Add Trailer Option Back to FireTV

udiggity

Now that Google and Amazon are playing nice again and they've added the YouTube app back to Fire devices, can we get the trailer option added back to the FireTV emby app?  Would make my life so much better as my wife constantly nags me that she can't watch a trailer to see what the movie is about lol.  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Trailers work on those platforms.  The issue is specifically with YouTube content.

On the Fire, the YouTube app does not respond to the published protocols for being invoked to play something.

On the Roku, I don't believe this will ever be possible because the Roku OS is not multi-tasking like most others.  So, if we invoke the YouTube app on it, you completely lose where you were in ours (it is shut down by the system).  This makes for a very poor user experience.

Dan96max

I was able to download trailers with media companion which worked Ok and the trailers play on fire tv. My only issue is that the file names within the directory have to match exact. So movie123.mkv and then movie123-trailer.mkv this works but the movie file names can change and then the trailers stop working. Would it be possible for emby to use any file in the directory that has -trailer in it as the trailer? So in the folder movie123 it could be movie123.mkv and then movie-trailer.mkv.

Right now I have to pull a file list for the whole library and try to Manually look through it to find names that don’t match.

Does that make sense?

I was able to download trailers with media companion which worked Ok and the trailers play on fire tv. My only issue is that the file names within the directory have to match exact. So movie123.mkv and then movie123-trailer.mkv this works but the movie file names can change and then the trailers stop working. Would it be possible for emby to use any file in the directory that has -trailer in it as the trailer? So in the folder movie123 it could be movie123.mkv and then movie-trailer.mkv.

Right now I have to pull a file list for the whole library and try to Manually look through it to find names that don’t match.

Does that make sense?

Hi.  If you already have your movies in their own folder just put your trailers in a "Trailers" sub folder and they can be named whatever you want.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Trailers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dan96max

Hi.  If you already have your movies in their own folder just put your trailers in a "Trailers" sub folder and they can be named whatever you want.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Trailers

Media companion is the only thing I've found that can automatically download trailers but it isn't capable of adding them into a sub directory. So it still remains a very time consuming process to create sub directories for each new movie and manually move trailer files OR to use media companion and try to maintain the file names manually.  

Using trailer files in emby that end with -trailer regardless of the movies file name would eliminate the issue. It would be a full work around for having local trailers on fire devices with out a ton of extra work.   %-trailer or  %-trailer%    

It's become a chore though.  We've gone back to using plex for movies because the trailers stream no problem on firetv.  emby for tv and plex for movies.   Would love to just use emby for everything. 

• 5 months later...
gnollo

Any changes in the last six months? I would really like to be able to view trailers on the system. Might have to put the HTPC back just to be able to do that.

Dan96max
13 hours ago, gnollo said:

Any changes in the last six months? I would really like to be able to view trailers on the system. Might have to put the HTPC back just to be able to do that.

I noticed a few months back that local trailers started working regardless of file name.  So anything in the movies directory that has -trailer will work no matter what the rest of the file name is. Basically what I described previously of having something like %-trailer or  %-trailer%.   So maybe a dev saw my post and changed it?   Not sure but the headache of trying to keep the file names of trailers in sync is gone. Hopefully that doesn't change because it has been working great for the last few months. 

Not an automatic thing like Plex on firetv that streams the trailers automatically but if you have or are willing to have local trailers and each movie is in it's own folder then it will work well. 

gnollo
I noticed a few months back that local trailers started working regardless of file name.  So anything in the movies directory that has -trailer will work no matter what the rest of the file name is. Basically what I described previously of having something like %-trailer or  %-trailer%.   So maybe a dev saw my post and changed it?   Not sure but the headache of trying to keep the file names of trailers in sync is gone. Hopefully that doesn't change because it has been working great for the last few months. 
Not an automatic thing like Plex on firetv that streams the trailers automatically but if you have or are willing to have local trailers and each movie is in it's own folder then it will work well. 
Thank you. Have never used media companion, can you recommend a walkthrough?
Did you find a way to save the trailers automatically in a \trailer subfolder?
My movies are all saved in their own folders, I use MCM to create movie.xml and .nfo files for each movie, with imdb and tmd ids saved locally, would the program be able to use them to identify each movie and download the correct trailer?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NeilD7744

Morning,

As a work around (and as mentioned above) i use "media center master" to download trailers locally. These are automatically downloaded when a movie is added to my library. Works well & tbh seems to work better than when Emby used to find YouTube trailers - I can set media center master to download trailers in HD etc.

Thanks.

gnollo
On 7/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, NeilD7744 said:

Morning,

As a work around (and as mentioned above) i use "media center master" to download trailers locally. These are automatically downloaded when a movie is added to my library. Works well & tbh seems to work better than when Emby used to find YouTube trailers - I can set media center master to download trailers in HD etc.

Thanks.

Thank you, that is interesting. I have always used MCM for metadata, actors images etc for all my movies, was not aware of the trailer feature. I guess as my folders already have a movie.xml it should already know what movie I need the trailer for?

I have the free version currently, so I would have to pay $60 for the full version. Does it allow you to save the trailer directly in a /trailers/ subfolder in each of the movie folders?

The beta version of the app has the ability to play YT trailers again.

• Like 1

NeilD7744
3 hours ago, gnollo said:

Thank you, that is interesting. I have always used MCM for metadata, actors images etc for all my movies, was not aware of the trailer feature. I guess as my folders already have a movie.xml it should already know what movie I need the trailer for?

I have the free version currently, so I would have to pay $60 for the full version. Does it allow you to save the trailer directly in a /trailers/ subfolder in each of the movie folders?

Yes it does. I've used MCM for years so i could get metadata for my movies & TV shows in other HTPC software. When i switched over to Emby & the trailers stopped loading up from YouTube, i setup MCM to auto scan my library every 12hrs and download any missing trailers. Seems to work ok. 

gnollo
16 hours ago, ebr said:

The beta version of the app has the ability to play YT trailers again.

Great stuff! I have 2 FireTV HD and an Apple TV, happy to test on both, how do I get the beta version of the app?

6 hours ago, gnollo said:

and an Apple TV

Hi.  This topic is related to Fire TV, not Apple TV.  

gnollo

Had to stop the beta version only once (black screen), and restart it, otherwise trailers work fine for all the titles I tried. No complaints from me