Pi B 3 Subtitles (ASS and PGSSUB)

micdhack

I was wondering if any Pi users (v3 or even v4) had success with PGSSUB and ASS. I can get PGSSUB to work on Android but not on Chrome or Roku. ASS instead works on Roku but does not Chrome or Android. I have tried with hardware decoding and non as well as extracting on the fly and not.

Has anyone had success in getting these to work on Roku and or Chrome and with what settings what Pi? I have been considering if the problem is speed and I should update to Pi4

Chrome or Roku

These platforms don't support PGS and therefore the subtitles have to be burned in with server transcoding. It's possible the Pi is just not fast enough for this.

These platforms don't support PGS and therefore the subtitles have to be burned in with server transcoding. It's possible the Pi is just not fast enough for this.

That is the part that I am not so sure about. When I set the subtitle extraction to disabled, which from my understanding it means that subtitles will be burned in the video, the transcoding position is always ahead of the playback position. Isn't that a good thing that in theory it means that Pi is fast?

We'd have to look at an example. But burning in subtitles is a very costly process, even for powerful machines, which RPI is not.

Here is an example file that won't play the subtitles on chrome, under extract or otherwise. Just to make sure I understand, when extract is selected, are subtitles converted to srt or just extracted?

https://file.io/l0KB50

Edited by micdhack

Thank you for your help. I managed to get it to start transcoding but it looks like that even though hardware acceleration is on it still used software for transcoding. I have started compiling ffmpeg from source to config it to use openmax (https://github.com/legotheboss/YouTube-files/wiki/(RPi)-Compile-FFmpeg-with-the-OpenMAX-H.264-GPU-acceleration). Where can I edit the systemctl configuration that starts the emby server in order to tell it use the new ffmpeg version (I want to avoid using make install if possible).

post-392051-0-90894300-1569804808_thumb.png