25 replies to this topic

#21 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46989 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 AM

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:33 AM

1.  The delete should be very quick if not nearly instant . It is not.  It very often takes 4-5 seconds

Deleting something in Emby can involve a lot of file i/o (there could actually be a number of files and folders in multiple places that need deleting) and may also involve file system operations like recycle bins and all of this may be happening over a network connection - plus then there are Emby database and other operations that need to occur.  So, it isn't always going to be an "instant" operation.

#22 rykr OFFLINE  

rykr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 AM

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

Deleting something in Emby can involve a lot of file i/o (there could actually be a number of files and folders in multiple places that need deleting) and may also involve file system operations like recycle bins and all of this may be happening over a network connection - plus then there are Emby database and other operations that need to occur.  So, it isn't always going to be an "instant" operation.

I don't mean this to be a Plex vs Emby thread.  As I've said in the past I want Emby to succeed however I'm constantly comparing the two.  I have both running in their own docker containers pointing at the same volumes (on Ubuntu 18.10).  So if I record in Emby then Plex also picks it up in the DVR library and vice versa.  I can tell you that deleting DVR recordings in Emby is always *significantly* slower than Plex.  Plex is pretty close to instant.  1-2 seconds max and the UI nearly always updates properly.  Wherewas Emby takes at least 5 seconds to delete and very often doesn't update properly.  I've actually started going into plex to do recordings deletion because it will work better.

Again, I want Emby to succeed but the argument that there are file operations that take time doesnt' hold when a competitor has to do the same operations and does it quickly and correctly.   Btw, Plex also deletes the enclosing folder when the last item is deleted (leaving the folder empty).  Something I requested with Emby long ago.

#23 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46989 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 AM

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

I cannot reproduce that [the screen not updating after delete] in the Android TV app.  The screen is always updated for me.

Can you explain an exact scenario where this happens to you in the Android TV app?

Thanks.

#24 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15726 posts
  • Local time: 02:41 AM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

Don't believe the same app and location is being discussed here.  

@rykr are all your issues in the web client?

#25 rykr OFFLINE  

rykr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 AM

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:25 PM

Don't believe the same app and location is being discussed here.  

@rykr are all your issues in the web client?

No. I just went upstairs and did some tests on my shield.  Here is what I saw.

Long pressing on an item in the live tv -> recordings page does *not* include a delete option.  I have to click on an item and look at the page for that episode. I then choose the delete button.  Clicking it I get the message immediately that it is taking longer than expected.  After about 5 seconds or so it is deleted and I'm taken back out to the live tv -> recordings view as expected.  This works ok except for the weird dialog I've already mentioned.

Going into the recordings (dvr) library things are different.  Long press on an item in there and a delete option *is* include.  Choosing that delete option again shows me the "slow" dialog instantly.  this time the delete is very fast (< 1 sec).  But the screen does not refresh.  The item I just deleted is still there.  I have to go back out and back in to see that it's actually gone.

#26 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1044 posts
  • Local time: 07:41 PM

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:12 PM

Okay, so the app is giving you visual feedback that something is happening.

That dialog disappears and the item deletes and disappears from the interface, correct?

Why are you guys thinking that is a problem...?

As per post 17, it does not bother me ...... I was just saying I get it too to the op. But no bother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users