what about a spotlight in the web client... like this...?

chef

It could rotate or something, like in the theater :) Of coarse it would have to be able to be turned off I suppose for people who don't like the idea. ;)

5d7bebec7aa24_example.png

post-27-0-82866000-1568402423_thumb.png

• Like 17

It would definitely have to be optional and probably default off but under those conditions it is possible.

We used to have this as standard and a lot of the feedback we got was basically "why is a random item from my collection consuming so much space on my home screen?".

For services trying to entice you into watching/buying something, these spotlights make a lot of sense.  For a personal media server, not quite as much IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

vdatanet

I would like this to be configurable on / off and not random. The server administrator should be able to manually define the content of this section. It would be useful for my family, especially for older members who feel uncomfortable browsing libraries.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I would like this to be configurable on / off and not random. The server administrator should be able to manually define the content of this section. It would be useful for my family, especially for older members who feel uncomfortable browsing libraries.

Favorite || Liked content.

Probably based on user rating

Much like the theater.

I really like that Apple TV setup.

• Like 1

jachin99

Just my opinion here but I think chef's layout looks closer to theater, and I would prefer it but both are good choices.  With chef's layout you could also add a few quick link boxes to the right of spotlight, or something similar.  Maybe other spotlights, like guide listings or something users consume reptetitively.

arrbee99

Personally, like the idea in post no 1 but that space on the right is begging to be filled. So a, dare I say it, Theater like horizontal home page for the web would be good IMHO, possible as per jachin99.

Also like Luke's image, just think its so wide that a lot of art, would likely consist of the top of someones forehead.

• Like 1

How is it possible host the tv.emby.media UI instead of the regular UI?

I think I would much rather customize that UI.

arrbee99

How is it possible host the tv.emby.media UI instead of the regular UI?

I think I would much rather customize that UI.

Not sure if you're asking me, but I can't even remember what tv.emby.media is.

Am just suggesting, similar to you I think, some customisation of existing apps to maybe make the home screen (optionally) more Theater like.

On the subject of adding a "spotlight" section.

You guys should take a look at ici.tou.tv, which is a french canadain streaming site.

When viewed through a web browser, they have a spotlight section which has four items in a rotation, piled on the right side, a nice idea in my opinion.

Actually, i think the whole site is pretty nice and slick.

The Apple version features an extra wide image, that not a whole lot of people would have, but you guys can use Thumb type images which is a lot more available, and if none is present just use one of the backdrops or fanart that you add text to identify the show or film.

...and as far a having it on or off, it could be added as one of the Home Screen options.

You want it on top of the home screen, or at the bottom, or not preset at all... emby has got you covered!

As always, just my two cents.

Cheers!

• Like 1

It's kind of possible with CSS. This is a quick example, it isn't perfect, but it is possible :)

5d7e4113a20b7_examplelargeCont.png

That's about half way styled.

The width needs to be longer to match better with apple, and the image request needs to be a bit larger from the API.

Edited by chef

• 1 year later...
Bearloverpr

Is this still going on?

I was looking for a plugin like this, but the way I see it is kind of an area on top of all in the home screen, where you can place custom list, like Christmas movies, Dino week, back to the 80's week, 13 most scariest movies for Halloween, Summer movies, etc. maybe a littler bigger than the other regular list(continue watching, Latest TV show, etc) that you can rename the title as you want and just show the play list of movies and/or TV shows of that special interest to all the users in your server.

4 hours ago, Bearloverpr said:

Is this still going on?

I was looking for a plugin like this, but the way I see it is kind of an area on top of all in the home screen, where you can place custom list, like Christmas movies, Dino week, back to the 80's week, 13 most scariest movies for Halloween, Summer movies, etc. maybe a littler bigger than the other regular list(continue watching, Latest TV show, etc) that you can rename the title as you want and just show the play list of movies and/or TV shows of that special interest to all the users in your server.

It's something that we're interested in, just haven't been able to get to it yet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Bearloverpr
On 1/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, Luke said:

It's something that we're interested in, just haven't been able to get to it yet.

that will be awesome...  looking forward to it

• 8 months later...
Bearloverpr

Any news guys?

Simple will be the idea, let the user upload any image and just allow to link it to a play list or a specific movie/series. no more than 6 or 7 items.

Emby1.thumb.jpg.924287272def0223ad5a6ba65bdf74d5.jpg

And to turn it on and off if they want to. Off by default for people that does not know how to use it.

Emby2.thumb.jpg.d37a50bf967b58a01000e6c0075f22a9.jpg

• Like 7