39 replies to this topic

#21 snodrog742 OFFLINE  

snodrog742

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 AM

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

I haven't read through everything but reported this issue months ago and requested @speechles's help.... just sayin'.  Good luck!

#22 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 PM

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

Yep. Firmwares all up to date - I did say this sometime above.

Edited by vaise, 29 September 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#23 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

@speechless, when you get some time, can you look at those two screenshots above for Cold Feet / Legit so I know what is wrong with those - in case they have a diff issue with the roku streaming stick.

I don't know where to look in the media info.

Thanks.

#24 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5766 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

@speechless, when you get some time, can you look at those two screenshots above for Cold Feet / Legit so I know what is wrong with those - in case they have a diff issue with the roku streaming stick.

I don't know where to look in the media info.

Thanks.

Is it is a streaming stick and does not have the WiFi dongle in the usb cable?

akrales_171031_2100_0021.0.jpg

See that bulgy thing on the usb power cable (says Roku on that big swollen part of the cable). That is the cable actually doing double duty and acting as an active amplifier to up the gain of the WiFi antenna. 

Are these 3800 or 3810 streaming sticks? I have the same model and don't experience the drop outs but I am literally right next to the router.

I honestly do not see anything off in your 2 videos. They are both AVC one with 4 the other 5 reference frames. They are within spec 100% for Roku. The fact they hang at a certain spot means something is off but I cannot tell what that would be just by looking at the media details for those files. There is no issues there. They should play. They are simply AVC 720P MKV with simple streams inside. There is nothing complex about what is in those. At best it might.. might be the captions. Those may turn themselves on and force an entire transcode of the video stream. That could cause the problem as it would involve another gear in the machine that can break. The logs you have shown show this as direct stream so it isn't captions. But on some it could be.

This is a very hard thing to diagnose as these files technically should play. It is something in the "going across the internet" or "from internet over their WiFi" to where it reaches their Roku. Either the internet or the WiFi is acting up at those times? Alot of activity on that network the user is on which slows down their own streaming unintentionally? Maybe something similar to this?

I have seriously looked over the app for faults and the only one I see is we are migrating the PostAPI for capabilties on-the-fly to within the actual video player fallback routine. Right now it cannot adapt on-the-fly to some changes and would need an app reboot. But we are going to fix that shortly too. Being 100% transparent here. We aren't doing anything different with that file than any other that plays on your network. So playing remotely should similarly just work. The fact it isn't means something is actively "in the way". Finding what that is would shed light on how to work around it.

I want to solve it but do not have enough information to know how... 

Edited by speechles, 30 September 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#25 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:57 PM

Howdy. Yep, same as pic. Current shipping model. Streaming stick 4K plus.

We may have to put this into the too hard basket then.

I had them play a working media file, then a non working one, etc etc over and over and again every 15 seconds. It’s only the ‘broken’ ones that don’t work. If it was a wifi/comms issue then surely a working one would have an issue in one of those tests at some stage.

They are in Bali now for a few days and took their stick with them.

#26 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:43 AM

Id like to offer some more info on this - as I have this HEVC issue crashing two Roku 2's now too.

If a user plays this, then the emby console says direct playing as below, but the roku emby app has crashed and nothing works, you have to press home to get out of it.

I cant really recommend anyone get Roku's if this is the issue.

Above was mentioned Roku's have an issue with HEVC but it cannot be picked up by the roku playback, but before you actually play the show, it does say above play button - Video: 720P HEVC so before then it knows what it is, cant you pick that and decide to fully trancode and not try to do what it is doing below and crashing the emby app ?

Even when the user exists emby, the console still shows the show as per below for some time.

5da02481c8661_Capture1.jpg

#27 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48092 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

Id like to offer some more info on this - as I have this HEVC issue crashing two Roku 2's now too.

If a user plays this, then the emby console says direct playing as below, but the roku emby app has crashed and nothing works, you have to press home to get out of it.

I cant really recommend anyone get Roku's if this is the issue.

Above was mentioned Roku's have an issue with HEVC but it cannot be picked up by the roku playback, but before you actually play the show, it does say above play button - Video: 720P HEVC so before then it knows what it is, cant you pick that and decide to fully trancode and not try to do what it is doing below and crashing the emby app ?

Even when the user exists emby, the console still shows the show as per below for some time.

5da02481c8661_Capture1.jpg

That is not direct playing (even though that's what it says there).  That is transcoding. We need to figure out where in the fallback the app is getting hung up.  Can you set me up with access to your server (and this item) to test?

#28 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

That is not direct playing (even though that's what it says there).  That is transcoding. We need to figure out where in the fallback the app is getting hung up.  Can you set me up with access to your server (and this item) to test?

I will pm you

#29 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

My daughter reports that with emby roky beta 188, this issue with HEVC is now fixed.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Singapore user that this thread was initially for - to see what is the status for them. 

#30 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

So the Singapore user is reporting no difference with 'Legit' and a few other vid's.  I guess expected as this was not HECV anyway.

