Emby Server connection issues

qlinyear
Go to solution Solved by paulson121591,

qlinyear

I have been unable to connect to the Emby Server on my iPhone using the Emby app.  I receive a message that says "Connection Failure."  I also am not able to connect to the Emby Server using Emby Theater on my work computer.  However, I am able to connect to the Emby server on my iPad using the Emby app.  I have an active subscription to Emby Premiere.  I also opened up port 8096 on my router, but I am still unable to connect on my iPhone.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Happy2Play

How are you connecting?  Sounds like via Connect.  Have you tried manually connecting entering wan ip or ddns if you have one?

qlinyear

When I open the app I see the name of my server.  When I click on it, after a few seconds it says "connection failed"  When I enter the server IP address (local and remote) the same thing happens; after a few seconds "connection failed."

i checked https://canyouseeme.org/ and it can not see the port. what now?

That means the server is not reachable externally via that port so something in the network configuration isn't correct or complete.

network configuration in emby or my router settings?

It could be either. This is a problem that is specific to your network environment and ISP, so it might require a little trial and error. What exactly did you forward?

Hi.  None of this has anything to do with Emby really.  It is all basic network configuration which, these days, is much more focused on security than it is ease of use.

But, with the proper configuration, it can be made to work.  You just need to figure out exactly how your particular environment needs to be configured.

paulson121591

Are you sure you have the correct internal host address?

thank you, that would be the "192" address correct? i would get that from the emby dashboard right? you are asking me if the port i forwarded on my spectrum router matches the "In-Home (LAN) access:"  from the dashboard? 

if so then yes.

the external also matches the "Remote (WAN) access"

Edited by paulson121591

paulson121591

Okay, so for anyone that comes across this in the future:

for Spectrum Routers 

I went into "Access Control" then went to the "DMZ" tab I click "Enable" 

that gave me a drop down. I selected the name of the computer my server is installed on 

click apply 

I was then able to access the server remotely.

Admins please correct me if I am wrong but the troubleshooting guide did not include anything on DMZ settings. You may want to add that in.

Thank you for trying to help. 

pwhodges

Most routers have multiple ways to enable access to internal machines.  Enabling the DMZ is often the easiest - BUT NOTE, it exposes the whole machine to the internet, so you have to be that much more careful that the machine's own firewall is stopping access that you wouldn't want.  Some routers may have a separate firewall which can control access to the DMZ, but those are usually higher-end devices.

Even though you now have a working system, it's worth checking if the router has a "port-mapping" option which should be able to configure access just to the one port needed.

• Like 1

Okay, so for anyone that comes across this in the future:

for Spectrum Routers 

I went into "Access Control" then went to the "DMZ" tab I click "Enable" 

that gave me a drop down. I selected the name of the computer my server is installed on 

click apply 

I was then able to access the server remotely.

Admins please correct me if I am wrong but the troubleshooting guide did not include anything on DMZ settings. You may want to add that in.

Thank you for trying to help. 

Thanks for sticking with it. Glad you resolved it !

paulson121591

Most routers have multiple ways to enable access to internal machines.  Enabling the DMZ is often the easiest - BUT NOTE, it exposes the whole machine to the internet, so you have to be that much more careful that the machine's own firewall is stopping access that you wouldn't want.  Some routers may have a separate firewall which can control access to the DMZ, but those are usually higher-end devices.

Even though you now have a working system, it's worth checking if the router has a "port-mapping" option which should be able to configure access just to the one port needed.

Thank you.

This was a concern of mine. i do have port mapping and I'll try that if it works I'll update my previous post.  

Happy2Play

If putting the machine in the DMZ works, then that proves there is a configuration that needs to be adjusted somewhere to accomplish the same things without putting the machine in the DMZ.

qlinyear

I was asked to go through the Connectivity Guide so here goes.  I have a subscription to Emby Premiere.

Troubleshooting Internal Connections:

1.  At home the Emby server is on.  I type the local IP address in the browser on my iPad and iPhone, but I don't connect to the Emby Server.  However I can access the Emby server through the iPad app but not the iPhone app.

2.  I have configured port 8096 to open on my Windows Firewall on my home PC.  It still does not connect.

3.  I have run the anitvirus scan on my home computer.  No viruses where found.  It still does not connect.

External Connection:

1.  At work, I can't connect to the server using Emby Theater.  I type the external IP address in the browser of my work computer  but I don't connect to the Emby Server.

2.  I forwarded port 8096 to my home router.  I still cannot connect to the Emby Server at work.

3.  I tested the public port using canyouseeme.org.  It says that it has access to port 8096., it can see my service, and that my port is not blocked.

After doing everything on the Connectivity Guide, I am still having trouble accessing the Emby Server on my iPhone app and Emby Theather on my work computer.  Please help.

2.  I forwarded port 8096 to my home router.  I still cannot connect to the Emby Server at work.

You don't forward that port TO your router.  You setup a routing rule on the router that takes traffic from the external IP address and that (or whatever) port and forwards it to your local machine's IP and port 8096.  However, that has no bearing on local traffic and you said you cannot connect locally from the browser which points to basic firewall setup on the server machine or something in your browser that is blocking it (or you not actually knowing the proper local IP address).

and Emby Theather on my work computer. 

A lot of work environments restrict the sites you can access.  I would test from another external network as well.

Happy2Play

As discussed in a PM I am able to connect to @@qlinyear WAN/port address and get to the login page, so I really have no clue why they can't connect to their WAN/port.  From work I would have to guess and say possibly the work network is blocking that port traffic.  But from home there should be no issue that I can really think of, unless they have multiple networks on their LAN.