What are some things (router/isp) to look for when unable to connect remotely?

phi303

So... on the server end everything is fine. I can access locally and I can also access remotely; I can access remotely from work, I can access remotely via wireless network. 

Up until a couple days ago everything was fine but suddenly a select few of my family cannot seem to access my server remotely on their network. Most of them aren't tech-savvy enough to change anything on their network so it's got to be some sort of update or something that got pushed out. They all can access the server via wireless data if they turn off their wifi which obviously narrows it down to their home network.

So what could have changed? Has anyone heard of anything being pushed out from various ISPs?

I've sort of narrowed it down to anyone with a rental router/modem combo (provided by the ISP); people with their own seem to be ok (not 100% sure about that but I think it may be the case).

What can I do to help them fix this? Do they need certain ports to be open on their end? Is there something I should check and change in their router settings?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I didn't know where else to post. Thanks ahead for looking!

Are you all using Emby connect?

no, I'm the only user that uses emby connect. all my uncles and cousins use my noip dns address. I've also tried having them input my IP directly with no avail. 

it's the weirdest thing because if they try connecting with their wifi turned off everything is hunkydoory

Guest asrequested

no, I'm the only user that uses emby connect. all my uncles and cousins use my noip dns address. I've also tried having them input my IP directly with no avail.

it's the weirdest thing because if they try connecting with their wifi turned off everything is hunkydoory

Does Emby connect also not work for them?

So you mean it's fine for them over mobile data?

correct, mobile data is fine for the troubled users, everyone else is fine. I can connect fine on my work's internet too. 

Maybe their home isp is blocking something?

that' what I thought too but my other uncle has the same ISP as my cousins except for the fact that my uncle has his own router while my cousins have the ones provided by xfinity. 

Could the whitelist/blacklist options in Emby server changed at all? Perhaps accidentally blocking some of your families IP addresses from accessing the server?

Could the whitelist/blacklist options in Emby server changed at all? Perhaps accidentally blocking some of your families IP addresses from accessing the server?

I have made sure to have the blacklist option selected and nothing in the filter list. 

Guest asrequested

It sounds like noIP changed something in their system. They seem to be the common factor. Do all the people having trouble have the same ISP? They must have something in common that is being inhibited.

It sounds like noIP changed something in their system. They seem to be the common factor. Do all the people having trouble have the same ISP? They must have something in common that is being inhibited.

the only thing they have in common is that they use the modem/router combo provided by xfinity/comcast. other users who have xfinity/comcast but their own modem and router do not have the issue. 

Guest asrequested

the only thing they have in common is that they use the modem/router combo provided by xfinity/comcast. other users who have xfinity/comcast but their own modem and router do not have the issue.

Tell them to make sure that Comcast hasn't updated the firmware and reset their firewalls.

Happy2Play

Have they tried restarting the router/modem and any other network equipment they have?

Have they tried restarting the router/modem and any other network equipment they have?

yes, most certainly have. one of them even called comcast to see why suddenly "remote connections" don't work. of course cs had no idea wtf he was talking about. 

Happy2Play

Only other thing I can see is you are using a different port so for some reason their ISP or something is blocking it.  As we know it work fine on other network providers.  So changing ports may resolve the issue

FYI you may want to sanitize your logs prior to posting.  But I have no issue seeing your Emby.

Only other thing I can see is you are using a different port so for some reason their ISP or something is blocking it.  As we know it work fine on other network providers.  So changing ports may resolve the issue

FYI you may want to sanitize your logs prior to posting.  But I have no issue seeing your Emby.

what do i remove when sanitizing? I thought it was just all local info.

yeah, my ports are already changed from default... it's something weird with the rented equipment. 

what do i remove when sanitizing? I thought it was just all local info.

Just replace any IPs or domain names in the log so hackers won't try and do terrible things to the server :)

• 3 years later...
indianaguy

I know this threads old but did you ever resolve the remote connection problems? Same issue goin on here 

GrimReaper
4 hours ago, indianaguy said:

I know this threads old but did you ever resolve the remote connection problems? Same issue goin on here 

Hi there. Did you go through Remote connection troubleshooter, and if so, could you tell us which steps worked and which didn't? 

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

indianaguy
14 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Hi there. Did you go through Remote connection troubleshooter, and if so, could you tell us which steps worked and which didn't? 

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

thanks for the reply,

ive been through all that. finally figured out solution, ive posted here in another thread i started a while back.

• Thanks 1