39 replies to this topic

#1 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:04 AM

I have two remote users on roku, I have told both to get the beta app's like I use in the house.

They have both separately told me of issues with a few shows that say 'Loading...' either immediately, or after a period of time (less than a minute).  And keep getting 'stuck'.

This is repeatable on these shows, others shows are working fine.  Turns out there are a few others they are only now reporting (they fired up ipads/iphones to watch them in the past - hence bypassing their roku's0

There is a remux log for these failures.

The shows are 'Legit' from one user and 'Mayans' from another.  But I got the Mayans user to test Legit also - same issue for them.

But.... another remote user on a much older Roku2 device can play BOTH these shows fine (and they have the worst old ADSL internet)

Im just using these are tests at the moment.

I asked then to both try the playback correction and it did not help.

They both play fine on my shield and my roku.

Unfortunately, there were other users watching stuff and have been all day and the embyserver log is massive at 2.5GB and growing.  I cant open it.

One other thing - When I first heard about an issue with legit last night, I set it to convert in emby to 4Mbps and replace the file - which it did for all episodes.  Did not fix anything though.

One remote user has a super fats intenet (in singapore0 and one is local.  I have them run a speed test on my system and plenty of download speed.

The users are set to 6mbps limnit on my system.

I have the stats for nerds for both files sent also.

All remote Roku's are up to date on firmware.  They are set to use Stereo audio, tin emby they are set to 1080p-4Mbps quality (tried 6Mbps on the singapore one also - no diff).  That Convert AAC audio is set to NO on all.  

Anything else I can check ?

#2 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47472 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

Please be sure they are using the latest beta version (183) and see if this still occurs with that.

Thanks.

#3 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

They all installed the beta yesterday so I assume it installs the latest.

#4 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts
  • Local time: 07:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:22 PM

@vaise

Are those users in countries where they are geo-restricted by censoring (aka they are restricted to which parts of the world they can access)? Their ISP can/will/does geo-locate your IP those users are connecting to and can/will/does throttle streams and will eventually cut them with connection resets too. Alot of countries are slowing down video traffic when inside these regional censoring blocks. Are they using a VPN to connect to you? Depending on the VPN they can get around their ISP sniffing and detection routines and traffic shaping.

I am curious why it broke. We seriously made no changes to that part that handles playing video and playback recovery. There are changes set to be made there eventually but none are actually pushed into development yet. Does this happen with LiveTV too or just plain ordinary video files?

It might have to do with the capabilities change. There was a part that was changed that "might" cause it. @ebr do you think that change would cause this behavior?

Edited by speechles, 26 September 2019 - 10:26 PM.

#5 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:43 PM

Hi Speechles.

Nothing like that.  

One user is just up the road from me.

It has not 'just broke' - These are media files they have not played before. 

Both users can still play stuff they have played before and also lots of new stuff - they just came across these ones that dont play.

They can move onto other files and they play fine.

This seems to be related to the media format in some way I imagine and when done remotely ?  

I attached the display from each user of the stats for nerds in case there is something in that file type causing this.

When they have an issue like this on the roku - they use another method - iphone/ipad/Android TV or laptop.

Its not ideal as I recommended they both buy Roku's for remote access.

Cheers.

Edited by vaise, 26 September 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#6 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:58 PM

@vaise 

Does it ever start to play for them? Or does it just hang at the start?

I notice your ffmpeg logs are just showing it successfully creates the segments. This doesn't tell us how the Roku ingests them though. Just that your server isn't the issue here or your ffmpeg or anything you are doing. It has to be something in their Roku or the app.

What models of Roku are they using? What firmware version do they use?

I know you need to ask to get these answers. So when you are ready so are we. We can solve this if we know the root cause. Because it is copying the video stream and convert the audio to AAC. This should perform the same as any other video.

But the model of Roku and firmware on it obviously matters as you know an old Roku 2 still plays these  just fine. That is what we are fighting here likely. Something in that video perhaps the level, or profile, or something is causing the problem. The 9.2.x firmware is supposed to solve these problems. But obviously hasn't and Roku are just hoping they fix rather than knowing it fixes. Hope is a big motivator though. Hopefully they fix this and get all Roku models into some parity.

