New releases on homescreen

computerprep

computerprep

Unless I'm totally missing something, there's no way to add a row to the homescreen that displays the newest releases of movie library(ies).

Would be a great, useful addition to latest media to have an option that sorts by release date instead of date added.

• Like 12

EDIT** unless you meant separate from the NEW RELEASES row already available, where you want to display new releases and newly added at the same time but 2 different rows. Then this has already been requested 

Happy2Play

From a Date perspective yes the TimeLord plugin does exactly that for Latest Movies, as it will change the database DateAdded to the items PremiereDate/ReleaseDate so all items in the Latest Movies with be sorted by PremiereDate/ReleaseDate.

So the question really is what exactly are you wanting?  I would assume it is more toward the same as the Spotlight Request and "Featured" request.

computerprep

I have the Time Lord plugins. And have used then previously. But I enjoy keeping my date added separate from my release date.

My goal is for me (or my friend-users) to be able to easily access new releases from the homescreen. Thinking specifically of my Roku... It takes quite a bit to get to all movies and change the sort to release date then change the sort direction. We're talking about nearly 20 button presses on the remote and waiting several different times for a list of movies to populate before seeing a list of movies sorted by release date.

20 might not be bad on a faster device, like my phone... But getting to a list of all movies sorted my release date on my phone is still only 5 taps. The filters access on Roku (and potentially other devices) make this cumbersome.

Happy2Play

But it still comes back to the criteria of what is a New Release?  As Latest Movies is anything newly added to your library.  So New Releases to me would have to be manually applied.

• Like 1

computerprep

Oh my goodness. I think I spelled it out pretty clearly. I'm talking about movies sort my RELEASE DATE. Available as a row on the homescreen.

New releases and new additions are totally different.

Or does no one remember going to Blockbuster and browsing "New Releases."

Like this screenshot. Only immediately available on the homescreen.

post-1756-0-68605800-1568601546_thumb.png

• Like 1

mastrmind11

If you add a movie released in 1985 to your library, it wouldn't be a "new release" though, it would be "newly added".  That's why your request is confusing.

• Like 1

PuffyToesToo

What I have done as a work around (I did make a feature request for this as well and it was a dup so merged https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65674-recently-released-on-home-screen/) is create a separate library for New Releases, where I place movies 3-6 months or newer into that folder. That allows me to have it as a separate listing on the homepage. It's a bit cumbersome to go in every month or so and move anything older into their correct folders, but at least it achieves what I want.  just an idea that works for me that you may find useful.

5d7f7a614b082_hhh.jpg

• Like 3

computerprep

@@PuffyToesToo, great suggestions in that thread. I'll follow it for sure.

@@mastrmind11, you're right. New releases and newly added are very much different. My request it's for New Releases to be easily accessible (homescreen) and sorted by descending release date.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
Dibbes

@@ebr are you guys looking into a possibility to add some sort of virtual libraries to the home screen? This would already make a huge difference...

Edited by Dibbes

• 2 months later...
OnyxUK

Hey peeps, 

Just a quick post as i am new to emby and in the middle of changing over from plex. when starting to add my movies to emby i have noticed that they is no tab for "newly released movies".

when showing my family our new emby they all was asking the same and im very shocked this hasn't been already done, i have seen a lot of threads about this but i dont think people know what they are on about to a certain degree. ei sorting movie by date, using a plugin or spotlight etc, as you can see in the photo below from my plex server, i have NEWLY released movie and RECENTLY added movies, 

im not going to be buying emby just yet as i would like to test it for a bit first to see what its like. i love the amount of customization you can do along with the tv mode, these types of things smash plex outta the water.

i would like to have my media server a bit like Netflix and emby is starting to do that very well but little things can go along way and really hope this gets added and maybe movie genres tabs too. 

5e7f9ebf684c2_1.png

-------

EDIT : sorry this was from my thread and have been pointed to this one as this one created first haha 

------

• Like 5

carbonbaseunit

I also would like to request a "New Releases" tab on Homescreen and Suggested.  I find it hard to believe this hasn't been implemented yet.  It's cool having all your newly added movies available, but newly released is just as important.

• Like 3

OnyxUK

I also would like to request a "New Releases" tab on Homescreen and Suggested.  I find it hard to believe this hasn't been implemented yet.  It's cool having all your newly added movies available, but newly released is just as important.

FULLY AGREED and well said my friend :) 

• Like 2

carbonbaseunit

Actually this is something which is so obvious as to beg the question why it hasn't been implemented. Does the Dev have a partnership with the Timelord creator or something. I noticed he asks $6 to use his plugin. Has this not been implemented to help his revenue stream?

