27 replies to this topic

#1 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

Hi, im sorry for posting alot recently but there are so many things that just aren't working or arent as high quality when compared to competitors.

Firstly in this situation both emby and plex are transcoding.

Emby is using software to decode the HEVC 10bit and using AMF to Encode (this is because for whatever reason emby doesnt currently support HEVC decoding)

The settings are CRF 18 and h264 preset is very slow.

Plex is Decoding this on the RX 580 using DXVA aswell as encoding on the RX 580 using AMF (this has been double checked through DXVA checker and the Encode and Decode tabs to ensure plex wasn't "lying"

The problem im having is quality, i've gone to these two fast paced areas of a video and plex is surprisingly doing much better in terms of quality? i'm on the latest beta for both media servers and was really surprised as when actually viewing the plex video looks much higher resolution and if anything emby should have the upper hand seeing that it's decoding in software and not hardware.

Plex is the player with the yellow play button in the middle:

5d96589243db4_plex.png

5d9658abe30f8_emby.png

As you can see it is much more blocky in emby (2nd pic) and in motion is very noticable.

and Plex is actually very viewable in motion.

Now here im going to post another screenshot at it's worst point in the episode, 1st is plex transcode, 2nd is emby transcode and 3rd is embytheatre direct play

5d965a0102064_plex2.png

5d965a1997cd3_emby2.png

5d965a30352d8_embytheatredirectplay.png

Is there any other settings im missing here in terms of quality?  or does emby just need to really work on the quality / bitrate? as both seem to handle similar amount of transcodes.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140132 posts
  • Local time: 03:56 PM

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks.

#3 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

logs are right here: 

EDIT : attatched 

Attached Files

Edited by zyfinity, 03 October 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#4 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts
  • Local time: 09:56 PM

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

The second set of screenshots is interesting.

Overall, the Plex screenshot appears to be more smooth than the Emby one.

But when you look at the green/orange cloth that the guy is wearing, you can see that there's a lot more detail in the Emby screenshot.

Maybe Plex is applying some smoothing filter. But it could also have a different cause, as we don't even know the resolution of the Plex video: Higher resolution with less quality compared to lower resolution with better quality can have similar effects.

Speaking generally: Currently, Emby does not allow codec specific encoder quality settings. I hope we'll get to implement that soon.

#5 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Hmm, that's what i noticed too that plex was a bit smoother and in motion actually looked much better as the blocky aritfacts on emby were a bit annoying, both were set to the "very slow" preset aswell.

#6 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

The preset setting applies to the software encoder (libx264) only.

#7 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

Hmm, then i don't know what may have caused this as they were both the same video file and maximum settings on both clients for the quality.

Also another issue i have noticed is that the AMF encoder in emby has a bug where the frame rate gets stuck to a low amount such as 11 or 20 which is slower than the video and causes frequent pausing even though the gpu is hardly being utilized? i then simultaniously played the video in plex which was using the same gpu for full hardware acceleration and it got about 50+ fps which is what im looking for? it's weird because sometimes emby works well at the proper fps and sometimes it doesn't, i've also got a dummy hdmi always plugged in so i don't think it would be an issue regarding a monitor not being plugged in?

EDIT: log attatched

Attached Files

Edited by zyfinity, 05 October 2019 - 06:24 PM.

#8 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:22 PM

Hi, for the second issue i finally found what's causing it!, first of all im using an hdmi dummy that's plugged into my graphics card, the issue is that the framerate of transcoding is really slow for some reason (10 - 20 fps) and it seems to be locked at around that fps but if i remote desktop into the computer (Anydesk) the fps suddenly shoots up and starts being normal, now do you know a solution to this? as i'm very confused as to why anydesk a remote desktop app has anything to do with the fps being locked and i even have a dummy hdmi plugged in so shouldnt that solve any weird buggs do to having a headless setup?

#9 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

Drop the dummy plug and the the remote desktop app. 

Start from scratch using a real HDMI device so you can watch what is happening.

Also, make sure to restrict your experiments to a single graphics output port (= primary display) to which you connect a display and reboot first.

This should be your base for testing.

Only try a single change at a time.

#10 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:37 PM

ok will do! I will report all my results here!

#11 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

Great!

One thing I want to add is this: AMD have come very late to the game of video hardware acceleration. Nvidia and Intel are several years ahead in this area. AMD's AMF is a relatively new thing and experience is limited (not just ours).

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140132 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:11 AM

Hi, for the second issue i finally found what's causing it!, first of all im using an hdmi dummy that's plugged into my graphics card, the issue is that the framerate of transcoding is really slow for some reason (10 - 20 fps) and it seems to be locked at around that fps but if i remote desktop into the computer (Anydesk) the fps suddenly shoots up and starts being normal, now do you know a solution to this? as i'm very confused as to why anydesk a remote desktop app has anything to do with the fps being locked and i even have a dummy hdmi plugged in so shouldnt that solve any weird buggs do to having a headless setup?

Hi, so has this been resolved now?

#13 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:27 AM

No, unfortunately I just haven't had the time to do the following tests.

#14 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140132 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:35 AM

Ok thanks for the info.

#15 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:29 AM

Hi, just wondering if the quality issue can be addressed? i tested again today and even full software decoding and encoding didnt help the quality, i tested using the very slow preset and even a CRF of 2 and the quality just isn't great, there seems to be alot of blocky artifacting and this is present with hardware acceleration aswell, it seems that when transcoding the same clip in plex that the quality is there and when playing is actually watchable and much harder to distinguish from direct play, and yes i have also made sure that HW acceleration was actually being used and that plex wasn't lying, i think the problem here is maybe the FFMPEG version or something as the hardware is fully capable, please pay more attention to the quality aspect of transcoding as many users rely on it.

#16 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140132 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:31 AM

Hi, just wondering if the quality issue can be addressed? i tested again today and even full software decoding and encoding didnt help the quality, i tested using the very slow preset and even a CRF of 2 and the quality just isn't great, there seems to be alot of blocky artifacting and this is present with hardware acceleration aswell, it seems that when transcoding the same clip in plex that the quality is there and when playing is actually watchable and much harder to distinguish from direct play, and yes i have also made sure that HW acceleration was actually being used and that plex wasn't lying, i think the problem here is maybe the FFMPEG version or something as the hardware is fully capable, please pay more attention to the quality aspect of transcoding as many users rely on it.

Sorry, because we've discussed multiple issues in this posting, can you link me to the post that has log examples of this? Or just provide new ones? Thanks.

#17 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:32 AM

Post #3 and the images are above showing examples.

#18 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140132 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:35 AM

Ok thanks. @softworkz will take a look.

#19 zyfinity OFFLINE  

zyfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:35 AM

That would be great as this has been driving me crazy for the past few weeks.

#20 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Ok thanks. @softworkz will take a look.

I've already responded to both issues: 

The preset setting applies to the software encoder (libx264) only.

That means: No matter what you set for CRF - it won't have any effect for hardware encoding.

For the other part, here's my response once again:

Drop the dummy plug and the the remote desktop app. 
Start from scratch using a real HDMI device so you can watch what is happening.
Also, make sure to restrict your experiments to a single graphics output port (= primary display) to which you connect a display and reboot first.

This should be your base for testing.
Only try a single change at a time.

I'm afraid, but I cannot help you with your dummy plug being connected, as there is no way to see what it does and whether it works as expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users