Upload Limitations

deecemobile

deecemobile

Hi guys, here is my current scenario. Is there a bottleneck or is this realistic.

I pay for a Gigabit speed internet through Bell (Canada). I have their home hub 3000 modem/router in bridge mode to my Netgear R7000. From any computer on my network I can get (according to speedtest) a maximum of 600-700 Mbps down and 300-400 Mbps up at any given time. All LAN ports are gigabit, NICs are gigabit and cables are cat 5e. With all limitations in uploading removed in Emby, the max upload speed from Emby peaks around 200 mbps. For testing, Remote friend is downloading 8 movies at a time, each transfer is maxing out at 16-24 mbps. If we do less transfers they will be faster but there is still a hard limit. Where is that limitation coming from? 

Computer is an older i7, plenty of memory, ssd. 

I assume your friend has a decent download connection and network as well.

To cross out any issue related to your Internet connection or your friend, can you download at a higher speed on your local network from your server to another computer?

If you can't, my guess would be server hardware bottleneck. Are they all direct play/download? Transcoding may cause a bottleneck on your CPU.

It could be also be HDD related, either on your side or your friend's, although 200mbps is quite a low rate for a HDD. 

rbjtech

Generally internet speedtests are multi-connection - ie they open multiple connections and run the downloads in parallel to achieve the throughput.    I don't know for sure, but i would imagine that Emby's download is using a single connection stream and thus is where your speed 'restriction' are likely coming from.