Audio Channel Selection - Not doing Anything on Fire TV

lharris

Emby Devs,

I have a weird issue, I have some MKV's that have two English Audio channels, one is a mono channel and is set as default, the second is commentary and is stereo.    When watching these files on the web interface there are zero issues and everything works correctly.   The audio starts with the default channel as it should and you can use the note icon in the web interface to switch audio channels.   

On the Fire TV the episode direct streams, but starts with the commentary channel and when you attempt to change it on the Fire stick, all the UI elements are there, but they have no effect and act as if I did nothing.  It doesn't change the audio during playback using the speaker icon or via prior to start of playback by using the little drop down in the episode summary.   

For troubleshooting I've either done the following:

• I've watched via the web interface under the same user account and I selected the default channel even though it was already correct, I switch off then back on.  I stopped playback and attempted to watch on the firestick and found the selected audio track was not remembered.
  • At the episode summary screen I set the audio track to the non-default, then switched back to default before playing the episode.  No Change.
  • I re-muxed the MKV with no changes, just to see if it was a weird MKV.  <- No change in behavior
  • I re-muxed again with the SubStationAlpha subtitles removed  <- No change in behavior
  • I re-muxed to MP4  using this command ffmpeg -i "<input file>" -map 0:a? -map 0:s? -map 0:v? -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy "<output file>"  <- This command essentialy grabs all tracks and copies them.  SubStationAlpha subtitles are not supported in MP4's so I re-muxed using the MKV that had them removed as the source.  <- Also no change in behavior.
  • I searched around and didn't find much,  Found this link here, but it didn't seem to match up perfectly with my issue:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69483-audio-channel-selection-has-real-no-option/?hl=%2Baudio+%2Bchannel

Logs attached, I started messing with this after midnight.  There might be some other random traffic in there as my wife was watching something on another fire stick at one point.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   I can also provide sample files if it would be helpful. I have a bunch of them, the two I was testing with tonight are 30MB and 67MB so it should be to difficult to make them available.

See photo's below:  

Track Information:

5d85c0b1a1394_TrackListing.jpg

UI Elements where audio selection makes no difference or is ignored:

Photo taken of TV running Emby for Fire TV Stick 

5d85c57ebfe73_UIElements.png

Thanks!

Edited by lharris

Hi there, can you please copy and paste the media info for this title from the bottom of the web app detail screen? Thanks !

Please see below.  Also, it's not a typo or a mistake, both audio sections are identical in the Media Info section.   Thanks!

Media Info

Video
Title 480p HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main
Level 90
Resolution 720x480
Aspect ratio 4:3
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 607 kbps
Color primaries smpte170m
Color space smpte170m
Color transfer bt709
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 1

Audio
Title English AAC stereo (Default)
Language English
Codec AAC
Profile HE-AAC
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 192 kbps
Sample rate 48,000 Hz
Default Yes

Subtitle
Title English (DVDSUB)
Language English
Codec DVDSUB
Default No
Forced No
External No

Subtitle
TitleEnglish (ASS)
Language English
Codec ASS
Default No
Forced No
External No

Audio
Title English AAC stereo
Language English
Codec AAC
Profile HE-AAC
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 192 kbps
Sample rate 48,000 Hz
Default No

Subtitle
Title English (DVDSUB)
Language English
Codec DVDSUB
Default No
Forced No
External No

Subtitle
Titl eEnglish (ASS)
Language English
Codec ASS
Default No
Forced No
External No

Container mkv
Edited by lharris

Okay,  I think the issue here is going to come down to the fact that the two tracks are both marked as stereo (2-channel).  Are you sure one of them is actually mono?

Okay,  I think the issue here is going to come down to the fact that the two tracks are both marked as stereo (2-channel).  Are you sure one of them is actually mono?

Your assumption is correct.  I extracted the tracks using gMKVExtractGUI and dragged both .aac files into Audacity and both are stereo.   To double check I also dragged the "mono" track into VLC and under Tools -> Codec Information, it says stereo.   So my assumption at this point is a wonky audio track.   All of the MKV's with commentary are behaving this way, soooo yay..............................

So as a test I re-encoded the track:

ffmpeg -i "<input>.aac.org" -c:a aac -q:a 10 "<output>.aac"  

I then re-muxed the MKV, dis-selecting the original track 2 and adding in the re-encoded file as track 2.   I gave it a test in Emby for Fire TV and it seems to be working correctly now!  It starts with the correct track and you can now switch between them.  Not sure what exactly the problem is, but the Fire TV client definitely doesn't like Track 2 and seems to disregard it without really making that apparent to the user... though I don't have any good ideas about how to make the user understand that.

5d88487c5a4d2_Remux.png

Anyway it sounds like I'll have a heck of a job going through and cleaning up the audio in each one that has commentary.  Let me know if you would like a sample to perhaps make the client a little more robust in dealing with wonky audio tracks.

Thanks!

Edited by lharris

Don't embark on a large task of conversion.  This isn't really your problem it is a problem in the app related to it not being able to tell the difference between the two of them since they have the exact same parameters (that the app is currently looking at).

Thanks for the samples.

It turns out the main audio track IS mono but Emby is reporting it as stereo.  I don't know if that is a problem in ffprobe or our limitation but, if we could fix that, then the switching would work.  @@softworkz?

Interestingly, the sample rate is also incorrect.  It is 24k but we report as 48.

The next release of the app will fudge some things to make the track selection on your particular items here work.

• 4 months later...