Emby Media Clean - Delete Watched Video

jpc82

Michael Poulsen

I know why, the module error is because you use version 3.6 and this error is not included in 3.5.3. can someone rewrite for python 3 5 3?

• 3 weeks later...
Crowley_00

The latest version stopped deleting files, I'm getting this in the log

:*[DELETE] -   Movie - 
:[KEEPING] - Episode - 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\apps\embycleaner\media_cleaner.py", line 436, in <module>
    deleteItems=get_items(cfg.server_url, cfg.user_key, cfg.access_token)
  File "C:\apps\embycleaner\media_cleaner.py", line 224, in get_items
    (cut_off_date_episode > parse(item['UserData']['LastPlayedDate'])) and

Edit: I got it to work again, reinstalled some stuff, not sure what did it. One thing I did notice, the first time when creating a config (Windows, cmd) cmd can't be run as admin, it will fail. After the config is created it does not seem to matter.
Edited by Crowley_00

excactly what i have been looking for, but it trows me this error in debian stretch (openmediavault)

i have both python 2.7 ant python 3 an have tried running with python3 command (Anyone that can help me)

File "./media_cleaner.py", line 154, in <module>
    import media_cleaner_config as cfg
ImportError: No module named 'media_cleaner_config'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "./media_cleaner.py", line 162, in <module>
    except (AttributeError, ModuleNotFoundError):
NameError: name 'ModuleNotFoundError' is not defined

Hey, I have the same error with python 3.5.3

I have not yet been able to figure out a way to get this working with python 3.5.  This bug looks like it is specific to 3.5 and earlier and at the moment I only have a machines with 3.6+.  Sorry, I haven't had too much time to work on this with other commitments, but I will try to get it working once I have time.

As a work around can you try creating an empty file called "media_cleaner_config.py".  It should then at least get past the import and then prompt you to create the config file automatically.

• Like 1

Michael Poulsen

I have not yet been able to figure out a way to get this working with python 3.5.  This bug looks like it is specific to 3.5 and earlier and at the moment I only have a machines with 3.6+.  Sorry, I haven't had too much time to work on this with other commitments, but I will try to get it working once I have time.

As a work around can you try creating an empty file called "media_cleaner_config.py".  It should then at least get past the import and then prompt you to create the config file automatically.

Almost worked, but get this error now

File "./media_cleaner.py", line 435, in <module>
  File "./media_cleaner.py", line 196, in get_items
    data = json.loads(source)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/json/__init__.py", line 312, in loads
    s.__class__.__name__))
TypeError: the JSON object must be str, not 'bytes'

Thanks for your efforts on this glaring omission within Emby.

With the latest Python (v3.8.1) installed I get the following...

File "D:\Kurosh\Downloads\media_cleaner-master\media_cleaner.py", line 8, in <
module>
    from dateutil.parser import parse
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'dateutil'

nojstevens

Hello, this script is exactly what im lookin for. I almost have it working but im getting the following error

I have Python 3.7.5 on Ubuntu 18.0.4. Emby is dockerized

Any ideas? I've tried to replace apt_pkg

thank you

Jon

-----------------------------------------------------------

Get List Of Watched Media

:[KEEPING] - Episode - My Mad Fat Diary - Voodoo - Watched 50 days ago - Favorite: False - EpisodeID: 10600

:[KEEPING] - Episode - The Little Drummer Girl - Episode 3 - Watched 44 days ago - Favorite: True - EpisodeID: 1657

:[KEEPING] -   Movie - 3 Women - Watched 48 days ago - Favorite: False - MovieID: 57

File "./media-cleaner.py", line 436, in <module>

File "./media-cleaner.py", line 224, in get_items

KeyError: 'LastPlayedDate'

Error in sys.excepthook:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 63, in apport_excepthook

from apport.fileutils import likely_packaged, get_recent_crashes

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>

from apport.report import Report

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/report.py", line 30, in <module>

import apport.fileutils

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/fileutils.py", line 23, in <module>

from apport.packaging_impl import impl as packaging

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/packaging_impl.py", line 24, in <module>

import apt

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>

import apt_pkg

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'apt_pkg'

Original exception was:

Edited by nojstevens

Kurosh

Thanks, got it all working by pip install python-dateutil (and uninstalling Python 2).

Something isn't right though as I when doing the dry run it says it's going to DELETE episodes which it should ignore as they're favourited. I've checked everything I can think of. I've logged into Emby as the user the script is set to track and marked WHOLE SERIES as favourites, which do appear in the Emby GUI under favourites. However the script (with the config below) states it will delete some (but strangely not all) episodes within various series. According to Emby the WHOLE SERIES (and all episodes within it) are favourited however when the script looks this up, it gets a mixed result as to which episodes are favourites as in the log it says "Favorite: False" when AFAIK it should be TRUE.

not_played_age_movie=-1
not_played_age_episode=7
not_played_age_video=-1
not_played_age_trailer=7
remove_files=0
ignore_favorites_movie=1
ignore_favorites_episode=1
ignore_favorites_video=1
ignore_favorites_trailer=1

Manually setting the targeted episode individually as a favourite (instead of just the parent series) does appear to resolve this problem as then in the log it reverts to KEEPING and "Favorite: True" but it would be unfeasible to individually set each episode I didn't want it to delete and maintain that. Am I doing something wrong? It ignores movies (as desired) and most but not all required TV episodes which is my main use case.

