slow performance with big libraries

mbo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

• 1 month later...
CyberPoison
I have a pretty big (2000+ items) movie library and i moved from a 2015 LG TV to a 2019 Model (65C97LA).

With the old one the app was more or less unuseable - but the overall performance was bad so i did not really care. But with the new TV everything (including emby) is smooth but my movie library with over 2000 items is _very_ slow.

It seems that you do lazy load the pictures but that the html items are already in place (just gussing) which seems to slow down the TV a lot. Would it be possible to improve the performance ? Splitting the libraries does not make much sense for me but propably you could insert pagination for 400 items or so like you do on the web "app" ? Or "just" enhance the performance with some coding magic? default_wink.png

Thank you
I don't agree with 400 items per page, if with plex works well it can be improved to show the whole library without pagination of item (400 items per page) because is annoying to change page everytime, but i also have this performance issue I have 5 000 movies and when i scroll down it takes many time to show me the posters and to scroll smoothly, so at first recommend a performance feature to scroll smoothly or better than plex scroll, btw it have to be enhanced a lot because with big library it is annoying to wait.

But i also posted the same issue today.
@luke there is any ETA for the release?

Sent from my VOG-L29 with Tapatalk

Postspeicher

I am a bit disappointed. The problem  exist since September and nothing has happened. I have the feeling that users  are not so important, emby is "not hearing user problems"...

Actually it can not  be that difficult to include pages so that does not have to be loaded every time the entire library

LG software not working with big libraries
firetv  no trailer function  (anymore - same problem , nobody is "hearing" since months) 

EMBY = unfortunately for me not usable

Edited by Postspeicher
  • Like 1

CyberPoison

I am a bit disappointed. The problem  exist since September and nothing has happened. I have the feeling that users  are not so important, emby is "not hearing user problems"...

Actually it can not  be that difficult to include pages so that does not have to be loaded every time the entire library

LG software not working with big libraries
firetv  no trailer function  (anymore - same problem , nobody is "hearing" since months) 

EMBY = unfortunately for me not usable

Yeah maybe Emby have many issues but emby is more younger than plex so you need to wait because the time-line is far distant between each once, but I don't like the idea of limitation by page it's better all in a same page but with something to load smoothly, plex do that so there is no reason why emby is not capable to do that also.

According to Wikipedia plex as been released in 2008 and emby is many years younger so new softwares need Enacement as well needed and not upgrading just one time just for one bug I prefer an upgrade that solve all problems than one upgrade for one problems I'm pretty sure with time I will find many issues out there this is for sure and i don't need to go far way just need to take a look at 2160p HDR10 movies.

Till now i have used both one for iptv(Twitch stream, YouTube Streams, etc..) share between co-workers family and friends, and other for movies, anyway I thought than emby can beat dramastically plex if they do a really hard job like improving Android and iOS apps (And all other apps assuming than have employees for that purpose) like using exoplayer native and best player not contractual (or whatever) players like mpv or what $#!%$ exists on github if emby whant to be the best they need the best tools to achieve the jobs as well.
@luke

• 1 month later...
NakedPirate

Indeed, even list view makes no difference... TV is LG UM7450LMA. Scrolling through big libraries takes a few seconds per row, so it is really unusable... Thank you.

It's resolved for the next app update, which we're working on releasing. Thanks for the feedback.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
sirfrancis18
On 14/06/2020 at 22:18, CyberPoison said:

Yeah maybe Emby have many issues but emby is more younger than plex so you need to wait because the time-line is far distant between each once, but I don't like the idea of limitation by page it's better all in a same page but with something to load smoothly, plex do that so there is no reason why emby is not capable to do that also.

According to Wikipedia plex as been released in 2008 and emby is many years younger so new softwares need Enacement as well needed and not upgrading just one time just for one bug I prefer an upgrade that solve all problems than one upgrade for one problems I'm pretty sure with time I will find many issues out there this is for sure and i don't need to go far way just need to take a look at 2160p HDR10 movies.

