Experiencing lots of "Buffering/lag" issues, especially with larger movies

SirrSterl

SirrSterl

I'm honestly not sure how to set up the technical specs so its possibly I just don't have something set up correctly but I constantly experience lag issues with larger file movies. This usually only happens with large (20G+) files. Most of these are 4K so I'm thinking thats the issue but I have no idea how to fix this. Any help is appreciated. I watched Dr. Strange for a few seconds until it started stuttering and attached the log 

ffmpeg-transcode-96e53d5e-0834-4512-8939-ff94567a371e_1.txt

Edited by SirrSterl

Happy2Play

What system is the server on?  It would appear the system is not fast enough to transcode the media.

elapsed=00:06:46.87 frame= 8441 fps= 21 q=-1.0 Lsize=  437692kB time=00:05:52.47 bitrate=10172.6kbits/s throttle=off speed=0.866x

TranscodeReasons=VideoProfileNotSupported
Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

SirrSterl

What system is the server on?  It would appear the system is not fast enough to transcode the media.

elapsed=00:06:46.87 frame= 8441 fps= 21 q=-1.0 Lsize=  437692kB time=00:05:52.47 bitrate=10172.6kbits/s throttle=off speed=0.866x

TranscodeReasons=VideoProfileNotSupported

Server is on my PC. i7-2600. I was watching on my phone. Is there a way for me to test this or tweak my settings?

Happy2Play

I know that processor only supports h264 encoding and decoding so Hardware acceleration in not a option. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

I don't think it will make a difference but the only other thing you could try is lowering the in app quality, since hevc to h264 Emby doubles the rate to try and maintain the quality.  Your media has "Bitrate":58814389 and is converted to -maxrate 117628778.  But log basically shows the cpu conversion can not keep up with playback as you would need a conversion speed of 1 or more.

So the only way you would be able to play HEVC content would be if it were able to direct play to the client.

Edited by Happy2Play

SirrSterl

I know that processor only supports h264 encoding and decoding so Hardware acceleration in not a option. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

I don't think it will make a difference but the only other thing you could try is lowering the in app quality, since hevc to h264 Emby doubles the rate to try and maintain the quality.  Your media has "Bitrate":58814389 and is converted to -maxrate 117628778.  But log basically shows the cpu conversion can not keep up with playback as you would need a conversion speed of 1 or more.

So the only way you would be able to play HEVC content would be if it were able to direct play to the client.

Would upgrading to emby premiere and using the GPU solve that problem? Or would I have to get a better processor either way?

SirrSterl

Get an Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb GPU.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I have a 1070Ti. I'm just asking if upgrading will put all of the work on the GPU or if I'll still have issues because of my processor 

Happy2Play

I have a 1070Ti. I'm just asking if upgrading will put all of the work on the GPU or if I'll still have issues because of my processor 

If you have premiere and that gpu, yes it help as hardware acceleration could be used.  

• Like 1

lightsout

But also know that if you transcode a 4k HDR file it's going to look washed out. Not something you want to do. Because the HDR info is not retained and the HDR to SDR conversion is not done properly.

Yep, the premiere subscription will open up transcoding for you and solve all these problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

SirrSterl

But also know that if you transcode a 4k HDR file it's going to look washed out. Not something you want to do. Because the HDR info is not retained and the HDR to SDR conversion is not done properly.

So you’re saying if I want to stream a HDR movie Emby isn’t a good option regardless of setup or processor?

lightsout

So you’re saying if I want to stream a HDR movie Emby isn’t a good option regardless of setup or processor?

You want to direct play it. Currently if you transcode it with emby (or plex) it messes up the color. Idk if you have ever tried to watch an HDR video on an sdr monitor but it looks like that.

All washed out and pale. Not sure how laggy playback was on your phone but usually you will notice it right away.

Generally if it direct plays you'll get HDR. If it has to transcode, then it will require HDR to SDR tone mapping.

Bill4sman

Get a Nvidia Shield and you'll likely never transcode again! I went down the more power, bandwidth and transcoding rabbit hole so stop before you drive yourself crazy. Buy a shield.

SirrSterl

Generally if it direct plays you'll get HDR. If it has to transcode, then it will require HDR to SDR tone mapping.

I don’t know what you mean by “direct play”

Bill4sman

Direct play means it's simply serving the file without doing anything to it like transcoding. Getting a device that will Direct Play 4K files will resolve your issues completely.

SirrSterl

Direct play means it's simply serving the file without doing anything to it like transcoding. Getting a device that will Direct Play 4K files will resolve your issues completely.

I normally stream to a 4K fireTV that I have these issues with. Do I need a more powerful device? Or are there settings I need to tweak on the device? I don’t really know anything about video transcoding

Bill4sman

Yes, the FireTV is weak at best and I have one as well in a drawer after getting the Shield. Trust me, your problems are over with the shield as client.

SirrSterl

So, I upgraded to premium but still have the same buffering issues with GPU Acceleration enabled and my GPU is a 1070ti. Any other recommendations? Or do I just need a better PC?

Bill4sman

Get a shield, you're fighting an uphill battle you will certainly lose. Your TV likely doesn't accept the block of data its being sent so get a shield.

SirrSterl

Get a shield, you're fighting an uphill battle you will certainly lose. Your TV likely doesn't accept the block of data its being sent so get a shield.

A shield would be fine for one location but the whole point in me using emby is streaming to different locations and to my phone. A shield is not a good solution

SirrSterl

if you're trying to stream 4K get Shields for all or drop it down to 1080p for those devices. DirectPlay is the goal not transcoding.

I need the 4K files to display 1080p on the devices that don’t support 4K so my goal is successful transcoding

Yes based on the log in the first post, if you want to be able to transcode this file on the fly, you may need a more powerful server machine. Can you describe the machine that emby server is running on? You could also check out our media conversion feature:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

This will allow you to convert the media ahead of time to a lower resolution.