Nvidia Shield Wake up on LAN

qazwsx10

Good morning!

I saw two threads discussing this, but didn't see a conclusion to them yet (for one the last reply was from over an year ago, so I'm hoping it's been updated since then). 

I recently transitioned my Emby server from my PC to my Nvidia Shield. I have my media on an external hard drive that is directly connected to the Shield (I don't have a NAS yet). Although I don't mind having the Shield running all the time, I didn't want my external hard drives to be continuously running, so I have it currently set for them to shut off when the Shield goes to sleep.

However, I did notice when I did that, I was no longer able to access the Emby Server. I tried the Wake Server option, and I get the following message:

• "Wake On LAN packets were sent to your server machine, but we're unable to connect to your Emby Server. Your machine may need a little more time to wake, or Emby Server may not be actively running on the machine."

Am I doing something wrong, or does Android not have a WOL option?

Hi, to be honest I'm not sure we've tested this on the shield.

It's possible you may need to enable wake on lan in shield system settings. @@CBers, do you know?

I use Termux and Termux Boot which in you can configure `Wake-lock on`

Termux and Termux Boot are completely new to me, do you think you could point me to some good documentation to help me get started, @@EODCrafter? Any help is greatly appreciated!

EODCrafter

Termux and Termux Boot are completely new to me, do you think you could point me to some good documentation to help me get started, @@EODCrafter? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Termux and Termux Boot are well documented Programs that have excellent Wiki's and found very easily by Google Search But I will do it for you.....

https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Main_Page

Usage

1. Install the Termux:Boot app.

2. Start the Termux:Boot app once by clicking on its launcher icon. This allows the app to be run at boot.

3. Create the ~/.termux/boot/ directory: Put scripts you want to execute inside the ~/.termux/boot/ directory. If there are multiple files, they will be executed in a sorted order. Note that you may want to run termux-wake-lock as first thing if you want to ensure that the device is prevented from sleeping.

Example: to start an sshd server and prevent the device from sleeping at boot, create the following file at ~/.termux/boot/start-sshd:

#!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh
termux-wake-lock
sshd

If you need help Learning about Linux, there are numerous people on here that can help if I cannot get back to you right away. It has you creating a script, so a good read will be "How to use Vi Linux editor" or in Termux each app has a Help Page accessed by command 

man vi

or man "whatever"...man = manual.

Other useful commands.....

mkdir
cd ~
cd /home/username
whoami
pwd
pkg install
passwd
Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

Just Curious....If you have no Clue about Linux, Why not turn on Developer options and disable Sleep like that? It's a direct setting (Stay-Awake) under Dev Options.

Google ---> "How to enable Developer Options on Nvidia Shield"

I may have got this wrong since you are wanting it to sleep then wake, not sure you can have it both ways, TBH. I don't know how this works actually....

I didn't want my external hard drives to be continuously running, so I have it currently set for them to shut off when the Shield goes to sleep.

I use a unlimited Google Drive for all my Media Rather than an External Drive.

I found this????? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gbsoft.wol

Edited by EODCrafter

Termux and Termux Boot are well documented Programs that have excellent Wiki's and found very easily by Google Search But I will do it for you.....

https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Main_Page

Usage

1. Install the Termux:Boot app.

2. Start the Termux:Boot app once by clicking on its launcher icon. This allows the app to be run at boot.

3. Create the ~/.termux/boot/ directory: Put scripts you want to execute inside the ~/.termux/boot/ directory. If there are multiple files, they will be executed in a sorted order. Note that you may want to run termux-wake-lock as first thing if you want to ensure that the device is prevented from sleeping.

Example: to start an sshd server and prevent the device from sleeping at boot, create the following file at ~/.termux/boot/start-sshd:

#!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh
termux-wake-lock
sshd

If you need help Learning about Linux, there are numerous people on here that can help if I cannot get back to you right away. It has you creating a script, so a good read will be "How to use Vi Linux editor" or in Termux each app has a Help Page accessed by command 

man vi
or man "whatever"...man = manual.

Other useful commands.....

mkdir
cd ~
cd /home/username
whoami
pwd
pkg install
passwd

Thank you so much @@EODCrafter! I'll read over these and hopefully get a stronger understanding until I can start using it! And potentially reach out when I start struggling...

Just Curious....If you have no Clue about Linux, Why not turn on Developer options and disable Sleep like that? It's a direct setting (Stay-Awake) under Dev Options.

Google ---> "How to enable Developer Options on Nvidia Shield"

I may have got this wrong since you are wanting it to sleep then wake, not sure you can have it both ways, TBH. I don't know how this works actually....

I use a unlimited Google Drive for all my Media Rather than an External Drive.

I found this????? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gbsoft.wol

So I'm perfectly fine with disabling Sleep for the Nvidia Shield, but my concern was keeping my external hard drives spinning 24/7 since the TV in our living room is the only client for our server. When I have the shield running 24/7, I do notice that the external hard drives also are running 24/7.

I was planning on using my Google Drive as a backup up option with my media encrypted with RClone (once I learn how to use that as well). Do you keep your content encrypted when stored on Google Drive when using it or is left unencrypted? If it's the second option are you ever concerned about getting your account banned?

EODCrafter

Thank you so much @@EODCrafter! I'll read over these and hopefully get a stronger understanding until I can start using it! And potentially reach out when I start struggling...

So I'm perfectly fine with disabling Sleep for the Nvidia Shield, but my concern was keeping my external hard drives spinning 24/7 since the TV in our living room is the only client for our server. When I have the shield running 24/7, I do notice that the external hard drives also are running 24/7.

I was planning on using my Google Drive as a backup up option with my media encrypted with RClone (once I learn how to use that as well). Do you keep your content encrypted when stored on Google Drive when using it or is left unencrypted? If it's the second option are you ever concerned about getting your account banned?

Nothing I have on there is illegal, Just backups of the Media that I own the rights to.

Connecting and Controlling external Devices is way out of the Scope of Support for Emby, I suggest Nvidia Shield Forums.

Edited by EODCrafter

Nothing I have on there is illegal, Just backups of the Media that I own the rights to.

Connecting and Controlling external Devices is way out of the Scope of Support for Emby, I suggest Nvidia Shield Forums.

Sorry I should have clarified, all the media I have is completely legal as well, but I've heard that even if you own those copies, Google may still delete an account if they scan it. This was why I wanted to use RClone. But if it hasn't impacted you, then maybe that is a better option. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have stored on GDrive?

EODCrafter

Sorry I should have clarified, all the media I have is completely legal as well, but I've heard that even if you own those copies, Google may still delete an account if they scan it. This was why I wanted to use RClone. But if it hasn't impacted you, then maybe that is a better option. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have stored on GDrive?

1/2 TB as of now. If they see you streaming it to Multiple sources, I would think they might look deeper into it for using there Bandwidth, but normal use is ok. AFAIK Fuse/RClone will not work on Termux. I have only had Success Side Loading the Google Drive Plugin.

Edited by EODCrafter