what about a spotlight in the web client... like this...?

chef

chef
1 hour ago, Bearloverpr said:

Any news guys?

Simple will be the idea, let the user upload any image and just allow to link it to a play list or a specific movie/series. no more than 6 or 7 items.

Emby1.thumb.jpg.924287272def0223ad5a6ba65bdf74d5.jpg

And to turn it on and off if they want to. Off by default for people that does not know how to use it.

Emby2.thumb.jpg.d37a50bf967b58a01000e6c0075f22a9.jpg

😳 Amazing 👍 I love that for sure.

rbjtech

It's actually easy enough to do by just creating a 'spotlight/recommendations/featured' library, putting items in it (or strm links to items) and then put it to to the top of your library display order ..

It works on all clients ..

Yes it's not huge 'eye candy' but it works ok - and as you watch the items, they disappear.. 

Capture.PNG.8028e746436d4b502c81c909a6c96618.PNG

It's very similar to this thread which I started a while back -

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/99029-personalised-recommendations-library-work-in-progress/

• Like 1

Bearloverpr
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes I like the idea, it's just not something we've been able to look at yet.

Please, Please, Please...

9cdc993a5b60a0b43ba134813a916e91.jpg.4dfb2ad89c977677f94e435538439627.jpg

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
kikinjo

Why just simply not reuse already hallowen spotlight that pops up every halloween? Seems that 90% of this feature is already in place it just needs part where admin defines what will be shown in that section. Why is reinventing the wheel almost always needed for some new emby addition / feature.

Edited by kikinjo

Marijuana
On 9/14/2019 at 1:53 AM, Luke said:

I think in TV layouts this would be a good idea. I like how apple tv does it:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-25-at-11.56.48-AM.pn

OH Hell Yeah! Please do this please bro, I love it. Completely kick ass look and imo emby would be 100% complete for me :) See at the bottom the 4 movies also seems to pop out a little like a 3d effect that looks so sweet. Make this happen I will etransfer you $50 asap.

arrbee99

A crude way to do something like this would be to show a background image and use css to move your top row down a bit and maybe darken the background under the rows you have.

Spaceboy
2 hours ago, kikinjo said:

Why just simply not reuse already hallowen spotlight that pops up every halloween? Seems that 90% of this feature is already in place it just needs part where admin defines what will be shown in that section. Why is reinventing the wheel almost always needed for some new emby addition / feature.

made this exact point on the discussion around the halloween theme a few weeks ago.

and yes it often feels like dev's want to re-invent the wheel rather than re-use already in place functionality. not sure why...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kikinjo said:

53 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

made this exact point on the discussion around the halloween theme a few weeks ago.

and yes it often feels like dev's want to re-invent the wheel rather than re-use already in place functionality. not sure why...

Actually (and I think I already made this point in the other discussion) that isn't 90% of the work. It is more like 20%.  It also is not the same thing at all as the large spotlight item being requested here. 

Spaceboy
34 minutes ago, ebr said:

Actually (and I think I already made this point in the other discussion) that isn't 90% of the work. It is more like 20%.  It also is not the same thing at all as the large spotlight item being requested here. 

but this is the point. rather than spending the small amount of time to give the user control over what can already be displayed in the seasonal themes section (which already exists), you push back and refuse to do anything because its not delivering precisely what the OP is requesting in this case. That functionality gets you 80% of the way to what the OP is asking for, but because you can't deliver 100% its a no. perhaps if you focussed on incremental improvements rather than big bangs you would satisfy your user base more.

its also why next gen tv has completely failed to deliver to date

• Like 1

We have to think about it in the context of all apps. Yes there is some work that can be reused in the Android TV app, but that doesn't represent 80 percent of the work that has to be done.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:53 AM, Luke said:

I think in TV layouts this would be a good idea. I like how apple tv does it:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-25-at-11.56.48-AM.pn

One challenge with this display on a wide screen, as much as I love it, is we don't have artwork for it that is a perfect match. The banner image type is the closest in aspect ratio, but won't look sharp if we have to blow it up and increase it in size. Or we could take a middle portion of the backdrop image, but I already know the complaints we'll get over having to crop it.

In portrait orientation, on a smart phone for example, there would be no problem though.

