Shield Test Server Struggles

atomicmoon

atomicmoon

I've been toying with the idea of moving my media server to my Nvidia Shield and this weekend began the testing process to see if it can handle the demand.

I have all my libraries connected and working, and after several scans all of my media is displaying the correct info.

My struggle comes from, some videos begin playback but within a few frames audio stops and video goes to black.

at 16:14 I attempted to play Bob's Burgers, but it stopped after a few frames.

Before that, I attempted to play "The Sixth Day" and it streamed fine, and even allowed me to skip forward and playback resumed pretty quick.

Some videos stream better than others. I'm just wondering if there is something I can do on the server end to smooth out or fix playback for all videos, or if this is a limitation of the Shield?

I believe the shield is more powerful than my current server, but more testing needs to be done.

NVIDIA TEST SERVER embyserver.txt

atomicmoon

Hi there, was there an ffmpeg log? Please attach that too. Thanks.

I hope these are still relevant.

Nothing has changed on the server since I posted this originally, other than time has passed.

If these don't help, or would better served with a fresh test let me know. 

I'm in no rush on this, unless it helps other users as this is my test server.

1614 ffmpeg-transcode-01c746cd-fc51-41e8-80e7-e73a9dbab023_1.txt

1613 ffmpeg-transcode-f3748e40-0e9e-4ab6-bdb9-e6bb87d60630_1.txt

atomicmoon

I converted the season of Bob's Burgers using the Shield's Emby server and Emby's TV settings to replace, and now they work fine on all players. I'm not a fan of xvid, but I guess I still have some lingering files in my library. Kind of a bummer the Shield wasn't able to power through, but it's still early in the Shield's server stages, and I agree with it's preferences on xvid, I just prefer it, "eat it's vegetables" like a good server and play them. 

Related to the conversion, the first episode got to 215% converted but I was unable to watch the remaining conversion process, or progress, but they were all converted and replaced as requested the next time I was able to check, so it worked in the end.

Happy using it as a test server for the time being, and maybe it can replace my aging current server one day.

atomicmoon

Hi @@atomicmoon - would you be able to provide that simpsons file for testing (privately via PM..)?

thanks,

softworkz

If I still had it I would!

I converted it via Emby, but the next time I find an episode that acts similar I will do so.

• 3 months later...
atomicmoon

@@atomicmoon are you still able to reproduce this?

At this time, unfortunately I can not. 

I've changed my home set up a bit, and my Shield is not hosting a server.

I do however, intend to get it back up and going soon, I just need to get an external hooked up to allow for more space on the device.