Till now i have used both one for iptv(Twitch stream, YouTube Streams, etc..) share between co-workers family and friends, and other for movies, anyway I thought than emby can beat dramastically plex if they do a really hard job like improving Android and iOS apps (And all other apps assuming than have employees for that purpose) like using exoplayer native and best player not contractual (or whatever) players like mpv or what $#!%$ exists on github if emby whant to be the best they need the best tools to achieve the jobs as well.
@luke

jellyfin is a emby's fork and has pagination 

Edited by sirfrancis18

This is resolved in our next app update with virtual scrolling and won't require any pagination.

sirfrancis18

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

This is resolved in our next app update with virtual scrolling and won't require any pagination.

will it work in all versions? web,android,tv

Edited by sirfrancis18

Yes but it's already in the web app, Android app and others. It's just not in the lg app yet but it will be in the next app update, which we are currently working on submitting.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi @Luke I hate to bug/nag but we are at our wits end with this now and up to 10 seconds for a response from a button press with 3 X LG's in the household I am sure you can appreciate the frustration.

should I now buy 3 Firesticks?

Thanks

@mbc0 why do you do something that you hate? 😂

I am also awaiting the LG Update - but it seems that we need to wait a little more ...

Sorry, we are trying to get the update pushed through, but the LG review process can be really difficult at times. Hopefully it will be available soon.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Sorry, we are trying to get the update pushed through, but the LG review process can be really difficult at times. Hopefully it will be available soon.

Thanks Luke

6 hours ago, mbo said:

@mbc0 why do you do something that you hate? 😂

Frustration! 😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, CyberPoison said:

Please update the app to fix the slow scrolling on large library like 5K movies or less (2000+) issue on LG WebOS 

We are all wating mate 😉

On 10/4/2020 at 6:37 PM, Luke said:

Hopefully it will be here soon. My TV is also slow on movies. I can't even cast it at this point. And it's really sad to have this issue because. I use a dedicated server and somany resource to run emby server. To watch some movies

• 2 weeks later...
CyberPoison

@Luke any news concerning the app update request through the LG WebOS Store? Can you try the best to get it this years if possible before Christmas 🎄

Happy2Play

All you can do is wait on the LG review process.  So is they don't like something they kick it back and the devs fix and resubmit.  So there is no way to give a time frame. 

• 1 month later...
CyberPoison

Any news @Luke about this issue? Can you try to figure out the statement of the review process have you contacted LG to hurry up their review because it was elapsed 1 to 3 month until the push to the LG web store to correct the problem 

As I understand you are on step 2 regarding this process review

http://webostv.developer.lge.com/distribute/app-submission-process/

BTW I don't understand why LG don't have found the big library issue when the first app releases have made since this bug (Slow libraries with a lot movies) have existed ever since the first app release so it will be nice if LG check fully the app at once time, 

I have a question how LG check the performance and the quality of the app? The Emby Inc have provided a acess to a 5K non copyright movies examples for performance testing and quality checks? 

Can you tell more about the LG review process and if you can tell us if they are nearly complete the review process or if this is a part of work to be done from Emby LLC no sure how the review process work. 

Just to be sure did you have tested the app with huge library like said by many people, before the push to webos store?

There is no way to install the app by sideload? Instead of dl it from webos store? Because for next year you do 2 or 3 push to the webos store but let's us test the beta apps to test it and report future bugs or future improvements like web design or performance stuff. 

You have developers paid by emby LLC specifically for LG app or is a person who did it in her freetime? 

Does the LG App use the native media player for full support of formats and quality (Out of topics subject but need to know ) ? 

So if you want more improvement on Smart TV Apps do a bêta acess and alpha apps downlodable from here and let us side load it and you do a 2 or 3 push every year to LG/Samsung or what ever to the store app. 

Edited by CyberPoison