Make collections path independent

levander

Happy2Play

Could you use the Title of the media to ensure it always goes into a collection? Maybe the Title plus Year to provide better accuracy. This way if I update The Omega Man (1971).avi to a better quality version the library just looks at TitleName.xxx.

But then you are forcing everyone to a specific naming format.

aaronsomek

No necessarily, you just have to name the new file the same as the old file (minus the extension), that name can be whatever you prefer. As long as they match then it goes into the collection. Just a thought.

levander

Could you use the Title of the media to ensure it always goes into a collection? Maybe the Title plus Year to provide better accuracy. This way if I update The Omega Man (1971).avi to a better quality version the library just looks at TitleName.xxx.

Renaming files or any basic metadata should not interfere with what belongs to Collections. There are many films with alternative titles and you should be able to freely change titles without thinking that it might affect collections... right?

I'm afraid that would be even worse than using the public IDs because you would have inaccuracies plus the fact that all versions would be included always.

ginjaninja

maybe some targeted solutions for common changes users make is more achievable than a perfect solution.

Case 1 - admin updates quality of file

Solution - If the path\filename is the same then treat as same, keep in collection, and update collection tracking metadata (filesize)

Case 2 - admin moves the file

Solution - if the filename and filesize are the same then treat as same, keep in collection, and update the collection tracking metadata (file path)

Case 3 - admin renames a file

Solution - if the filesize + 1 of any core? embdedded / fetched metadata is the same, keep in collection, and update the collection tracking metadata (filename)

where core metadata = a provider id, title+artist on a music file, ??

maybe collections check against these 3  cases as and when content is about to be removed from a collection because it cant be found (as opposed to administratively removed).

maybe a protection mechanism option "only search from content is the same library"

if an admin does two things at the same time (renames and moves a file), then too bad.

would something like this work more often than not?

The problem is it is not an easy task for the system to determine those conditions and attempting to build that kind of thing in would 1) create more complexity that has the potential for more problems (mis-identifications and bugs) and 2) slows down the scan process every time potentially significantly for a very rare occurrence.

• 1 month later...
thebnich

Every single collection I have only contains movies with imdb/tmdb/tvdb IDs.

So my idea would be to allow both the full path to the media file and a unique imdb/tmdb/tvdb ID in the collection.xml.

If the item you add to a collection has a imdb/tmdb/tvdb ID, then store that in the collection.xml file.

If the item does not have a unique ID, then store the full path to the file.

If this were to be solved, I think this would be the only real option.

And what if you had two different versions of the same movie that you didn't wish to be in that collection?

There's no magic way for Emby to know my reasoning for a particular collection, so I think this would need a collection-specific option. Something like "Keep different versions of the same media in this collection", for example.

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

How will it work? How will it affect existing collections? 

Existing will be migrated to the new storage. Now collections will just be assigned to items just like genres or studios, so if you enable nfo metadata they'll get saved in there.

• 2 weeks later...
crusher11

Can I ask when we might see this hit the beta? I want to do an overhaul of my collections, but I'd rather wait for this to roll out if it's not going to be too far away.