Direct Play Working, Unable to Force Transcoding

happybogan

happybogan

Hi,

My current setup is:

Emby server (latest version) installed to QNAP TS-870 Pro

Emby for WMC client installed on Intel NUC

I can get Emby to 'Direct Play' no problem but I would like to have it transcode (as I am accessing the server via WiFi). Even if I change the client setting under max bitrate down to it's lowest (1Mbps) it still direct plays and won't transcode.

Would love to know how to fix this.

Regards,

Logan.

Hi there, why do you want to do this? The Emby for WMC client uses the WMC video player which is very old. It will not handle transcoded video very well.

happybogan

As I am accessing the video over WiFi the video is stuttering. I have changed the settings under User>Playback Setting>Video Quality and no matter which setting I choose (even 240p) it still stays the same and still says 'Direct Playing'.

I have Plex transcoding 1080p at 20Mbps and it works great (if I change it to 30Mbps it stutters). Would love to be able to have this setup for my Emby but can't seem to get it to transcode at all?

I have changed the settings under User>Playback Setting>Video Quality

This is a web app setting. Each app has it's own setting for this. Emby for WMC will have one too.

jachin99

If you want it to transcode then I believe you have to open the EMC configurator and specify each file type you would like to transcode. What is the file type your trying to play and have you installed any additional codecs?

AdrianW

Whereabouts can this be adjusted from in Emby for WMC?

Sorry, I can't remember at all - it's been many years since I switched to ET. And a few years since I gave up on external players altogether.