They have tried it on their 4g hotspot, and at other wifi locations they have access too.

I am having them post it over to me for testing here on my lan, and out at other sites local to me.

The problem has to be :

1 - The device itself

2 - This specific media file - but only on the Internet to Singapore (maybe latency/jitter related)

3 - Combination of the above

I seriously doubt it is the local wifi there as they can play other shows repeatedly ovr and over and back to this and it fails - plus tried other wifi houses.

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142291 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

We'd have to go over some examples. Thanks.

#32 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5766 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

@vaise

This might have something to do with it too, depending on their ISP.

https://en.wikipedia...tling#Singapore

image.png

Their location matters as much as yours when it comes to throttling. Their ISP may throttle other countries that connect to them harder as well. So Australia might not get throttle as much as an IP address that geolocates inside the United States.

If they are connecting to you through a VPN it might help mitigate some of that Singapore traffic shapping but VPN adds another bottleneck/lagpoint possible in the packet trail. It may not be this at the same time but all signs point to this... Especially your #2 comment above point to this being this problem. Finland is normally a good choice for your VPN country server to use to avoid traffic shaping annoyances. wink wink nudge nudge. France is a very bad choice as is anything in Canada or USA.  :)

This is a good start to read: https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs

Edited by speechles, 20 October 2019 - 07:46 PM.

#33 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

Hi @speechless

Thanks for your continued assistance.

I would doubt this is the case as you cant throttle only one a handful of media files, remember, this issue is ONLY affecting a small number of files and not the vast majority of them.

They can play a working one, then a non working one over and over and ONLY the non working one fails and every single time.

I have asked them to start collecting all media files this happens on - it is only a small number of the files they have tried to watch.

#34 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5766 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

How did they sign up to Roku.com to pair that Roku to an active account? With a VPN and a different country?

Which version of the Roku Emby app are they using? What Roku device do they have? What firmware version is on that device? 

It sounds like the refframe = 1 and resoultion = 720p issue on a Roku 3 (newer 2). This can hang that device but we have code to stop that in our capabilties.

But another scenario such as the above may be happening and knowing the exact model/firmware we can write code to work around it such as we did for the Roku 3 and the issue mentioned above. We have several hand-done fixes in this manner to work around edge-cases just like this for all the different fruit on the Roku tree.

There is just not enough information at the moment to start throwing around ideas quite yet. Almost enough. ^_^

Edited by speechles, 20 October 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#35 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

How did they sign up to Roku.com to pair that Roku to an active account? With a VPN and a different country?

*** This was purchased in the UK, and signed up in the UK.

Which version of the Roku Emby app are they using? What Roku device do they have? What firmware version is on that device? 

*** This is in the thread where we disussed all thins before.  I know you deal with tons of threads so cant be expected to remember them all.  Further, updated to latest 188 beta, streaming stick 4k (latest).  They also just a few days ago took the new 9.2 firmware - it also did not assist with the issue on the 'Legit' test video we have discussed in this thread (I sent the media info for you)

It sounds like the refframe = 1 and resoultion = 720p issue on a Roku 3 (newer 2). This can hang that device but we have code to stop that in our capabilties.

*** Scroll up for device, same as in the picture you added 

But another scenario such as the above may be happening and knowing the exact model/firmware we can write code to work around it such as we did for the Roku 3 and the issue mentioned above. We have several hand-done fixes in this manner to work around edge-cases just like this for all the different fruit on the Roku tree.

*** See above - 9.2 FW, 188 emby beta.

There is just not enough information at the moment to start throwing around ideas quite yet. Almost enough.  ^_^

*** I agree - this is a very strange one - I still believe there may be an issue with their streaming stick.  Hence it is coming here.  I have two of the exact same model so can compare.

#36 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16570 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

Did something in FW 9.2 change?

Edited by Happy2Play, 20 October 2019 - 08:32 PM.

#37 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

Did something in FW 9.2 change?

This issue was from before 9.2 FW - 9.2 FW did not fix anything - or make anything worse so far......

#38 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5766 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:06 PM

This issue was from before 9.2 FW - 9.2 FW did not fix anything - or make anything worse so far......

Well at least they kept the status quo. I was hoping for a little better though. Lets hope they aimed a little higher for the RokuTV 9.2 updates. They need to do better on those models.

streaming stick 4k (latest) ... is this the 3810x? I have that model :o ... Can I get invite to your server? OMG.. We might beat this after all...

Edited by speechles, 20 October 2019 - 10:07 PM.

#39 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:27 AM

Well at least they kept the status quo. I was hoping for a little better though. Lets hope they aimed a little higher for the RokuTV 9.2 updates. They need to do better on those models.

streaming stick 4k (latest) ... is this the 3810x? I have that model :o ... Can I get invite to your server? OMG.. We might beat this after all...

I will pm you

#40 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5766 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

I will pm you

Always a gentleman. Thank you sir. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users