Edited by Kurosh

nojstevens

I have emby running in a docker but I am trying to run this on the host ubuntu and i am getting the error

File "./media_cleaner.py", line 436, in <module>

Could this be because the path to my media for Ubuntu is not the same path that Emby sees?

If not, i am thinking this script is not useable with Emby docker as i can't run it inside the docker and outside the media paths will not be the same.

Am i on the right track here? Can anyone think how i might be able to use this script with my setup

Thanks

Jon

Edited by nojstevens

Thuzad

Hello, this script is exactly what im lookin for. I almost have it working but im getting the following error

I have Python 3.7.5 on Ubuntu 18.0.4. Emby is dockerized

Any ideas? I've tried to replace apt_pkg

thank you

Jon

:[KEEPING] - Episode - My Mad Fat Diary - Voodoo - Watched 50 days ago - Favorite: False - EpisodeID: 10600

:[KEEPING] - Episode - The Little Drummer Girl - Episode 3 - Watched 44 days ago - Favorite: True - EpisodeID: 1657

:[KEEPING] -   Movie - 3 Women - Watched 48 days ago - Favorite: False - MovieID: 57

Error in sys.excepthook:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 63, in apport_excepthook

from apport.fileutils import likely_packaged, get_recent_crashes

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>

from apport.report import Report

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/report.py", line 30, in <module>

import apport.fileutils

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/fileutils.py", line 23, in <module>

from apport.packaging_impl import impl as packaging

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/packaging_impl.py", line 24, in <module>

import apt

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>

import apt_pkg

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'apt_pkg'

Original exception was:

I've analyzed the problem a bit and it seems to come from the fact that the API doesn't give the "LastPlayedDate" parameter. I don't know why Emby didn't save this parameter.

post-259220-0-48603900-1578357669_thumb.png

Edited by Floflobel

I've analyzed the problem a bit and it seems to come from the fact that the API doesn't give the "LastPlayedDate" parameter. I don't know why Emby didn't save this parameter.

attachicon.gifemby.png

Yes that is right.  I had not seen that before where the LastPlayedDate value is not there but the play count is 1.  I will add some logic to ignore those since I won't be able to detect if it is past the cutoff.

I have emby running in a docker but I am trying to run this on the host ubuntu and i am getting the error

Could this be because the path to my media for Ubuntu is not the same path that Emby sees?

If not, i am thinking this script is not useable with Emby docker as i can't run it inside the docker and outside the media paths will not be the same.

Am i on the right track here? Can anyone think how i might be able to use this script with my setup

Thanks

Jon

Is there any more to the error your getting?

I run Emby in docker and am able to get it to delete fine.  One thing though, do you have docker setup with read and write permissions to the folder or read only?

Thanks, got it all working by pip install python-dateutil (and uninstalling Python 2).

Something isn't right though as I when doing the dry run it says it's going to DELETE episodes which it should ignore as they're favourited. I've checked everything I can think of. I've logged into Emby as the user the script is set to track and marked WHOLE SERIES as favourites, which do appear in the Emby GUI under favourites. However the script (with the config below) states it will delete some (but strangely not all) episodes within various series. According to Emby the WHOLE SERIES (and all episodes within it) are favourited however when the script looks this up, it gets a mixed result as to which episodes are favourites as in the log it says "Favorite: False" when AFAIK it should be TRUE.

not_played_age_movie=-1

not_played_age_episode=7

not_played_age_video=-1

not_played_age_trailer=7

remove_files=0

ignore_favorites_movie=1

ignore_favorites_episode=1

ignore_favorites_video=1

ignore_favorites_trailer=1

Manually setting the targeted episode individually as a favourite (instead of just the parent series) does appear to resolve this problem as then in the log it reverts to KEEPING and "Favorite: True" but it would be unfeasible to individually set each episode I didn't want it to delete and maintain that. Am I doing something wrong? It ignores movies (as desired) and most but not all required TV episodes which is my main use case.

Does the output as it is going through all the episodes show that the episode is a favorite or not when displaying the items?

nojstevens

Is there any more to the error your getting?

I run Emby in docker and am able to get it to delete fine.  One thing though, do you have docker setup with read and write permissions to the folder or read only?

