Thunderstorm Procedure

playloud

playloud

I am a recent transplant from Southern California to Southeast Wisconsin.

I'm new to the frequent storms that come through, and I'm wondering what other Emby users do, if anything, to prepare or withstand a storm.

I have three hard drive enclosures with my movies and shows, as well as my computer with the Emby server.  

Do you shut off everything heading into a storm, in anticipation of a power outage?  Do you rely on surge protectors?  Even for a lightning strike?

Just curious what others have to say.

Thanks!

Jdiesel

You best best is to get a UPS. No need to get anything too large just enough to safely shut down your hardware in the event of a power loss.

• Like 2

mastrmind11

Yeah a UPS for sure.  APC has software that will shut your server down when its battery drops to a specified level/amount of time, and can do the same for other PCs on the same network that are also plugged into the UPS (for server + NAS setups or whatever)

jasonmcroy

I use a UPS with my server computer, router and modem and general surge protector on everything else. Where I am located we don't generally have an issue with actual power outages other than an occasional flicker or brief off then back on again electricity.

However, I am in a unique area that happens to be the lightning capital of the world! So, I have to make sure I am protected.

Q-Droid

I kick-off transcodes of entire libraries to see if I can beat the storm. Helluva rush!

But also have UPS for the blips, dips and outages. You can't beat lightning so I don't try.

• 1 month later...

I have a UPS for my network and emby server. I dont expect it to stop a direct hit and honestly if lightning hits my house the emby server is going to be really low on my list. The ups I have is a smartups from apc, I might be biased for liking them since i used to work on the medium sized ones ( 50kva ) when i worked at apc many years ago. Its worked well for me and i expanded the uptime by connecting 2 larger capacity batteries to it externally. Comes in very handy when we have brief power outages ( anything under 40 minutes ).