context menu > Emby options > Refresh this item. It rarely helps. Episodes are still missing, 9 times out of 10.

The only thing that seems to work to fix the missing episodes is to do the Repair libraries, which takes ~20 minutes each time.

Basically, this problem makes Emby for Kodi useless.

I take care of all the media in my household. No one else cares or wants to keep track of how everything works (Sonarr, Radarr > Emby > Kodi). Nor do I want them to care and mess with my system. Basically, it needs to just work.

I've had enough of the same questions again and again, over the years, like:

Do you have this movie or that show?

When does this or that show start?

Did the new episode came out already?

When I was using Plex, there was always a single easy answer - if it's not in your Plex, it means I do not have it yet. If I have it, it's in your Plex. All you need to do is check. Easy and and reliable.

Now, with Emby for Kodi - I can never trust anything. Because episodes are missing almost every day. And my family is constantly bugging me, again...

Everyone repairing the libraries on every Kodi launch is not a solution. I have almost ~130 TBs of media. That 20 minutes, that it takes to repair, was only for a single library, which is only a small part off all my media. I left Kodi and started using Plex, because I was fed-up with managing multiple Kodi setups, each with multiple users, and constant scanning of all my media, whenever anyone starts up their Kodi. Plex was so much easier for such a big media library and multiple users.

When Plex got worse and worse with every update, I finally considered using Emby with Kodi:

Kodi is the best player.

Emby would keep my library and users maintenance to a minimum.

With Emby for Kodi there is no need for constant library scans, and library updates are super fast.

That was the plan. Which is ruined by unreliability of the library updates. And repairing library every day, takes multiple times longer, that simply using Kodi without Emby at all.

Oh, and one more annoying thing. Whenever I repair a library, the last played dates get reset every time. It seems either Emby itself, or the Emby for Kodi plugin does not care about when the item was watched, and simply sets the watched flag with the current timestamp. So, sorting my shows or movies by Last Seen - forget about it.  :angry:

Please, fix this plugin. Without it, using Kodi with Emby is pointless.

Please, fix the missing episodes.

Please, fix the watched timestamps.

TeamB

Syncing the DB is hard and and can be problematic.

Try using the addon in none syn mode, in the main add-on menu under "Manage Libraries" remove all the libraries.

Now in the main add-in menu your libraries should show (dynamic) next to them this means they are being dynamically loaded from the server as you access them.

This will slow down you access as the data needs to be requested from the server to show to library items but you should not see any sync issues.

This is NOT a fix for you sync issues, it is just a suggestion to allow you to play back your media in Kodi.

horstepipe

I've noticed this a few times myself recently. Seems to happen with the first episode of the season or with episodes that have had their file replaced.

It just happened again, this time with Mr. Robot S04E01.

I believe it appeared in the recently added episodes when first added (might be mistaken about this) but after restarting kodi it was gone.

As has happened before, in kodi the show's episode play count reflected this missing episode 'Mr. Robot -  31/32'.

However 'Season 04' was not available and I don't believe the episode shows up under '*All Seasons' either. 

I had a look at the kodi MyVideos.db database and the episode is in the (files) and (episodes) tables, however the (episode) entry has an [idSeason] of '1676' which is not in the (seasons) table.

There is a [season] '-1' / [name] 'null' for the show in the (seasons) table with [idSeason] of '1677'.

Metadata refresh for the episode corrected the issue.

after that the kodi MyVideos.db has changed the (episode) entry's [idSeason] to '2230', which corresponds to [season] '4' in the (seasons) table.

Using: 

Kodi DSPlayer 17.6

EMBY 4.2.1.0

Emby for Kodi 4.2.14 - Native Paths

Hey

Would you mind to post an issue of your findings together with a Kodi log on Emby for Kodi’s github?

If Angelblue’s willing to return some day, for sure she’s gonna be able to fix it then.

This will slow down you access as the data needs to be requested from the server to show to library items but you should not see any sync issues.

Has this improved over the last couple of years at all?

TeamB

Low powered clients have gotten faster so yes it has improved.

However comparing the Kodi internal DB to the Dynamic access plugin approach is still a big difference as the internal kodi DB is super fast and having to get external data from the server for each page of items for the dynamic view is still slower.

Its what you get used to I guess, I have no issue with a 2 second delay when viewing my 800 movies on my Pi3 (<1sec on the new Pi4) but others that are use to the zippy speed of Kodi and using the local DB it is not acceptable.

Also some people need the actual file paths in the Kodi DB for other add-ons to work, that will never work with dynamic browsing.

Also dynamic browsing requires yo to do a littel more work to set up your skin to fully integrate the home page widgets etc, some people dont know how or can not be bothered to do this.

It is what it is, find the best solution for you, syncing and can problematic, dynamic can be slow and has other limitations. Pick and chose what best suits you.