what about a spotlight in the web client... like this...?

chef

arrbee99

I like. I was just trying to reproduce it here (what can I say, it takes a while...). It would be nice to make it more available.

I should mention I do have a soft spot for my own home page at the moment though, even though its not clickable or anything -

350736632_EmbyHomePagebackground9.thumb.JPG.d7572355ed3d085660220bf939f0b702.JPG

• Like 4

GrimReaper
17 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I actually think it looks really nice - what are your views ?

I think it looks fairly decent and is maybe the best solution I've seen up until now for highlighting something. But I'm having problem placing it on the Home Screen (as it's actually a Latest row) - I must either sacrifice CW row or have banners below both My Media and CW, which would kinda defeat its purpose to begin with, as they would get lost in the crowd, I would really like them on top of the page. 🤔

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I think it looks fairly decent and is maybe the best solution I've seen up until now for highlighting something. But I'm having problem placing it on the Home Screen (as it's actually a Latest row) - I must either sacrifice CW row or have banners below both My Media and CW, which would kinda defeat its purpose to begin with, as they would get lost in the crowd, I would really like them on top of the page. 🤔

In 'Home Screen' - Library Order, just put the 'Spotlight' library at the top ... ;)

Capture.PNG.5697b68b8d7d2bf8e959f5346989706a.PNG

This uses the 'Latest media' functionality - so if you have 'Latest media' as the first in your CLIENT home screen, then it will always be at the top .. ;)

(or after 'My media' in the example below ..)

Capture1.PNG.8e6c2a003d7014eb0e5f47cf668313dd.PNG

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

In 'Home Screen' - Library Order, just put the 'Spotlight' library at the top ... ;)

Capture.PNG.5697b68b8d7d2bf8e959f5346989706a.PNG

This uses the 'Latest media' functionality - so if you have 'Latest media' as the first in your CLIENT home screen, then it will always be at the top .. ;)

(or after 'My media' in the example below ..)

Capture1.PNG.8e6c2a003d7014eb0e5f47cf668313dd.PNG

Rbj, I know that, hence I said:

18 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I must either sacrifice CW row

since it would go below ALL libraries 'latest' and make it practically unusable

or

19 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

have banners below both My Media and CW

where I don't fancy it to be. 

rbjtech

Yep - it's a 'hack' so I guess you need to compromise somewhere.

The other downside is it only works on direct link files - if the strm could point to a TV series or collection - then this becomes REALLY useful.

arrbee99

At least with the second version I managed to move the banner to the top - don't know why the Home Screen settings page can't just have a Save button.

Its fun to play with though.

Still, Luke has a point about needing decent resolution images...

arrbee99

As a general question, kind of in the meantime, does anyone think it might be an idea, as Emby has a show random image in the background function, to make that image more visible at the top, and clickable ?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

As a general question, kind of in the meantime, does anyone think it might be an idea, as Emby has a show random image in the background function, to make that image more visible at the top, and clickable ?

Personally, I don't use backdrops there, but if those were to be used I'm more inclined towards Luke's solution:

On 11/18/2021 at 10:50 PM, Luke said:

Or we could take a middle portion of the backdrop image, but I already know the complaints we'll get over having to crop it.

Considering it would be cropped at abt. 1/3 backdrop height, maybe it would be wiser not to take middle +/- 15% but start from top somewhere at 10-20% and then take another 30%, as that's where majority of the content would usually be, as it would reduce the chance of chopping heads. 😂

arrbee99

So it would be like in the image at the top, with the dinosaur, you could click on it to go to that items detail page and play (or not). Only the bright portion would be clickable, not the greyed out bit behind My Media. It would come with the option.

I also wasn't a fan of the backdrops there because I always found them too bright, but find it usable with a bit of css.

Anyway, just a thought.

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Personally, I don't use backdrops there, but if those were to be used I'm more inclined towards Luke's solution:

Considering it would be cropped at abt. 1/3 backdrop height, maybe it would be wiser not to take middle +/- 15% but start from top somewhere at 10-20% and then take another 30%, as that's where majority of the content would usually be, as it would reduce the chance of chopping heads. 😂

As a manually edited 'spotlight' chosen by the Admin - then I think it is reasonable to have them to do a bit of work to get it showing correctly.  Maybe present all the background 'options' from whatever is available (showing the relevant 'crops') - and then have a separate option to overlay the 'logo' if you want to.

