Emby Server connection issues

qlinyear
Go to solution Solved by paulson121591,

Q-Droid

Ah, I get it now. Providing an external IP in that field is what kept it from working. It looks like your router might allow restricting who can access those ports remotely (source IP). So it may accept a single IP, an IP list, range or perhaps a subnet. Leaving it empty allows everyone. I'm only guessing because the documentation I've found for it does not mention these options. But having that field in the form without tips/help can make things confusing. Glad it's working.

Ah, I get it now. Providing an external IP in that field is what kept it from working. It looks like your router might allow restricting who can access those ports remotely (source IP). So it may accept a single IP, an IP list, range or perhaps a subnet. Leaving it empty allows everyone. I'm only guessing because the documentation I've found for it does not mention these options. But having that field in the form without tips/help can make things confusing. Glad it's working.

Yep - I'll bet you're right as to the purpose of that field and him filling it in restricted access to only his IP which would block everything :).

paulson121591

Its actually pretty horrible. I read the ENTIRE Manuel for this router, not only does it not explain this, it has NO MENTION of port forwarding at all

I know this forum may make me look like an idiot who shouldn't be touching his router settings. However, while I lack knowledge in networks, I actually program in python as a hobby and i am generally pretty good with computers and problem solving.

The fact that this took me days to figure out and that my original solution was not only incorrect, but also dangerous, was kinda a big blow to my ego.  :lol:

So again thanks for sticking it out and trying to get to the bottom of it. 

pwhodges

There's nothing to be ashamed of (embarrassment is up to you).  I started on computers in 1966, and as a career from 1971 (partly in support), and I still get caught out from time to time!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Vandal093

Why is it that Plex requires little setup to work, while Emby requires manipulating the router port just to connect from an outside device?

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, Vandal093 said:

Why is it that Plex requires little setup to work, while Emby requires manipulating the router port just to connect from an outside device?

Sorry I don't follow as Plex has just as many requirements.  But if you don't have point to point access (ie Direct) they become a relay/man in the middle and Emby does not.

pwhodges

To be fair, that article is about the machine running Plex, not the router (it explicitly says that at the top).

The question really is whether you want to rely on Plex to act as a relay, and trust their security and performance, or prefer (the Emby way) to be responsible for your own system and its working.

Paul

• Like 1

@Vandal093, don't you want a personal media server, and not one that routes all of your data through another company's cloud relay servers?

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2019 at 8:15 AM, paulson121591 said:

see below i think this should clear it up 

yes this is correct 

Sorry let me update this to be as clear as possible. I hope I can help some one in the future 

On my router options I have a few boxes I can fill in 

1."Custom service name" 

2."Service"

3."Protocol"

4."External host"

5"External Port"

6."Internal host"

7."Internal Port"

as shown here...

5d9b42d4793c0_2019100709_48_40StrokesPlu

So... the way i filled it out the first time was incorrect. I entered the "Remote access  IP"  that i got from the Emby dashboard into the "external IP" this was just a dumb mistake.     

see below for the CORRECT way to fill it out IF you have this router or something like it

5d9b452b961c7_2019100709_57_23StrokesPlu

as you can see External host should be blank. I believe this is the correct way to have it 

AGAIN if anyone sees an issue with this please correct me 

also...

If you come across this in the future please DO NOT take my earlier advice of putting your server into a DMZ 

I don't know how to delete a post but I would if I could.

Hope this helps someone! 

Thanks for everyone's help

Thank you so much!!!!! Its been months since I tried to solve the external issue with no avail. It took me quite a while to figure out everything but I saw you have the very same router as I do. Yes removing the external IP does the trick, I deleted even the rules from the firewall and it works now. Thank you thank you.