Are ISOs a good idea?

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

@ @@Abobader If I'm starting from scratch, is there any downside to ISOs outside of taking up much more HD space?  I have a collection of a few thousand, so doing them as ISOs will save me an amazing amount of time.  

Also, I posted this in Mac because that's what I'm based on right now.  Would there be a better setup for this?

Thanks!

Guest asrequested

Well, if you're just backing them up, sure. But if you want to play them, terrible idea. ISO support is minimal and diminishing. And you're on crapple devices. So it's even more difficult. 

Would there be a better setup for this?

Run screaming from ISOs and crapple. Then you'll have massively more options available to you.

Bigmack3000

Ha, ok. So gotta commit to fully breaking down the special features for each disc.  

What would you recommend?

Bigmack3000

Great, thanks.  And in terms of a non-apple setup, what's a good system that allows for expansion?  

Bigmack3000

I'm expecting the full collection to take up quite a large amount of HD space, but also take a very long time to fully organize.  So a system where I can be setup for the first batch of few hundreds blurays, and also easily add on space as needed, as I rip more films. 

I'm not sure. @ may have some tips. MakeMKV will convert them to files with generic names, so you'll most likely want to rename them after that. It is a very manual process.

Guest asrequested

I'm expecting the full collection to take up quite a large amount of HD space, but also take a very long time to fully organize.  So a system where I can be setup for the first batch of few hundreds blurays, and also easily add on space as needed, as I rip more films. 

You're just talking about storage, correct? For an easily scaled storage system, you should probably use drivepooling. Just use a basic windows computer with physical room for the drives you intend to use. Stablebit and Drivebender are two, but there are others.

• 2 weeks later...
Bigmack3000

You're just talking about storage, correct? For an easily scaled storage system, you should probably use drivepooling. Just use a basic windows computer with physical room for the drives you intend to use. Stablebit and Drivebender are two, but there are others.

Sorry it took me a while to respond.  Would you recommend this over doing a Synology setup?

Spaceboy

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Would you recommend this over doing a Synology setup?

Two sides of the same coin imo. I have both setups, a 20 disk PC with drive bender and a 24 disk synology setup. Both have their pros and cons including price.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Bigmack3000

Two sides of the same coin imo. I have both setups, a 20 disk PC with drive bender and a 24 disk synology setup. Both have their pros and cons including price.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Outside of needing a computer to access the drive, Synology wouldn't need a dedicated computer to run, right?

• 3 weeks later...
GloverEggs

Okay so what is an easy way to have all of the disc features available that isn't an iso and doesn't take a shit ton of time to break everything out into separate files?

I actually want the special features, deleted scenes, interviews, etc. that you get when you put a physical disc in a player.

Okay so what is an easy way to have all of the disc features available that isn't an iso and doesn't take a shit ton of time to break everything out into separate files?

I actually want the special features, deleted scenes, interviews, etc. that you get when you put a physical disc in a player.

Hi there, we have a movie extras feature you may want to check out:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming#movie-extras

Bigmack3000

Since I started this thread originally, I might as well give a quick update on what I ended up with.  I guess there's no "easy" way to do it without ISO, but separating everything ended up not being too crazy to do either.  After 1 blu ray finishes up in MakeMKV, I start sorting through the files while the next blu ray starts up in MakeMKV.  It takes no more than 5 minutes to go through the files and sort them in the folders as Luke posted above.  

It's up to you how crazy you want to go, but I even lowered the MakeMKV detection rate to 20 seconds.  That allows me to grab files for "Video Themes" and Company logos for eventual (fingers crossed) use with the CinemaVision plugin.