Xbox One MB3 via IE User Tips and Recommendations

trooper11

trooper11

I was thinking that it could be helpful to some if we had a single thread where any Xbox One owners could post tips or share how they are interacting with MB3 via IE. 

There are actually a few different ways of doing it, so I'm sure different users have stumbled upon shortcuts or easier methods along the way.  Until there is a proper app, using IE is going to be the only option, so we might as well try to get the most out of it.

For myself, I started out using my harmony remote and tried to hunt down whatever IE commands could actually be bound to the remote.  It was working alright, but just wasn't very smooth going from content to content.  If anyone has found  ways to improve the remote control experience, please share.  If anyone needs to know more about the commands you can use via a remote, I can repost what I found from other threads.

I then started using the Smartglass app on my phone and tablet, which I have settled on as my go to remote control for now.  When using it with the X1, its just so much easier to navigate IE vs my Harmony remote.  When using MB3 specifically, it also just feels quicker and easier to navigate to the content I want.  Heck, using Smartglass allows me to actually use the MB3 search function, so that saves me time right there. I definitely recommend people try out the app for themselves and see if it might work for them.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

I bought the xbox media remote for the xbox one. It works well for pausing, stopping, and shutting the system down.

To launch movies I either use IE on the xbox or any handy tablet/PC using the browser.

• Like 2

MrWebsmith

well im happy to report that i just got an xb1 as a gift this past weekend so im happy to read/contribute to this thread where possible.. so far..

im using the web client dash (pinned to my home screen) to launch the videos usually.. although i had good success with using any other client to send it via playto/dlna.. it all worked well

for control i am using the xb1 controller for now.. but also have used the web client "remote" for basics...its great this thread came around again as im looking for something to help with the seeking so i will be trying to get harmony (i have the one) involved... or the media remote i was looking at the other day

ill let you guys know how im getting on, but i'd love to know more detail about the xb1 and a harmony one... what works/doesnt.. use the built-in logitech profile or add things in custom..etcetc?

trooper11

for control i am using the xb1 controller for now.. but also have used the web client "remote" for basics...its great this thread came around again as im looking for something to help with the seeking so i will be trying to get harmony (i have the one) involved... or the media remote i was looking at the other day

ill let you guys know how im getting on, but i'd love to know more detail about the xb1 and a harmony one... what works/doesnt.. use the built-in logitech profile or add things in custom..etcetc?

The Harmony remote has a profile for the X1, so it works great as a remote control for the entire X1 experience.  The problem as it relates to MB is trying to use your remote with IE on the X1.  There are a handful of IE keyboard shortcuts that you can bind to controls you assign on your Harmony as custom controls, but unfortunately I found nothing that would work for seeking while playing a video via the MB3 IE interface.  Play, pause, and stop work, as do a couple others such as toggling fullscreen.

That's why I started looking for another control option. 

Deathsquirrel

IIRC Kinect voice controls work fine too with the xbox media player, so you can pause/stop/etc.

Deathsquirrel

Have you guys tried the DLNA support for the Xbox One?

Yes, I use DLNA play-to to send movies to the xbox one.  Works just fine with my movie files.

DeeMac

Hey DeathSquirrel, what kind of files are you playing?   Can you or anyone comment on if MKVs and ISOs played to an X1 work?  and if this is done via DLNA or some other method like SMB files shares?  Also, Is there any transcoding happening?  Thanks.

MrWebsmith

well i can dlna mkvs for sure.. havent done an iso test as i have very few left... i can try one and report back.. also havent tried a bluray folder rip just to see...

MrWebsmith

Have you guys tried the DLNA support for the Xbox One?

scott, yea i have a few times.. worked well for me but im really just playing around, not trying to utilize it as my primary player yet anywhere... have you had good/bad luck with it on your side?

trooper11

I haven't started testing DLNA/Play To support yet, but that is next on my list. 

IIRC Kinect voice controls work fine too with the xbox media player, so you can pause/stop/etc.

Yeah, that is true.  I use voice commands a lot, but those commands don't work while using MB on IE.  There are some IE voice commands that could be useful when using MB, but they don't respond. There are IE voice commands that allow you call out a link that you see on screen and click it.  The problem is that the pieces of media listed on MB when you are browsing it does not work like a web link, so that voice command does not work. I would love to be able to call out a show, movie, etc, or maybe just a letter to browse to. 

Deathsquirrel

Hey DeathSquirrel, what kind of files are you playing?   Can you or anyone comment on if MKVs and ISOs played to an X1 work?  and if this is done via DLNA or some other method like SMB files shares?  Also, Is there any transcoding happening?  Thanks.

I play to the xbox one instead of playing in the browser because the controls are then compatible with the xbox media remote and Kinect.  I'm using MP4s containing x264 video and DTS-HD, DTS, AC3, or AAC sound in between 1.0 and 7.1 channels.The audio varies a bit as Handbrake can't put a couple of less common sound types used in blu-ray into an MP4.  The video doesn't appear to be transcoding but I'm not sure on the sound.  I'd have to check the transcoding logs which I haven't had cause to do since it all started working.

I had some initial trouble because I renamed my xbox one.  If you change your system name you have to create a DLNA profile for that device name.  Just open the xbox one profile, change the name to match your xbox one name, and save it.  It will create a copy of the xbox one profile with that device name.