Changing the added to date to the premier date works.... Unless you just added a bunch of movies and would like an easy way to look at them..... Which is now impossible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

PuffyToesToo

Is it feasible then, to use metadata, or even the three dot menu for a movie to do this? So one could simply click a checkbox to "Mark as New Release". This would have it show in its own row as a New Release, and also let the admin decide what constitutes a new release?

But it still comes back to the criteria of what is a New Release?  As Latest Movies is anything newly added to your library.  So New Releases to me would have to be manually applied.

5e873144e429b_ex.jpg

carbonbaseunit

But it still comes back to the criteria of what is a New Release? As Latest Movies is anything newly added to your library. So New Releases to me would have to be manually applied.

What is the criteria for a new release? How about, you know, the Release Date. We already have the data. If you look at all your movies you can sort them by release date OR last added. How is this complicated to understand?

• Like 1

OnyxUK

What is the criteria for a new release? How about, you know, the Release Date. We already have the data. If you look at all your movies you can sort them by release date OR last added. How is this complicated to understand?

i completely agree with what your saying, this has already been done for release date order along with many other sorting formats. i quote from above..

But it still comes back to the criteria of what is a New Release? As Latest Movies is anything newly added to your library. So New Releases to me would have to be manually applied.

to me a new release is any movie RELEASED in the current year or the last 8 - 12 months. latest movies would be  from any date added to your server no matter how old or new the media is, so new releases to me shouldn't have to be manually applied as this is something that can be implemented by emby themselves, in fact this is pretty much already done as you have also stated above... being able to use the sorting tabs,  so why can't they implement this in its own bar like they have with the "latest movies" and "latest shows" that appear on the home screen, recommendations tab. plex has already done this and i cant really believe emby hasn't. emby and a few other members may not agree with me but its the little things like this that makes a huge difference. its about the users experience and not just for yourself but family/friend members that want to find things easier or be able to enjoy the media you are setting up for them not sitting there trying to find something to watch thinking they have already seen it a hundred times and passing something that may be newly released and didn't or could find it because your library it very large , i know emby and plex are very similar in ways but very different in general,

i am converting over from plex as its very basic and limited and emby is not but unfortunately plex has emby beat on this feature. ( for now anyways )  

• Like 1

Punch

Can we have this in the next update please ? New releases auto populated with media from current date back to the last 6 months. Anything after that only goes to recently added AND also have the manual option in the menu as well, as shown above...

Edited by Punch
  • Like 1

chef

This isn't a exactly what you guys wanted, but what I did was create a Channel Plugin which only lists Movies from the beginning of the year and called it New Release:

I whipped it up pretty fast so the Movie details page needs extra work.

5e887c0d2e964_releasesExample1.png

5e887c3c5629e_releasesExample2.png

If you wanna try it:

DOWNLOAD: NewReleases.zip

It could be written to show monthly releases, but I would think that the library might be empty at some points, so yearly seemed good.

Edited by chef
  • Like 5

FrostByte

This isn't a exactly what you guys wanted, but what I did was create a Channel Plugin which only lists Movies from the beginning of the year and called it New Release:

It could be written to show monthly releases, but I would think that the library might be empty at some points, so yearly seemed good.

Could it show New Releases in the last 365 days?  Even the number of movies since the beginning of the year will be small or large depending on which month of the year you're in.  Minus the ones you've already watched of course.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

PuffyToesToo

Thank you chef, so far this is fantastic and saves me the manual work I've been doing to maintain a New Releases category! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

chef

This version allows you to choose a date in the configuration which marks a Minimum Premiere date for new releases. YOu need to manually kick off  the "Refresh Internet Channels" Scheduled Task.

5e88a5e1d5e14_newReleaseConfig.png

TODO's:

1. The plugin needs to kick off the "Refresh Internet Channels" scheduled task on it's own (you have to manually hit refresh for the New releases to populate) I'll fix it next.

2.@@Luke, sir, when this channel's ChannelItems are rebuilt or changed, and the channel is refreshed,  it is holding on to previous versions of the same channel Items, and therefore the channel has duplicate items.

I thought they might be stuck in the browser cache, but after a cache  clear, the items are still duplicated in the Channel Item list.

How do I clear the entire list of items in the DB, and refresh/rebuild the library items with the new conditions?

Is that what: DataVersion is?

Thank you sir.

I think we might want to wait to install this version until I hear back from Luke regarding the duplicate channel Item problem.

DOWNLOAD:

Edited by chef
  • Like 2

chef

It's not DataVersion.

It probably has to do a conditional check on its own to see if the item already exists before adding it to the ChannelItems.

It would be easier to clear the library.

Weird.

Edited by chef