But the more I look at it on Apple TV, the more I want it in Emby, so I'd like to try and find a way.

• Like 4

Marijuana

Hi Luke, what do you mean by you don't have artwork for it ? I'm sure there are people here that would love to make artwork for it me included. I would gladly contribute my time in making some crisp 4k banners if that's what your referring to. After watching apple tv videos on youtube for the last hour I'm pumped for this look now on emby :)

• Like 2

kikinjo
15 hours ago, ebr said:

I just typed 90% , ok its 20% but this feature is not so complex that we should be waiting for it for years. There is something that is the backbone for it that's what i was pointing out.
Seems to me that we always have the same response , its complicated because we need to update all the apps.  Ok, than make it, or cut down the number of apps so we will have more features that people want (for years). Or don't make improvements for features that only small number of users will use and give priority to features like this that are wanted by bigger number of users.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marijuana said:

Hi Luke, what do you mean by you don't have artwork for it ? I'm sure there are people here that would love to make artwork for it me included. I would gladly contribute my time in making some crisp 4k banners if that's what your referring to. After watching apple tv videos on youtube for the last hour I'm pumped for this look now on emby :)

You are signing up to create specific artwork for every media item and all the new ones coming out?  I don't think that is realistic, unfortunately.

Apple has people doing just that (at least for the things they put in that spotlight).

rbjtech

If you are happy with more than one 'spotlight' item - then using 'banner' artwork actually looks ok. 

This is what I use now for my own version of 'spotlight' - this works on all clients today - it just uses the 'Photo' library type - which displays any image (and it's playable if you use a strm file with the same name alongside it..).  If you watch the item, it disappears from the Spotlight.. :)

On some of the clients - these are actually 'in your face' and you can only get two of them on the screen anyway.

Examples from an Android Phone below :-

Screenshot_20211119-140145_Emby.jpg.d6715c37b179aa07024b6587071f0d56.jpgScreenshot_20211119-140229_Emby.jpg.fe0cdf8241bf186f5bff433393d132c6.jpg

Screenshot_20211119-140310_Emby.jpg.c7921ef2765cd94f941e1039026d7b0c.jpg

These are the web server screens ..

spot2.PNG.dbded743c8b210e3bbc28bf67b9fa8a6.PNG

This is using the 'Backdrop' image instead of the 'Banner'

spot1.PNG.5dc4a20b188b4c2e80a0c5d05ae9c2aa.PNG

So yes, it's perfectly doable.  If extra 'long' or 'large' images can be accommodated, then great - but functionally - I personally think this works ok.

Screenshot_20211119-140401_Emby.jpg

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 3

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

This just begs for the third banner. 😊

spot3.PNG.2ce8c84c885f616ea40583e42fb12b39.PNG

There you go - I only had two entries in that library, so added a third ;).  

Also to note, the standard emby film scraper(s) does not get the banner artwork by default (TV Series does) - but you can easily get by edit 'image' and then select 'banner' to get it.

• Like 2

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

There you go - I only had two entries in that library, so added a third ;).

THANK YOU, my OCD was goin' ballistic just looking at that pic. 😉

6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Also to note, the standard emby film scraper(s) does not get the banner artwork by default (TV Series does) - but you can easily get by edit 'image' and then select 'banner' to get it.

Or use you know what. 😁

Edited by GrimReaper
Link
  • Haha 2

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Sorry - how do you get a banner view on the browser home page ?

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

This is what I use now for my own version of 'spotlight' - this works on all clients today - it just uses the 'Photo' library type - which displays any image (and it's playable if you use a strm file with the same name alongside it..).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

It's a 'Home videos & photos' Library.

The library just points to a single folder with the 3 x jpg's in it which are 'banner' jpg's renamed with a '-poster' appended so they can be used by the associated .strm file.

The .strm file points to the real media.  That makes them 'playable', otherwise you just get picture when you click it ;)

• Like 2

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I actually think it looks really nice - what are your views ?

I could modify my 'Recommendations' script to do this for a 'Spotlight' if people were interested, maybe even get it added as a plugin to search for a tag of 'Spotlight' or something and then automatically refresh the 'Spotlight' library even week etc...

• Like 1