• Like 2

swhitmore

scott, yea i have a few times.. worked well for me but im really just playing around, not trying to utilize it as my primary player yet anywhere... have you had good/bad luck with it on your side?

I haven't tested it in a few weeks. I also don't actually plan on using it as a player, since my HTPC is in the same room. Every test I did before didn't work though. I'll try again this week and see how it goes. I know other people here have been able to get it working.

judeau13

OK, sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question but I can't find the answer searching around on the forum. I am trying to access MB3 on my XBone via IE with no luck. I have been trying the Remote access address given in the dashboard, but that address gives me a "We're having trouble displaying this page" error. Do I need to setup some port forwarding on my router or is there another address that I should be trying?

Once again sorry if this has been covered on another thread, but I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks,

Jay

trooper11

OK, sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question but I can't find the answer searching around on the forum. I am trying to access MB3 on my XBone via IE with no luck. I have been trying the Remote access address given in the dashboard, but that address gives me a "We're having trouble displaying this page" error. Do I need to setup some port forwarding on my router or is there another address that I should be trying?

Once again sorry if this has been covered on another thread, but I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks,

Jay

The remote access address is more for trying to access the server from outside your home network.

I use the internal server address to access MB from my X1.  That address is different from the remote address listed on the config page.  Just use the same address you use to access the MB web client on any browser on your pc.

judeau13

The remote access address is more for trying to access the server from outside your home network.

I use the internal server address to access MB from my X1.  That address is different from the remote address listed on the config page.  Just use the same address you use to access the MB web client on any browser on your pc.

Do you mean the localhost:xxxx address? I typically use the Win 8.1 app or go through the server dashboard to access my media. Or does MB3 also create a local IP that I can use?

trooper11

Do you mean the localhost:xxxx address? I typically use the Win 8.1 app or go through the server dashboard to access my media. Or does MB3 also create a local IP that I can use?

Yes, the localhost address is the one I use.  That should work fine on the X1.

• 2 weeks later...
parrotheadcubs

I just tested and I'm getting 54 mob download speed on my xbox. Every movie is stalling every 20 seconds when using it as dlna through internet explorer. If I try to just play it just through IE the play flashes and closes every time. Incredibly frustrating. Any thoughts?

• 9 months later...
Maudite

I'd like to revive this topic and get all the X1 users chiming in about performance and how they use theirs.  An X1 is our main media player, so it is important to me that this works correctly.  I play via the web interface, but will probably try some dlna again shortly as I'm having some issues.

Some things have changed recently, and I'm not sure how much is related to Microsoft Updates and how much is Emby updates.

So my current (and past) issue is, when I start a show the frame-rate is poor (10 - 15 maybe).  However if I change the quality during playback, up or down to any other quality, even max, then transcoding restarts and the show plays perfectly.  This occurs for EVERY single show.  This always was an issue, then it went away for several months, and now it has just come back again.  Does anyone else play via browser and work around this issue as I do?

Another issue I have seen pop up, although not a big deal, is the time bar does not move at all anymore.  Just sits at zero.  Previously, it would proceed from zero, even if starting from some later scene, and increase normally (although quite inaccurate due to the always starting at zero).

Ah, and I do have quite a bit of trouble with subtitles.  It is hit and miss if they work, although I don't have much that I need subtitles for.

Larry SA

I'd like to revive this topic and get all the X1 users chiming in about performance and how they use theirs.  An X1 is our main media player, so it is important to me that this works correctly.  I play via the web interface, but will probably try some dlna again shortly as I'm having some issues.

Some things have changed recently, and I'm not sure how much is related to Microsoft Updates and how much is Emby updates.

So my current (and past) issue is, when I start a show the frame-rate is poor (10 - 15 maybe).  However if I change the quality during playback, up or down to any other quality, even max, then transcoding restarts and the show plays perfectly.  This occurs for EVERY single show.  This always was an issue, then it went away for several months, and now it has just come back again.  Does anyone else play via browser and work around this issue as I do?

Another issue I have seen pop up, although not a big deal, is the time bar does not move at all anymore.  Just sits at zero.  Previously, it would proceed from zero, even if starting from some later scene, and increase normally (although quite inaccurate due to the always starting at zero).

Ah, and I do have quite a bit of trouble with subtitles.  It is hit and miss if they work, although I don't have much that I need subtitles for.

The changing quality thing use to work for me in the past but now for some reason the frame rate stays bad... help?

Deathsquirrel

Every time I've tried it I get periodic pauses/freezes.  DLNA stinks, I'll wait for a real client app.

Larry SA

DNLA works for me with most content.

For some reason trans-coding seems not to work now as the files frame rate is now all jittery if trans-coded.

So if the file does not play directly. I will then try using DNLA "play to" feature from the web interface.

But I am with you on wanting a real client app for the Xbox One

I hope its soon.

chef

I had just posted on the Xbox one forums some of my recent trials with emby and Xbox one. I was, in a way, shunned by one of the forum guys.

You can read it here:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/general_discussion/f/3817/p/1953166/5219597.aspx#5219597

I tried really hard to explain the two situation I have come across while switching from HTPC to console.