Sorry, yes there was some more, here it is attached. The docker also has rw permssions to the share with my Movies and TV

Thank you for looking at this

Jon

:[KEEPING] - Episode - My Mad Fat Diary - Voodoo - Watched 53 days ago - Favorite: False - EpisodeID: 10600

:[KEEPING] - Episode - The Little Drummer Girl - Episode 3 - Watched 47 days ago - Favorite: True - EpisodeID: 1657

:[KEEPING] -   Movie - 3 Women - Watched 50 days ago - Favorite: False - MovieID: 57

:[KEEPING] -   Movie - The Inbetweeners Movie - Watched <1 day ago - Favorite: False - MovieID: 318445

File "./media_cleaner.py", line 224, in get_items

Edited by nojstevens

Sorry, yes there was some more, here it is attached. The docker also has rw permssions to the share with my Movies and TV

Thank you for looking at this

Jon

:[KEEPING] - Episode - My Mad Fat Diary - Voodoo - Watched 53 days ago - Favorite: False - EpisodeID: 10600

:[KEEPING] - Episode - The Little Drummer Girl - Episode 3 - Watched 47 days ago - Favorite: True - EpisodeID: 1657

:[KEEPING] -   Movie - 3 Women - Watched 50 days ago - Favorite: False - MovieID: 57

:[KEEPING] -   Movie - The Inbetweeners Movie - Watched <1 day ago - Favorite: False - MovieID: 318445

File "./media_cleaner.py", line 224, in get_items

Looks like you are having the same issue as the other person.  The item is marked as having been played, but for some reason the LastPlayedDate value is not set.  So when i try to query that value it causes it to fail.  I had not seen that before so hadn't accounted for that. 

I will try to push an update that fixes that as soon as I can.

nojstevens

I watch via MrMC using the Emby plugin - maybe that is why it is not recoring LastPlayedDate? it was last played in another media player, but using Emby as the server.?

Jon

Kurosh

Does the output as it is going through all the episodes show that the episode is a favorite or not when displaying the items?

It shows that it's not a favorite (favorite: false) when in fact it is a favourite in the Emby UI. It does this for many episodes within a series. Only fix I've found is to manually go to the episodes shown in the script output and individually mark those episodes as favorites. According to the script (not the Emby UI) those specific episodes don't inherit the favorites tag when I marked the whole series.

Edited by Kurosh

• 1 month later...
Kurosh

It shows that it's not a favorite (favorite: false) when in fact it is a favourite in the Emby UI. It does this for many episodes within a series. Only fix I've found is to manually go to the episodes shown in the script output and individually mark those episodes as favorites. According to the script (not the Emby UI) those specific episodes don't inherit the favorites tag when I marked the whole series.

Hello,

Any response to this? If within the Emby UI I go to the top level an entire TV show and mark / tick that as a favourite, it doesn't show that each and every episode within that TV show is a favourite, hence in the output of your python script it says each particular episode is "favorite: false". As mentioned, only way I've found around this (which isn't fool proof as you'd have to remember to do it for each and every new episode you want to ignore) is to manually mark each episode as a favourite.

Edited by Kurosh

Kurosh

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Hi Luke,

Any idea why if within the Emby UI I go to the top level an entire TV show and mark / tick that as a favourite, it doesn't show that each and every episode within that TV show is a favourite? This is causing issues with this script which is looking at the "episode level" of whether something is a favourite or not instead of the "TV Show level".

Not sure if this is intentional (therefore the script should be changed to look at the TV show level) or is an Emby bug?

Edited by Kurosh

Slugger

I can tell you emby does distinguish between a series being a favourite and episodes being favourites.  A series being a fav does not mark all episodes of that series as favs.  I ran into this when developing my similar tool and had to add an extra option to allow filtering by series fav as well.  With my tool, you can use the --ignore-fav-series option to prevent deleting any episodes where the series is marked as a fav regardless of whether or not the episodes themselves are marked as favs.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
MagnusL3D
  File "media_cleaner.py", line 594, in <module>
    test=cfg.DEBUG
AttributeError: module 'media_cleaner_config' has no attribute 'DEBUG'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "media_cleaner.py", line 725, in <module>
    generate_config()
  File "media_cleaner.py", line 184, in generate_config
    os.chdir(script_dir)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''

Getting this error on python 3.8.2 

• 8 months later...
hieroglyph

Update: @jpc82 has mentioned here and on github they may have other commitments not allowing them to follow this as closely as they may want to. For a while I was helping where I could by pushing updates based on @jpc82's original script to clara-j / media_cleaner . @jpc82 let me know if/when you come back and we can merge the updates from my fork into your original repo. Several updates have been made since you last merged my changes.

@MagnusL3D  Were you able to get this to working? If not, try using the repo below. I have been running this with Python3.8 at least since 2021-May.

@Kurosh @Slugger The script should now handle favorites correctly when the favorite is a parent item, e.g. a TV series, then all children below it, e.g. seasons and episodes, will be preserved. See repo below.

@nojstevens The script should now handle when the LastPlayedDate is missing. Instead of crashing, it should now print the output for that item with the "Watched X days ago" data omitted. See repo below.

Updated Repo: terrelsa13 / media_cleaner

Edited by hieroglyph