Please let me know what model of Roku they use and their firmware versions. I can then test internally myself and if I don't have those same models I can easily attain them. Thanks and please get back to us here. ^_~

If I have the exact model, and exact copies of your video files it has to be able to be reproduced. That is my bet. So please do not delete the problem files or convert them in any way either. Thanks again. Waiting on your reply. :)

BTW: I <3 that show Legit and Jim Jeffries when he isn't talking politics. That cast is good. No one is poor acting in that show. It feels very Aussie and all because of Jim and his habits. :)

Edited by speechles, 26 September 2019 - 11:26 PM.

#7 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:06 PM

Impossible to say as they only got the beta yesterday. They don’t work in the normal app. These users only got the beta yesterday.

#8 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

Impossible to say as they only got the beta yesterday. They don’t work in the normal app. These users only got the beta yesterday.

What Roku model do they have and the firmware version the users who cannot play the files? I want to reproduce to find if it is the level, profile, etc.. what it is about your video files causing the issue so we can know and work around that on those models. That is why I want to know the model so I can get the same exact model if I don't already have it. Then kindly ask you to share those same problem files with me. Then simulate being a remote users to my own server and replicate your environment as close as possible or even connect to your server to see the same thing with an invite. If I can see the same thing I can fix it. That is my hope. :)

Edited by speechles, 26 September 2019 - 11:49 PM.

#9 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

Just re-read your message Speechless - sorry - had ingrown toe surgery on both big toes and I am in a bit of a mess!!!!!.

One roku is like mine - a 4k streaming stick plus.

I have asked the other person, not heard back as yet. Just followed up with them again.

Edited by vaise, 27 September 2019 - 08:05 PM.

#10 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

The streaming stick plus (I have the 3810x so if this is consistently an issue we can solve this) is WiFi only. It is highly dependent on keeping sync with the access point as far as signal strength. That might be the issue is their WiFi dropped at that point. Once the WiFi comes back up it should continue. Maybe this is what is happening?

If the other person is also using WiFi to their Roku that could be the cause is the use of WiFi. I always am 1995 and running ethernet to everything mostly for security but also so WiFi congestion (neighbors, metal in walls, etc) isn't ever an issue. Are they using the WiFi extender that comes with the streaming stick? That WiFi extender has a large antenna booster in it and it also allows you to locate the Roku streaming stick away from the back of the TV a bit to reduce interference because of the extra length of that extender.

Edited by speechles, 27 September 2019 - 08:42 PM.

#11 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

The other model is Roku Express - 3900R.

I actually have the same model in my grandsons room here also.

So i can duplicate both devices - albeit on my local lan.

No wifi extenders etc - but read on......

Note - the vast number of other shows always work for these users, They have just found these specific ones do not - which to me sounds like it is NOT an intermittent wifi/comms issue, but relates to the media files themselves.  They both have backup devices to play stuff on, and they use their backup devices.  It just looks bad for the Roku Emby device, and looks bad on me as I said they should be Roku's - and these are very expensive here - not like in the US.

The roku express person just reported the same issue with toy story 4, yet it works here on the same model roku I have,  but on the LAN.

For a unskilled (compared to you) person like me, it seems like there are specific media formats (or some sort of modified audio) that dont play if you are on a wan connection.

I'm happy to create you a user speechless (via pm) and you can get on my system if it helps.

Cheers for the help as always.

Edited by vaise, 27 September 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#12 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

Further to the reply above - I have a bit more info which may or may not help......

I have another remote user that has a very old Roku 2 that i gave her.

She lives up the road and has the worst access to my system of anyone - 5Mbps down and <1 up (old ADSL).

I asked her to play Legit and she played it fine.

She has also never complained about any show she has tried to watch - but she does not watch as much as others.

Also, all emby profiles are created exactly the same on my server - except the home LAN based ones that have more stuff (testing, 4k etc).

Ideally, I would give the person who is having issues one of my other Roku 2's to use at her house - and it is works there, then it is model related. 

That is a possibility to do but not for a few days.

