Rocketman playback keeps halting

Lonald

Guest asrequested

Got it.  Now the movie plays, but no sound.   :(

Ok, something is very wrong. Can you play it in the standalone player again and post the mpv log from that?

Guest asrequested

But that it played without pausing, with no sound, is very telling. Definitely something weird with your audio.

[  26.240][v][ad] Selected codec: truehd (TrueHD)
[  26.260][f][lavfi] filter 'lavacac3enc' not found or failed to allocate
[  26.261][e][user_filter_wrapper] Creating filter 'lavacac3enc' failed.
[  26.261][e][cplayer] Audio filter initialized failed!
[  26.261][v][ad] Uninit decoder.
[  26.261][v][mkv] deselect track 3
[  26.261][i][cplayer] Audio: no audio 

What audio equipment are you using, and how is it configured? 

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Also, you can try putting this in your mpv.conf

audio-device=wasapi/Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
af=lavcac3enc=yes:384:3
audio-exclusive=yes
Edited by Doofus

The configuration is the embedded sound on the PC (same PC that serves as the Emby server) - this uses a Realtek High Definition chip with optical connection off the MB to Edifier speakers.  Of note, I did play this on a Google Slate without difficulty.

Playing the file on mpv directly now goes through without a problem, once I removed the lava... line.

The log I sent did not go through to the break point, sorry about that.  When no sound occurred, I got antsy.  Playing it without the conf line as noted did allow the file to play through the block.

When playing using the Theater app, the block is still in place.

I put the new lines in the conf file and played through Emby.  The movie stopped at the 3:19 point and the sound did not play at any time.

Guest asrequested

What model number for your speakers?  I think we may have to force mpv to do something different.

It is actually working but your speakers don't like it. It might be the bitrate. I can change that. I just need to know what your speakers support, so I need the model number.

[   0.442][v][ao/wasapi] Trying stereo spdif-ac3 (16/16 bits) @ 48000hz (exclusive) -> ok
[   0.442][v][ao/wasapi] Accepted as stereo spdif-ac3 @ 48000hz -> stereo spdif-ac3 (16/16 bits) @ 48000hz (exclusive)

Guest asrequested

So we're getting closer :)

[   0.392][v][af] [in] 48000Hz 7.1 8ch s32
[   0.393][v][af] [lavcac3enc] 48000Hz 7.1 8ch s32
[   0.393][v][autoconvert] inserting resampler
[   0.393][v][swresample] format change, reinitializing resampler
[   0.393][v][swresample] 48000Hz 7.1 s32 -> 48000Hz 5.1(side) floatp
[   0.393][v][swresample] Remix: 7.1 -> 5.1(side)
[   0.401][v][af] [userspeed] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   0.401][v][af] [userspeed] (disabled)
[   0.401][v][af] [convert] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   0.401][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'wasapi'
[   0.401][v][ao] Using preferred device 'Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)'
[   0.401][v][ao/wasapi] requested format: 48000 Hz, stereo channels, spdif-ac3
[   0.401][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi
[   0.402][d][ao/wasapi] Find device 'Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)'
[   0.410][v][ao/wasapi] Selecting device by name: 'Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)'
[   0.410][v][ao/wasapi] Selecting device '{e4d91b10-57fd-4a48-9dfb-a449f9416762}' (Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio))
[   0.410][v][ao/wasapi] Monitoring changes in device {0.0.0.00000000}.{e4d91b10-57fd-4a48-9dfb-a449f9416762}
[   0.430][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi thread
[   0.430][d][ao/wasapi] Activating pAudioClient interface
[   0.435][d][ao/wasapi] Probing formats
[   0.442][v][ao/wasapi] Trying stereo spdif-ac3 (16/16 bits) @ 48000hz (exclusive) -> ok
[   0.442][v][ao/wasapi] Accepted as stereo spdif-ac3 @ 48000hz -> stereo spdif-ac3 (16/16 bits) @ 48000hz (exclusive)

Guest asrequested

One question. Why aren't you choosing the AC3 track instead of the TrueHD?

[   0.638][i][cplayer]      Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng 'English' (ac3 6ch 48000Hz)
[   0.638][i][cplayer]      Audio --aid=2 --alang=fra 'French' (ac3 6ch 48000Hz)
[   0.638][i][cplayer]  (+) Audio --aid=3 --alang=eng (*) 'English' (truehd 8ch 48000Hz)

Guest asrequested

It would be very helpful if you could play the video in the standalone but only use the logging line and this in the mpv.conf, then post the log.

audio-device=wasapi/Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
audio-exclusive=yes

That should tell me what is supported.

I did try playing this through a pair of USB headphones without success (halts at usual 3:16 spot) - this is with using the three lines in the conf file and with the soundtrack not working.

I also just tried the Dolby 5.1 track and the application froze on the movie splash screen, with the spinning circle going round - again, with the USB headset as the speaker.

Removing the lines from conf allows the Dolby track to be heard through the USB headset - it contains the soundtrack and a narration.  The playback then halts at 1:36.  The playback could not be changed to DTS 7.1 until the application was closed and reopened.  With the conf file back to this simple state, playing halted at the same spot using the USB headset.

I then added the above lines to the conf and played through the Edifier S2000pro speakers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725GZQFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) using mpv as a standalone for 5 minutes or so.  The log from this is attached.

Thanks!

Theater mpv log.txt

Edited by Lonald

Guest asrequested

And it's only that movie this happens with? The audio is being converted correctly, but there're a lot of errors. If it's just that movie, I'd suggest reacquiring it. If it's more than one movie, can you share it? It may be freezing in theater because of how it's being delivered combined with those errors.

Guest asrequested

I'll get a new copy and let you know. Strange that the Emby Theater has trouble and mpv does not.

Thanks!

I suspect it's because Theater uses a 'pipe'. There is a similar issue with 3D stuff. mpv generates a ton of errors, but as a standalone, somehow it just rolls over them. But in Theater, it causes playback to halt. What I think it's actually doing is crashing mpv, but electron is stopping it from closing completely, because it's clamped to the window. And when you press play to resume playback, it's actually restarting playback from that position. When that happens, mpv is restarted. It's a bit complicated. One day I'll have to test my theory...