Banners are a great option for phones and even web browsers - but on a 4K 65" TV they are gonna look bad....

• Agree 2

Marijuana

OH Sweet jesus this looks sexy as hell, that's how emby should look 🤩 That makes me excited seeing the work you guys did in just a couple days. The jurassic park one OH MY GOD now that looks like my style haha I love that and the one just below that it looks perfect. Arrbee99 you are amazing 🤩

If you guys really want to replicate what is done in Apple TV, what would need to be done is attach the "spotlight" row to My Media as an option and, as each library gains focus in My media, a different row of spotlight items (from that library) is shown above it.

That is exactly what the Apple interface does.

• Like 2

Marijuana
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you guys really want to replicate what is done in Apple TV, what would need to be done is attach the "spotlight" row to My Media as an option and, as each library gains focus in My media, a different row of spotlight items (from that library) is shown above it.

Can you please show us an example

Marijuana
16 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

I like. I was just trying to reproduce it here (what can I say, it takes a while...). It would be nice to make it more available.

I should mention I do have a soft spot for my own home page at the moment though, even though its not clickable or anything -

350736632_EmbyHomePagebackground9.thumb.JPG.d7572355ed3d085660220bf939f0b702.JPG

My Kids LOVE THIS 😁 

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Ah I see.

So if you go to the Latest TV Shows - then it changes the 'Spotlight' to all the Spotlight TV items ?  That's cool.

I guess this is a working 'hack' that only works for direct play items - films/tv episodes or photos) - so while you can 'spotlight' a TV show (as a photo) you can't jump to it as a series unfortunately.

I actually tried the hack on the 'Shield' with a 65" OLED last night too and tbh, the scaling of the banner didn't look too bad at all (surprisingly), I guess it all depends on the source resolution.

Screenshot_20211119-235538.png.5f1959682e7aa56a059968e70a2e7fb8.png

Screenshot_20211119-235404.png.f7b4b5ec3e5c72c703b34f83aad7fb1c.png

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

So if you go to the Latest TV Shows - then it changes the 'Spotlight' to all the Spotlight TV items ?

Not exactly.  It would be tied to "My Media" (your libraries) not Latest rows.

So, you have focus on your "Movies" library in My Media and the spotlight would show items from that movie library.  Move to "TV Series" and you get items from that library, etc.

Apple calls this thing "Top Shelf" and it is actually at an application level.  Each app provides content that is shown when it is in focus. 

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

So, you have focus on your "Movies" library in My Media and the spotlight would show items from that movie library.  Move to "TV Series" and you get items from that library, etc.

Would those be interactive (i.e. clickable) or presentation only? 

Edit: And how would we mark which items we'd like shown there? Edit Metadata or a checkmark on poster? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Like 1

GrimReaper

Another approach could be to introduce "Spotlight"-type library, which would also be manually managed as all other libraries and behave as such - read Mixed-content type - (hence no complex logic involved) BUT would get it's own Home Screen Section row (in Home Screen settings section dropdowns), so it could be placed up top, and would use banner-ratio image as Primary by default, either blown-up banners or cropped background? It would actually be a variation of @rbjtech's solution. And it would enable both Movie and TV Show type spotlight items to be interactive. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

vdatanet

My favorite approach would be to be able to define a section of the home screen as a playlist (if it's smart better), with a banner image as by default. 

1824798112_Capturadepantalla2021-11-20alas16_55_52.png.b6250d2bfd52ba3745c079966aa34108.png

• Like 4

rbjtech
3 hours ago, chef said:

Whaaat! How are you guys doing that? 😳

Css pseudo elements or something?

Hi @chef - it's just a standard Photo/Home Video library brought to the top of the list - using the 'banner' image file for the images and an associated strm file to provide the actual link. 

Simplicity 👍

• Thanks 1