emby theater, mpv, playback stuttering with 4k/HDR files

mbuser18
Go to solution Solved by mbuser18,

you say emby is using mpv

when i play files using mpv standalone (no emby), the files playback very smoothly no issues whatsoever.  these are large 4k HDR files, 50+GB each.

When i use emby theater, the playback is ok, but not as smooth.  every 30 seconds or so, the frames will stutter a bit, and then like a fast forward effect as it catches up.  It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it happens every 30 seconds.

So I'm like, ok what happens if i play the same file in regular mpv?  no problem.   super smooth.  I dont understand at all.  I havent modified any settings in mpv, just regular stock mpv.

My computer is very powerful.  I just built it last month, and it is way overpowered.  I thought previously I was using a 10 year old computer, maybe thats why it wasa stuttering.  but nope...same issue old or new computer.  even on the 10 year old computer, the 4k files would playback fine in standalone players.

then i see some posts about external players and comments like "WHy not just use the regular emby player?"  this is why.  its just not as smooth.  I have no idea why.  Same comments appear on kodi, whether kodi standalone, or kod emby plugin, etc.  Its always like, the internal player should be fine.  No it is not!  external players are ALWAYS better.

anyway, so i dont really understand.  I have messed with all the settings.  the emby runs on a server which is from around 2013, it doesnt fully support intel quicksync hardware encoding, and i dont have the option because i run emby in a hyperv machine, and the encoding options apparently dont show up that way.  i dont even know if this has anything to do with it.  I dont understand why mpv on emby wouldnt be the same as mpv regular.

i have spent so much time trying to figure this out.  I have researched all sorts of things online.  I have tried almost every angle possible.  Using emby through the web interface, using emby with that emby external launcher plugin, using emby theater, using emby inside kodi, using emby connect with kodi.  each one poses different problems.  with the external player options, things arent very integrated, and i cant get the players to open on the right monitor.  with kodi, interface is beautiful, but external playback is a pain to setup up (sooooo many issues takes hours to figure out)....kodi internal player or emby through kodi just cant play the big files at all.

so far, emby theater has been the most stable.  But still.

Happy2Play

If mpv can directly play the file fine, then would it not be a issue of how you have set up your libraries in Emby and how they are being delivered to the client?

Others will be able may be able to answer but are when you say standalone mpv is that the same version that comes with ET?  Are there independent configs in standalone vs integrated version?

• Solution

I am trying now with this setting changed in video settings....hardware acceleration...i changed it to "auto copyback".  i am watching now, and it looks good!  no dropped frames in stats for nerds.  no stuttering.

yes, that setting has really fixed everything.  check out the screenshot...

5d7ed1199179c_Screenshot9_15_20195_01_12

looks like that dvxa2-copy hardware acceleration did the trick. 

Guest asrequested

Yeah, you have multiple displays. I'd wager that's the difference. Electron may be having a bit of trouble with that. 

I'm glad that auto copyback is working. Give D3D copyback a try, too. I'm curious to see the result. What GPU do you have?