#13 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

Re Toy Story, the user says this :

'Same issue as toy story 4 just sitting idle on the retrieving screen. Can't do anything it's like the whole app freezes and I have to exit emby all together'.

The transcode log for that is attached.

However, I am making some progress for this user on the other shows they complained about - they can play 'Legit' now, plus the others they complained about (Big Little Lies.

What I did was change the global speed for remote connections to 6 from 4.

I also changed this specific user setting to 7mbps.

I also told them to change from hardcoded 'Stereo' on the roku AUDIO settings to AUTO.

And I said to change the Emby 'Quality' to 1080p-6Mbps

I noticed that by playing around on my own roku from the same settings as them ($Mbps across the board)  that I could change the shows to 'direct play' in this way.

The other user is not replying to my emails as yet but I hope to post positive news on them also.

Ignore Toy Story - The user had for some reason their roku detecting 720p instead of 1080p for their video type, hence it was transcoding - which in itself should have been fine but was not.  Once changed to 1080P, that is not playing fine and direct playing.  Their faulty mayans episode I got a new 720P one, which is still transcoding as it says video codec not supported, but that s expected.  

I am now moving focus back to 'Legit'....... 

Attached Files

Edited by vaise, 28 September 2019 - 02:57 AM.

#14 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:14 AM

I would ask them to try lowering the in-app quality setting.

#15 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:02 AM

I asked them to drop to 1Mbps and play game of thrones which is another they say does not work.

It loaded, then played a second, then retrieving, logs attached.

Note - they can play ANYTHING on their laptop. ipad and iphones.

Attached Files

#16 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

Can you have them try something like an mp4 that will direct play without transcoding? Thanks.

#17 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

HEVC x265 10bit Video / 2000 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / Main 10 Profile 4","VideoRange":"SDR"

I see why it gets stuck copying this. The Roku hates, Hates, HATES! I mean really does not like at all 10bit SDR. 

It does not like HEVC with 10bit SDR. Not with a set top box.

It only likes HEVC with 10bit SDR when it is on a RokuTV.

like = direct play / direct stream / copy video

I don't know how to construct to put in the profile a restriction for the video range. This is what needs to be crafted to our present profile.

@Luke 10bit sdr in hevc is not supported on some Roku models and Roku doesn't give us a way to detect this. I know on the Roku streaming stick+ and Roku ultra these both hang the player. But the RokuTV lets these play. It is the fact these are HEVC using 10bit with SDR instead  of HDR. The set top boxes cannot play these. The RokuTV models can.

Edited by speechles, 28 September 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#18 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

Can you have them try something like an mp4 that will direct play without transcoding? Thanks.

Lots do play with no issues.  Do you want a list ?

They have had the roku for over a month and only recently started reporting some shows.

#19 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

HEVC x265 10bit Video / 2000 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / Main 10 Profile 4","VideoRange":"SDR"

I see why it gets stuck copying this. The Roku hates, Hates, HATES! I mean really does not like at all 10bit SDR. 

It does not like HEVC with 10bit SDR. Not with a set top box.

It only likes HEVC with 10bit SDR when it is on a RokuTV.

like = direct play / direct stream / copy video

I don't know how to construct to put in the profile a restriction for the video range. This is what needs to be crafted to our present profile.

@Luke 10bit sdr in hevc is not supported on some Roku models and Roku doesn't give us a way to detect this. I know on the Roku streaming stick+ and Roku ultra these both hang the player. But the RokuTV lets these play. It is the fact these are HEVC using 10bit with SDR instead  of HDR. The set top boxes cannot play these. The RokuTV models can.

Hi speechless.

I found a batch file that used mediainfo to give me a list of all media that had atmos sound.

I can probably modify it for HEVC to see how bad the issue is in my media.

I am going to re-do all Game of Thrones

So can ignore these.

They specifically are trying to watch :

Legit (which is working on the other users Roku Express so may be an issue with the streaming stick as you say (but works on MY streaming stick here)

Cold Feet

I have attached the media info for these below - what should I look for in those files ?

5d8fe84a81453_Legit.jpg

5d8fe8612bf8d_coldfeet.jpg

#20 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

Have you made sure the Roku firmware is up to date?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users