Experiencing lots of "Buffering/lag" issues, especially with larger movies

SirrSterl

lightsout

Surely a 1070ti can transcode one 4k file? My 1050ti center do it.

Not sure why the lag but if these files are HDR it's pointless because the color will be wrong.

SirrSterl

Yes based on the log in the first post, if you want to be able to transcode this file on the fly, you may need a more powerful server machine. Can you describe the machine that emby server is running on? You could also check out our media conversion feature:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

This will allow you to convert the media ahead of time to a lower resolution.

It’s my desktop PC. I7-2600 with a 1070ti. I guess I’ll just have emby convert them for me

SirrSterl

Surely a 1070ti can transcode one 4k file? My 1050ti center do it.

Not sure why the lag but if these files are HDR it's pointless because the color will be wrong.

That’s what I thought but I guess my processor can’t keep up? Honestly not sure.

lightsout

That’s what I thought but I guess my processor can’t keep up? Honestly not sure.

I am not sure what's going on, I am not able to read the logs. But your setup should be fine. I am testing right now, sure I have more cores (Ryzen 1800x) but my cpu is at about 5-10%. I am transcoding a 4k file to 1080p 4mbps, the 1050ti has peaked at 45c. 

I used to do this with an i5-4570s as well. Your setup should be fine for one transcode of a 4k source. Something else seems off. 

SirrSterl

I am not sure what's going on, I am not able to read the logs. But your setup should be fine. I am testing right now, sure I have more cores (Ryzen 1800x) but my cpu is at about 5-10%. I am transcoding a 4k file to 1080p 4mbps, the 1050ti has peaked at 45c.

I used to do this with an i5-4570s as well. Your setup should be fine for one transcode of a 4k source. Something else seems off.

Honestly playback has gotten worse for me since I upgraded to premium. I can only imagine my setup is fine but something in my settings is off

lightsout

Honestly playback has gotten worse for me since I upgraded to premium. I can only imagine my setup is fine but something in my settings is off

That’s strange. There’s not all that much to setup. Do you have everything checked off in the transcoding section? I wonder if your network is actually the issue? Just thinking out loud.

When you play a file that is transcoding and go to the server dashboard how is the performance? Is the transcoding able to keep up?

Edited by lightsout

SirrSterl

That’s strange. There’s not all that much to setup. Do you have everything checked off in the transcoding section? I wonder if your network is actually the issue? Just thinking out loud.

When you play a file that is transcoding and go to the server dashboard how is the performance? Is the transcoding able to keep up?

I have 200/20 currently direct to the server. Stuttering has definitely gotten worse on all videos regardless of size/4K/HDR so i turned off hardware acceleration for now. At least with it off I only have issues with those movies. Since nobody else seems to have these issues I'm thinking I'm going to just wipe it and set up a new server on a different computer and hope for the best

Sammy

I have 200/20 currently direct to the server. Stuttering has definitely gotten worse on all videos regardless of size/4K/HDR so i turned off hardware acceleration for now. At least with it off I only have issues with those movies. Since nobody else seems to have these issues I'm thinking I'm going to just wipe it and set up a new server on a different computer and hope for the best

Wait a minute!

What does your internet connection speed have to do with this? Did I miss something? This isn't a local client?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

SirrSterl

Wait a minute!

What does your internet connection speed have to do with this? Did I miss something? This isn't a local client?

The log is from a local client but the issue is the same regardless of local or remote. Just sharing everything to show I'm at a loss

The log is from a local client but the issue is the same regardless of local or remote. Just sharing everything to show I'm at a loss

From a remote perspective, you will have a hard time stuffing a 50mb file through a 20Mb (advertised) upload pipe...

SirrSterl

From a remote perspective, you will have a hard time stuffing a 50mb file through a 20Mb (advertised) upload pipe...

Yeah I know it’s closer to 14 when I ran the test but still never really had issues unless it was a large file. Not sure why I have issues with my 1070ti even on local but I’m upgrading to att gigabit and I’ll be upgrading my PC soon enough so it’s just going to have to be an issue I deal with for now. According to most people in this thread it should work fine but it doesn’t so I have to assume it’s my hardware

lightsout

Yeah I know it’s closer to 14 when I ran the test but still never really had issues unless it was a large file. Not sure why I have issues with my 1070ti even on local but I’m upgrading to att gigabit and I’ll be upgrading my PC soon enough so it’s just going to have to be an issue I deal with for now. According to most people in this thread it should work fine but it doesn’t so I have to assume it’s my hardware

For sure your hardware is up to snuff, if we are talking local there is either an issue with your software setup/network/or client you are serving media to. Have you tried playing these same files through the web browser on the server itself. Or through some other device. 

You may just be throwing money away buying new hardware.

Happy2Play

Sorry we would need to see ffmpeg logs of the issue when using HWA.  As the only log posted is for the i7-2600 software decode/encode of hevc to h264.  The i7-2600 appears to chocks on hevc conversion.

Edited by Happy2Play

SirrSterl

For sure your hardware is up to snuff, if we are talking local there is either an issue with your software setup/network/or client you are serving media to. Have you tried playing these same files through the web browser on the server itself. Or through some other device.

You may just be throwing money away buying new hardware.

Yes they play fine on the web browser, just not anywhere else. Tried local on mobile, fire stick, roll. Roe more on iPad, and mobile. Always the same. Used to only have stuttering when playing large 4K files, after upgrading to premium I had the stuttering constantly regardless of file type. I’ve turned off GPU acceleration for now

SirrSterl

Sorry we would need to see ffmpeg logs of the issue when using HWA. As the only log posted is for the i7-2600 software decode/encode of hevc to h264. The i7-2600 appears to chocks on hevc conversion.

Can you explain that in simpler terms?

He's just making an educated guess but if you can provide the transcoding log then we can provide more detail. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sammy

Can you explain that in simpler terms?

The CPU is choking on h.265 as expected. Additionally, it is possible your GPU isn't doing the work.

Edited by Sammy