New releases on homescreen

computerprep

horstepipe

Hey chef,

I just tried out your plugin and noticed that if searching for movies the plugin channel lists, I'm getting doubled results (tested on WebUI).

Is this a restrictions of these "channels" or is it something you can eliminate?

Thanks and best regards!

Edited by horstepipe
  • Agree 1

Junglejim

Great work mate, I knew you would figure it out. ;)

Multiple versions are not my thing as you know but if that will please you and it's not that much code (regex is a pain).. :)

For me this is perfect as is! 🍻

Happy2Play

@horstepipe Don't believe it is possible as Channels add database entries for existing items, so search is double along with Continue Watching.

• Agree 1

Junglejim
50 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@horstepipe Don't believe it is possible as Channels add database entries for existing items, so search is double along with Continue Watching.

Yea I don't think you can do much in that regard, Media/channels/VirtualTV etc. will show up in a search.

It will also affect smart playlists to some degree (new releases list) but with the channel you don't need the playlist. 🙃

Screenshot_2022-09-23_21-20-53.thumb.png.72d03ca84200a617def92190bd64ebee.png

Edited by Junglejim

Junglejim
22 minutes ago, chef said:

Does the search use SortName or does it use Name?

I'm not sure. :) It's just a general search it didn't have a filter in that regard (web app). I can use the tabs to go to - movies/songs/programms to narrow it down.

I don't think you can do anything about the search, as @Happy2Play said it creates a new db entry and re-scrapes the media for that entry.

Edited by Junglejim

It looks like it uses a string contains or greater in the query result.

So, yeah there isn't much to do about the multiple search results.

• Thanks 1

Junglejim
27 minutes ago, chef said:

Yea that's always been the case, just @horstepipe was hoping it wasn't. ;)

Thanks for your work on this.👍 I'm still hoping  for the "Top Picks" :) ..

Paypal is itching to spend! I read that your waiting for some core update, that's cool. I'm sure you learned a bunch with this channel.

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 2

Bottles51
1 hour ago, chef said:

Have you looked into how collections link to a movie already in your library. When a movie is in a collection it does not show as a double. Could the new release library be set up some how the using that. I know nothing about coding so just a friendly thought.

Just now, Bottles51 said:

Have you looked into how collections link to a movie already in your library. When a movie is in a collection it does not show as a double. Could the new release library be set up some how the using that. I know nothing about coding so just a friendly thought.

This did cross my mind actually.

However, Collections is a library type.

I'm sure that somewhere in the emby's core code, items contained in  this type are  handled a certain way specifically.

I also wondered how different the results would be creating a library instead of a channel.

Dealing with BaseItems instead of ChannelItems...

But, not much we can do while dealing with Channels.  :) 

Junglejim
4 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

I personaly think this should be in the core and it should not show doubles when serched.

Thank you chef great work.

Yea it would be nice not to have doubles or triples when searched. The Trailers channel behaves the same way. Maybe a core option to exclude channels in the search?

Screenshot_2022-09-29_18-22-37.thumb.png.4529d971aa7a70418bc78e75a767378c.png

This is... Library movie - New Releases channel - Trailers channel.

I must admit this doesn't bother me too much though.

Edited by Junglejim

Junglejim
4 hours ago, chef said:

Is this feature request complete?

For me personally it is, I think it's great!

Thanks for your work on this. 🍻

• Like 1

horstepipe

@Luke

Any chance implementing something in the core which lets the dev of such a channel plug-in decide whether the content shall show up in search results?

15 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

@Luke

Any chance implementing something in the core which lets the dev of such a channel plug-in decide whether the content shall show up in search results?

It's possible for future updates, yes.

• Thanks 1

chef

Search could implement Exclude locations that is a lot of up keep when new channels are created.

Perhaps an extension method on the return values, like: DistinctBy.

Then use DistinctBy(name, production year).

At the same time... search is doing what it is supposed to. It is returning proper values from the database. There are technically two enteries. 🤷

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
Spaceboy

i just installed new releases. unfortunately it caused emby to eat up all my memory until emby became unresponsive and required restarting. fine after removing it. i do have quite a large library. let me know if there is anything i can do to test why

3 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

i just installed new releases. unfortunately it caused emby to eat up all my memory until emby became unresponsive and required restarting. fine after removing it. i do have quite a large library. let me know if there is anything i can do to test why

I can't understand why a channel would do that 🤷

I'd need to see a log.

Spaceboy
9 hours ago, chef said:

I can't understand why a channel would do that 🤷

I'd need to see a log.

i've got to go out so unfortunately i cant stick around to see it fall over. but since i produced you the top picks log i just added the new releases plugin and restarted. its at 9.5Gb ram and climbing still. got to 35Gb the other day before dying

embyserver(12).txt

Bottles51

@chef Is it possible to filter out the library's that new releases channel scans from? for example your Top Picks Library. This is creating yet another duplicate and it seems as if top picks may be pulling from the new release plugin as i am not getting art on some movies within top pics. I have uninstalled Top Pics as i am a bit o.c.d. with my art and top pics row just don't seem to be meshing well with new releases.

Edited by Bottles51
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Bottles51 said:

@chef Is it possible to filter out the library's that new releases channel scans from? for example your Top Picks Library. This is creating yet another duplicate and it seems as if top picks may be pulling from the new release plugin as i am not getting art on some movies within top pics. I have uninstalled Top Pics as i am a bit o.c.d. with my art and top pics row just don't seem to be meshing well with new releases.

Sure thing, we can definitely filter that.

I'll be back! 

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1

Idealbrandon

@chef I just read this thread from the first post all the way to now. What a wild ride.

Just wanting to confirm two things:

1. The most recent NewReleases plugin you posted on 9/22 still has the duplicate search results, right? and is this being worked on or do we think its just how it is? Does everything else, like watched status or metadata changes, work across the different "copies" ?

2. The top picks plugin is still unreleased, right?

Awesome work, thanks for everything!

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Idealbrandon said:

1. The most recent NewReleases plugin you posted on 9/22 still has the duplicate search results, right? and is this being worked on or do we think its just how it is? Does everything else, like watched status or metadata changes, work across the different "copies" ?

Currently no way around it as each has its own id and same id currently can not be in two libraries.  As for Watched status there are several topics with lengthy discussions but userdata is tracked providerid but all versions are the same to me.

3 minutes ago, Idealbrandon said:

2. The top picks plugin is still unreleased, right?

It is in the Catalog.

• Like 1